Active Topics

Notices

Hey pals,

As I was reading at maemo.org talk I read about some stuff that kinda confused me:

1- CSSU
2- kernel powers or so...
3- Nitdroid

What are kernel powers?
Can I install all the three applications above all together?
Will these applications affect the performance of the n900?become slow or so...
How come a maemo OS become an android OS?

I would be really thankful for any member that might make the image clear for me.

Posts: 412 | Thanked: 480 times | Joined on Feb 2011 @ Bronx, NY
1 CSSU is an update to the software ..nokia no longer supports this phone so now the community does there is a stable version that is recommend for new users

2 kernel power is an update to the cpu drivers ... this more for a power user than your average user

3 Android has alot of apps available but again is more for a power user

I suggest reading a lot more before using 2 or 3

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Mike Fila For This Useful Post:
Originally Posted by Mike Fila View Post
1 CSSU is an update to the software ..nokia no longer supports this phone so now the community does there is a stable version that is recommend for new users

2 kernel power is an update to the cpu drivers ... this more for a power user than your average user

3 Android has alot of apps available but again is more for a power user

I suggest reading a lot more before using 2 or 3
Hey Mike Fila

What do you mean by power user?

Besides, any answers for the remaining questions?

A power user is some one who has knowledge of doing things manually. Entering code and manipulating the inner workings of the N900 without help of a graphical user interface.

Yes they are meant to enhance/speed up the N900 but if you dont know what you are doing (power user) they will likely slow it down or make it unusable all together.

The Following User Says Thank You to Mike Fila For This Useful Post:
A power user is some one who has knowledge of doing things manually. Entering code and manipulating the inner workings of the N900 without help of a graphical user interface.

Yes they are meant to enhance/speed up the N900 but if you dont know what you are doing (power user) they will likely slow it down or make it unusable all together.
Aha then for sure it is not me... I am not a so professional user at all
I am so new to such things.

But, I really like to try the nitdroid...So, you don't advise me to do so?

Besides, Is it true that I can install any version that I like of the android OS using nitdroid?

read read and read some more androind installation is very well documented ...it's definitly achivable but it is not simple nor something that should be attempted on just a whim

there are many versions available but the newest version will have fixes for the most common problems. the first post of the thread is always updated so that the most current version will be listed there. Use the power search funtion on the right column to search for nitdroid installation.

btw nitdroid is mainly for apps they have not been able to get the telephone functions working correctly

The Following User Says Thank You to Mike Fila For This Useful Post:

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Mike Fila For This Useful Post:
http://talk.maemo.org/showthread.php...72#post1139372

start with that thread and pay close attention to the link ammyt posted
ok I read the thread you gave me in the link above... It increased my fears more yet explained some issues.But, ammyt is so sure of it's stability...
It's ok if I cannot call or send messages since I will be using maemo most of the times and boot to android when I need so....

But ,as you said, I will read more and more about the whole procedure before i give it a try.

I just read somewhere that to install nitdroid I must reflash my phone before and that I should create a backup before. But, they said that conversations from third party applications can't be saved...is that true?Then if I have some msn pecan or haze conversations...they'll be lost??Did anyone of you guys create a backup and lost such conversations before?

Besides I was just wondering: is nitdroid a legal permission from the android company, or an unlegal haking, or such applications don't need a permission? If such applications don't need permission then this would allow professionals to create any door to any OS they want without the permission of the OS owners or companies.

thankfull for any answers!!

Posts: 1,918 | Thanked: 3,118 times | Joined on Oct 2010 @ My pants
Originally Posted by Virtuality View Post
I just read somewhere that to install nitdroid I must reflash my phone before and that I should create a backup before. But, they said that conversations from third party applications can't be saved...is that true?Then if I have some msn pecan or haze conversations...they'll be lost??Did anyone of you guys create a backup and lost such conversations before?

Besides I was just wondering: is nitdroid a legal permission from the android company, or an unlegal haking, or such applications don't need a permission? If such applications don't need permission then this would allow professionals to create any door to any OS they want without the permission of the OS owners or companies.

thankfull for any answers!!
Nothin' illegel here hun' da power of open source!
Secondly, it is -advisable- that you create a backup, and that you reflash your phone using the modified eMMC image (I know it sounds hard but it ain't). Then just run the autoinstaller I have created and you'll have NITDroid in no more than 20 minutes.

The Following User Says Thank You to ammyt For This Useful Post: