Posts: 44 | Thanked: 14 times | Joined on Jul 2011 @ The Netherlands
I wonder if there is anyone who uses his or her phone the way I do and tell me how the N9 is working for them.

I mainly use my N900 as Mp3 player which works out very well cause I have a 8gb microsd card that holds most of my music, and I can always expand the music library with the internal memory. but the N9 doesn't have that microsd card slot.

does anyone have a problem with there 16GB N9 in terms of having to little available memory?

I'm convinced of the N9's qualities except for this little thing, I never would have thought that Nokia would go the Apple way and not install a MicroSd slot though.

Last edited by MI3000; 2012-01-01 at 12:13.

Posts: 1,225 | Thanked: 1,905 times | Joined on Feb 2011 @ Quezon City, Philippines
16GB is tiny, when you start using 320kbps/V0 MP3s. My entire library is at around 12GB, and for some reason I feel the need to carry the entire library around with me all the time. BTW, the N9 is a great phone to watch movies on, if you don't want to carry around a tablet. 720p movies take around ~1GB for 1.5 hours though. I'd say just grab a 64GB N9.

Posts: 150 | Thanked: 169 times | Joined on Nov 2011 @ Sweden
If you have a functioning N900, what on earth could possess you to want to trade it for an N9? I don't get it. I could see if you were late to the party and couldn't get a hold of a new N900, you'd maybe get an N9 instead as a consolation prize. But to go from N900 to N9? Talk about downgrade.

Just get a Sandisk mobile ultra 32gb card for your N900, or better yet set up an upnp server on your PC or install Knots2 and stream your whole music collection from your home computer on the go.

The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to bocephus For This Useful Post:
Posts: 2,448 | Thanked: 9,523 times | Joined on Aug 2010 @ Wigan, UK
You mad bro?

Anyhow, 16GB model only has around 9GB free on MyDocs, so it's not much use as a media jukebox unless you want to stream all your content.

My website

GitHub

Posts: 44 | Thanked: 14 times | Joined on Jul 2011 @ The Netherlands
Originally Posted by bocephus View Post
If you have a functioning N900, what on earth could possess you to want to trade it for an N9? I don't get it. I could see if you were late to the party and couldn't get a hold of a new N900, you'd maybe get an N9 instead as a consolation prize. But to go from N900 to N9? Talk about downgrade.

Just get a Sandisk mobile ultra 32gb card for your N900, or better yet set up an upnp server on your PC or install Knots2 and stream your whole music collection from your home computer on the go.

I didn't mean to offend man, its more of a precautionary method because if I have learned anything about owning a mobile phone over the years, is that you have to get out while the getting is good. as precious as my N900 is to me, I know it won't live forever and my contract is up soon and rather than running the risk of my phone dying in the middle of another simonly contract, (at which point my only backup phone is a motorola V3 Razr) I thought I would get the last salute to a time that nokia was an independant mobile phone giant, the N9. that's pretty much the story.

@marxian, Yes I think the only logical thing to do when I do get an N9 is to follow Hurrian's advise and get the 64gb model.

Originally Posted by marxian View Post
You mad bro?

Anyhow, 16GB model only has around 9GB free on MyDocs, so it's not much use as a media jukebox unless you want to stream all your content.
This.

It says 16 GB, but you would be wrong thinking you will get all 16 GB for your stuff. It's divided into 3 segments: apps (4.2 GB), app data (2.1 GB) and user data (9.5 GB).

9.5 GB is still a lot though, unless you absolutely must have all your mp3s with you all the time.

Are you willing to pay more for the privilege of not having to transfer files to your phone often? Yes = get the 64GB model. No = get the 16 GB one.

Posts: 81 | Thanked: 29 times | Joined on Jul 2011 @ Romania
what are u talking about, 9.5 gb for user is an absolutelly downgrade. a muvie at 720p is about 4.5 gb, so what are u thinking about, watch a movie and download again another one?
i use my n900 as movie player mostly ( i fill entire memory at 3-4-5 days with movies, also 6-10 gb music allwais there), and i watch whatever i want, when i want, were i want.
keeping only two movies on the phone, it is an absolutelly stupidity ( from nokia ). were i will put my music? where i will put

from my point of wiew, if u can "upgrade" from n900 to n9, the doit with at least 64 gb n9. the only thing that n9 deserve my attention is hdmi connection, but there are a lot of other phones with hdmy. also, u wan a phone with an incert future?
too many promises.

there are some samsung tabletes that probably can replace n900 with great success. don't hurry up.

PS: happy new year!!!

Banned | Posts: 706 | Thanked: 296 times | Joined on May 2010
N9 is a definite downgrade in terms of features. Its an immature OS compared to Maemo5. The only positives are the form factor, and much better VKB (which no one uses on n900). everything else is way rudimentary to the point where I gave my N9 to my son as I though it would perfectly fit his need for a dumb smartphone

Originally Posted by bocephus View Post

This is what possibly killed maemo. Releasing superb devices that work after 2-3 years of constant use. Bought a second-hand N900 for 120$ with a tiny crack on side of screen and 3 months of warranty mostly for experimenting with overclocking/patches/undervolting. When this dies I'm going back to my main and considering all the fix-it-yourself threads I am no longer worried by the prospect of having no alternative (unless N950 goes public) for the next couple of years.

Posts: 150 | Thanked: 169 times | Joined on Nov 2011 @ Sweden
szopin: Yeah, I've been using my overclocked N900 daily for two years, and it's still pretty much like new. If it ever fails I've got a second one that is warrantied into 2013 that I haven't even unpacked from its box yet. If Maemo can be made to run on the new Samsung i927 I would seriously consider getting that, but it's still N900 all the way for me. And that in itself is a sad commentary on the stagnant state of mobile devices today - that still after three years there's nothing that can completely replace it.