Active Topics

Posts: 3,790 | Thanked: 5,718 times | Joined on Mar 2006 @ Vienna, Austria
Originally Posted by Zeta View Post
to add to the confusion, remember that most of Jolla's staff is not a native speaker either, so what is written here can either be a pure english usage of this word, or a mistaken one biased from their own native langage
True, I hadn't thought of this. Now, when they say "soon", what exactly... and in what language...?

The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to benny1967 For This Useful Post:
Originally Posted by benny1967 View Post
Now, when they say "soon", what exactly... and in what language...?
Oh, I know that!
"Soon" is german and means "eventuell"… wait.

But as with other things, I choose to believe they'll pull this off.
___
list of i486/noarch packages on openrepos (jolla tablet)

The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to velox For This Useful Post:
Community Council | Posts: 1,669 | Thanked: 10,225 times | Joined on Nov 2014 @ Lower Rhine
Originally Posted by velox View Post
Oh, I know that!
"Soon" is german and means "eventuell"… wait.
not exactly,
But soon translates to "Bald" in german.
So for english speakers it seems to be including loss of all hair in the meantime.

Last edited by mosen; 2017-04-07 at 16:17. Reason: included quote

The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to mosen For This Useful Post:
Posts: 3,464 | Thanked: 5,107 times | Joined on Feb 2010 @ Gothenburg in Sweden
Originally Posted by benny1967 View Post
I assume you're not a native speaker and I assume that in your language there's a word that's similar to "eventually", but means something different.

In German, for example, we have "eventuell". It means something along the lines of "it might happen, it might as well not happen". Because of this, generations of students have misunderstood English texts at school.

So maybe there's something in your language that keeps you from understanding the sentence?
Yes me fail....

swedish eventuellt <=> english perhaps

Last edited by mikecomputing; 2017-04-07 at 18:34.

The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to mikecomputing For This Useful Post:
Posts: 187 | Thanked: 162 times | Joined on May 2010 @ Sunny Woollahra
When there's a phone available that runs SailfishOS in Australia I'll buy it.

Hopefully it also says Nokia on it, but if It says Sony I'm ok with that.

The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to rfa For This Useful Post:
There has been some activity related to the China announcement http://telegra.ph/Sailfish-China-con...on-phase-04-05

Helsinki, Finland, April 5, 2017 - Jolla Ltd., the Finnish mobile company and developer of open mobile operating system Sailfish OS announces that Sailfish China OS is proceeding into implementation phase. Jolla expects that within 6 months China will have its own independent mobile operating system, based on Sailfish OS.

Earlier this year (press release February 27), Jolla announced that it has granted a Sailfish OS license to a Chinese consortium, giving the consortium an exclusive license and rights to further develop a Chinese operating system based on Sailfish OS. The Sailfish China consortium will develop Sailfish OS based solutions for secure smartphones, the automotive industry, TV, IoT and smartwatches. The Sailfish consortium targets to invest 250 million USD to the Sailfish ecosystem development in China.

Chairman of Jolla Ltd., Antti Saarnio comments:

“As President of China is just now visiting Finland, we are proud to announce that the Sailfish China project is proceeding very well, and we have now started the implementation phase of the project. We expect that in less than 6 months China will have its own independent mobile operating system based on Sailfish OS.” Sailfish OS is the only mobile operating system, which is available for countries to license.

It origins from Nokia’s MeeGo operating system, which Jolla’s start-up team further continued and created into Sailfish OS.

Saarnio continues: “This is an excellent example of technological collaboration between Finland and China. I expect that many similar collaboration projects will follow. There has been many Chinese projects aiming to develop a mobile operating system, but they all have failed. It takes several years to develop an operating system, and it is much wiser to utilize existing technology, and license it.”

“Personally I believe that Finland and China can both benefit hugely from sharing technologies. To accelerate this, Finland and China could create joint R&D centers in the core technology areas such as mobile, clean tech, energy technology, and others.”

Currently Sailfish OS is licensed by Russia and China. Jolla is actively negotiating with new partner countries.

Saarnio concludes: “We expect that by 2022, 10 to 20 countries have followed Russia’s and China’s example and are building their secure mobile communication based on Sailfish OS. With Russia being already on board, Sailfish OS is ideal to be used in the whole one belt one road area.”

The Following 14 Users Say Thank You to salyavin For This Useful Post:

Tags
jolla, mwc 2017, sailfish os, sony xperia