Active Topics

Posts: 1,729 | Thanked: 388 times | Joined on Jan 2010 @ Canada
my n900's usb port is 6 months old, so far i have not see any problems (maybe because i have a spare battery and charger).

i used the charger in-the-box (not filed the prongs yet) to charge the n900 for a week or two until i read this thread. from that day, i filed down all my micro usb's (yes! including my 5800, n97 and n86).

and reading Texrat's blog about a 2nd time n900 micro USB fail made me think that most n900's wont last a year without the microUSB fail, but i'd rather not think that way (or even tell 'bout it in this post).

well i love the way the n900 works, if the usb broke (that im praying NOT!) i will send it to nokia and patiently wait for repair/replacement. if they dont fix it in warranty, i will get a new one (yeah BUY one!), and donate my old one to a person with the specialty to fix it.

so far everything is fine. and keeping an eye out of it.

"The best way to break a Spell is to prevent it from being cast in the first place"

N900: 1000/1150mhz; sampling_rate 15; up_threshold 150000;

Posts: 11,700 | Thanked: 10,045 times | Joined on Jun 2006 @ North Texas, USA
For those unfamiliar with my blog, the latest article on the usb failures also links back to the first 2: http://tabulacrypticum.wordpress.com...sb-detachment/

No word from anyone in Nokia on the continuation of this problem.

The Following User Says Thank You to Texrat For This Useful Post:
Posts: 549 | Thanked: 299 times | Joined on Jun 2010 @ Australian in the Philippines
Originally Posted by lancewex View Post
Why will they not fix it? I'd like to know more.
This issue is worthy of a law suit. So is Nokia's awful repair service (at least in the US).
For certain I'd be angry if my usb port snapped off, but so far most people admit to having had accidents while charging - tripping over the lead, dropping off the table, and so on. This type of damage falls outside the scope of warranty provision, so you would not be successful in any legal venture in that regard.

Nokia not fixing it though, that's kind of frustrating. Unfortunately when the damage is a result of an end user accident, they don't have to repair it if they don't want to.

Posts: 3,159 | Thanked: 2,023 times | Joined on Feb 2008 @ Finland
Originally Posted by Mandor View Post
...which was caused partially by gravity and a pillow.
here probably is the reason why it costs. warranty is for material -etc defects, insurance is for gravity.
If the link doesn't help, just use
Google Custom Search

Posts: 11,700 | Thanked: 10,045 times | Joined on Jun 2006 @ North Texas, USA
Originally Posted by ossipena View Post
here probably is the reason why it costs. warranty is for material -etc defects, insurance is for gravity.
The defect was in using a surface mount component, especially one with no bracing whatsoever.

Properly done, even a hard yank shouldn't pull the connector free.

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Texrat For This Useful Post:
Posts: 2,222 | Thanked: 12,651 times | Joined on Mar 2010 @ SOL 3
@texrat: ACK. I'm pondering three approaches: 1) Cyanoacrylat. 2)special adapter that has extremely short handle end on micro-USB plug and this way no lever to apply bending force to the receptacle. 3) Get rid of micro-USB usage for everyday routine, means drill 2 holes into back battery cover, glue 2 copper pads on N900 body under the holes and connect to VBUS and GND, charge in cradle equipped with 2 pogopins protruding through the holes (question: fastcharge [D+/- short] detection? possible answer: jrbme)

A pity Nokia doesn't consider fixing this **** for good

cheers
jOERG

EX Hildon Foundation approved
Maemo Administration Coordinator (stepped down due to bullying 2014-04-05)
aka "techstaff" - the guys who keep your infra running - Devotion to Duty http://xkcd.com/705/

IRC(freenode): DocScrutinizer*
First USB hostmode fanatic, father of H-E-N

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to joerg_rw For This Useful Post:
Posts: 149 | Thanked: 140 times | Joined on Sep 2009 @ YUL
Originally Posted by ossipena View Post
I did not go to Nokia demanding that they repair my N900. I know it is my fault for not taking extra care of a fragile but necessary part of the phone.

Anyway, I have been turned down by Nokia for any repair (paid or free). The cost for repair was prohibitively expensive at the only shop I found in my city willing to try to repair it.

Yet, if you allow me the quote myself : "It will break again". I think this is the message I and the two previous poster are trying to convey here.

But this is, again, turning into a "Broke USB port" thread. The reason why I made this thread is :

Nokia is bad but the smartphone industry, as a whole, is even worst. That is why I decided to wait for the open/free well built Meego/Harmattan phone from Nokia. If not, I give up ...

Originally Posted by SavageD View Post
Wow, I cringe everytime I hear about another usb port gone. Mine has not fallen out though, if it ever does, I plan to solder it back myself ...
Good luck with that...I hope you have some micro-soldering tools. The USB leads are tiny and spaced closely together (0.5mm?). You'll also have little to no room to work on one side of the port.

Posts: 237 | Thanked: 167 times | Joined on Feb 2007 @ Powell, OH
Originally Posted by Mandor View Post
I see your point guys, but I need that USB port. I won't be able to flash the device anymore, I won't be able to upgrade Sygic Mobile Maps 9 to 10 without the USB port. Using the GPS for a long trip is not an option anymore.
Couldn't you just copy Sygic 10 to your micro SD card (external reader needed) and then move it to the root file system once the card is install in the N900?

Both the charger and the data USB cables had really strong latches, such that they required too much force to pull them out. I suppose they're like that to avoid the cable falling out, but the drawback is with every disconnect you have no choice but to put more strain on the connector, and if you happen to yank the cable or phone accidentally then instead of disconnecting it will strain it even more.

Maybe that's the problem. I tried a different cable from a Samsung phone and that one goes in and out easily without much effort. I tried to push the latches in on my cables and they're now somewhat easier to disconnect.