I just bought the att version, the captivate 5 minutes ago and boy its fast. The haptic feedback is so much better than what i got with my 5800XM and on the N900. I'm still figuring out Android. It's harder than the transition from iOS to Maemo5... I guess I will be fine by the end of the day.

Last edited by Ayle; 2010-07-19 at 18:43.

Originally Posted by quipper8 View Post
It is ju st the back that feels cheap. It is shiny hard plastic . Pit a metal back on it and it would feel just as nice as anything out there. Must be a lot more plastic in it than other phones though because it feels ultralxight
Meh...when I removed the "metal" battery cover on my Moto Droid, I saw a consistent 5dBm gain in signal power. From what I understand, every 4-5 dBM is a 50% change in Tx/Rx power? I hear what you're saying though...my girl's e71 "feels solid" however I'll take reception over feel any day.

FWIW, my n900 feels more sold though "plasticy" than the HTC TP2 I was looking at. TP2 seemed like it would fall apart if you looked at it wrong.

Posts: 56 | Thanked: 9 times | Joined on Nov 2009 @ ,, Earth !
Seriously .. captivate ROCKS! dunno why they gave us that shitty GSM version .. it's damn ugly !

Vibrant < Facsinate < GSM < Epic4G < CAPTIVATE !

Originally Posted by colnago View Post
Meh...when I removed the "metal" battery cover on my Moto Droid, I saw a consistent 5dBm gain in signal power. From what I understand, every 4-5 dBM is a 50% change in Tx/Rx power? ....
Since this was posed as a question.... Without getting into stuff like dB = 10 log10 ( P1 / P2 ) (yeah very simplified)
Rules of thumb.
+/- 3dB is double or half power
+/- 6dB is quadruple or quarter power
+/- 10dB is 10X or 1/10 power
+/- 20dB is 100X or 1/100 power
etc.
Actually fun stuff to work with as you don't have to remember log tables
So, plastic is mostly transparent to RF and metal will reflect or re-radiate RF.
Take care.

Posts: 127 | Thanked: 41 times | Joined on Dec 2007 @ Aspen Colorado
I picked one up over the weekend and just saying "Me too" on many of the positive comments.

However, I did mistakenly assume there was a native Skype client. Well, I guess there is, but it is exclusive to Verizon. While I'm very happy overall with T-Mobile, their coverage sucks in my living room. To get around this I set up a Skype-in number and forward incoming TMO calls to it when the phone isn't registered on the cell network. This works surprisingly well, and on the N900, it is of course seamless. I didn't expect that level of integration, but at least make an app available (that isn't crippled to not allow WiFi calls).

That's the biggest disappointment. I think the lousy state of podcast clients is another, and I'm a bit surprised to see how much I'm missing Weave sync bookmarks and tabs.

I'd also like to see better reviews on the marketplace. Everything is either ****** best app ever penned by humans! or * bricked my phone, with no real reviews. I guess that's something that will come in time, but it shows that a lot of the comments are from 1st time smartphone users.

The navigation is OK, but going through a dead zone showed the main weakness. The compass seems to be worthless, and I've read several comments on the nets about that as well. The radio on the N900 seems to be a little better, and the N900 does a much better job switching from 3G/Cellular radio to WiFi.

So I'm going to keep it and switch the simcard when the mood strikes. All the complaints seem to go away when the big bright screen lights up. And I've already downloaded several books on the Kindle app, and I can already tell that's going to get expensive real soon. Once I can get Audible books again, I may be able to switch permanently, but for now I need an automatic podcast client, and GPodder is the best I've found.

Posts: 28 | Thanked: 11 times | Joined on Nov 2009 @ Philly USA
I have had the samsung vibrant for a week and I am really liking it so far. Had to get used to our coming from my n900, I going tp keep my n900 and use it over wifi. The camera is good and has night mode which takes great pics in low light.

Posts: 162 | Thanked: 42 times | Joined on Dec 2009 @ Finland
I just ordered the Galaxy S. Should arrive on tuesday. Im so excited

Posts: 156 | Thanked: 28 times | Joined on Dec 2009 @ Los Angeles, CA
I like the samsung vibrant better to me it's nearly perfect as a android phone. some things bother me though:

the back panel looks too plasticy/cheap (captivate back panel better)
i've been seeing huge reception drops (though no dropped calls) for both the captivate and vibrant on youtube:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dogM4Wu51tc
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jLJPMcPUi7E

But on the brightside it's still a great phone
no dropped bars even with 0 bars
has the humming bird 1gh cpu (similar to the one samsung manufactures for iphone)
great graphics performance
a really polished OS with less problems than the captivate

I believe the captivate and vibrant will erode the consumer base of the iphone, =P and rightfully so. It's everything the iphone is and better, more polished os, simple UI, bigger screen, and with more features such as flash video

Last edited by RogerTHAcctant; 2010-07-24 at 22:03.

Posts: 6 | Thanked: 2 times | Joined on Apr 2010 @ Twin Cities
One of the dealbreakers for me was the lack of a notification LED. There is an app that has a random moving red dot for notification purposes, but crikies....

I have also been hearing problems with media player issues-but the inclusion of a DLNA clinet is a win in my book.

I still think the N900 works for me as a daily driver.

Posts: 28 | Thanked: 11 times | Joined on Nov 2009 @ Philly USA
OI just installed psx (playstation)emulator on my vibrant, it flies with no lag. The phone is awesome for gaming, was playing metal gear solid and mortal combat 4. I am enjoying the vibrant, I rooted it and now just waiting on custom roms. If anyone is looking for a new device, I recommended the galaxy s. I still enjoy using my n900 but the vibrant is my primary.