Closed Thread
Banned | Posts: 3,412 | Thanked: 1,043 times | Joined on Feb 2010
Originally Posted by gerbick View Post
Lemme guess... you're talking about woody and estel I take it?

Woody came here, full of fire. I can appreciate his willingness to admit when he's wrong.

Estel, to be honest... I've avoided his posts because his tone is not one that I could acquire a taste for. He's rather acerbic and I cannot say that I agree with ½ of what he says, if anything to be honest - mainly due to tone.

vi, same. His tonality has been an issue for me on many posts where his point was great, but the delivery was my issue.

The above two have the same manner of speaking as the only person on my ignore list, benny1967.

Some of the people that I truly look forward to posting have been silent in this thread or reserved. So to see Marxian drop a post in this thread, I was surprised. But look at his tone, his activity and his participation. That dude gets what community means. The above... they're seemingly busy establishing themselves in a community as an outstanding individual that once you disagree with them, they'll state whatever they want, in a way that's not becoming of their station at times.

And they got rewarded for that behavior it seems.

If this stuff was still based on karma points, I'd be a shoo-in. If this was based on community participation, I have to finally say that I get what Arie and (to a much lesser extent) abill_uk is stating... some of the aforementioned folks in this thread that are being questioned have stated that they will do nothing more for this community.

And they got rewarded for that behavior too, it seems.

Meh, complaining about it ad nauseum won't change anything. Nor adding them to an ignore list. The last breaths of this forum will end up being sullied by rewarding such individuals and come January, this place will invariably get shuttered because funding has been removed, nobody will be able to legally take the autobuilder and repositories away with Maemo/MeeGo code in it.

Funny thing. I vowed to not put my name in the running for anything after I had a rather nasty dispute with Quim about why I wasn't awarded a N950 the first time because I had three Android applications that I was willing to port - two were already in the Android Market - and I was quickly learning Qt.

I have to hand it to him. He stayed civil, even kind in all of his responses to me. Didn't have to be that way, but he was. Compare that to this thread; I cannot say that I'm a fan of how many people are acting.

I've since placed Qt on the back-burner, in fact I'll probably not go back to it since Nokia has abandoned it and only RIM is going to use it and I'm definitely not a RIM/Blackberry fan. I guess that was a blessing in disguise.

Cooler heads need to prevail. Calm down folks. It's just a device that we didn't get. And I repeat... if you have a guilty conscience, feel free to send me yours.
You are a long standing member and you suprise me that you have not learned what the score is all about on here, quim is a total waste of time always has been and always will be as he is Nokia lead and only thinks of Nokia baiting this community then ...NOTHING.... right from day one of his existence.

Estel is not only a nasty person and as you said he get's thanks for his nastiness from the group of old standing and there followers on here, THIS is what has made this community a battle ground for the above reasons, it stopped being a community long long time ago because of very unfair moderation by the likes of chemist, texrat and just about every moderator.

They have fully controlled this farce of a community by the way they have moderated and allowed estel and co the freedom to rip people apart.

Reggie is fair but he knows it is coming to an end for him and to be honest i am not looking forward to the day he hands this over to anyone because at that point it will be the finish for me and i know for sure many others on here.

The elected council are nothing but thieves in my opinion and up to now they are getting away with it and bad mouthing everyone that comes on here to disagree.

The N900 was supposed to be OPEN SOURCE ... what a load of abollocks that turned out to be thanks to Nokia.

This community is finished now under the farce of this new council and i think they know it but STILL have not done anything about it.

Times have changed on here !.

Last edited by abill_uk; 2012-06-24 at 03:37.

Originally Posted by Arie View Post
At a time when we as a community need to stick together more than ever, the greed of certain individuals has already tainted the new council.

At this point there is nothing more I want to do with Harmattan or maemo.org.

I have been called a troll by council members and people that are clearly not aware of what I am trying to get across.

With this, Estel, Woody, Vi_, and the rest of those people can enjoy the end of an era.

I am done supporting the council in any of it's efforts, if anything is to happen to this community, I am placing the blame solely on you. You have destroyed a place that I had faith in and trusted, but to have certain people come out and treat me as such, has been completely disrespectful.

The council should be ashamed of it's conduct in this thread and no less towards people who have tried to help the community stay alive.

Thank you to all who have helped get my point out from itsnotabigtruck, creamy goodness, wolke, sifo, ZogG, thedead1440, marxian, abill_uk, and even Gerbick and anyone else you have forgotten.

I hope that the council is satisfied. You have created a bigger rift in between the communities and instead of trying to fix it, you have put us down, misinterpreted our statements and belittled us. All because you are interested in keeping a piece of outdated technology in your pocket. Bravo.

All you had to do to solve this issue was give up 2 devices to 2 people and I have no doubt no one would have complained.

You have earned yourselves a place as the worst council to come into history here, before even doing anything major.

Putting me on an ignore list won't solve your issue, there are so many more people fighting to get my point across.

Good Luck Maemo.org, you will need it.

SD69, thank you for all of your efforts so far in this community and I appreciate all the behind the scenes work you have done for us, we will forever be indebted to you for keeping this place running. You are one of the unsung hero's of maemo.org.
Why leave here? stick around to see the end you might get some home truths come out from some members prepared to speak there mind that will make you happy.

Don't let the b'stards grind you down is the old saying and if you think like this you will stay on here to see the end results.

STAY Arie and do this ok.

Posts: 528 | Thanked: 345 times | Joined on Aug 2010 @ MLB.AU
Maemo will always have a communty!

Originally Posted by bingomion View Post

Maemo is finished and with it will go this community so you keep dreaming if it makes you happy.

Posts: 528 | Thanked: 345 times | Joined on Aug 2010 @ MLB.AU

The Following User Says Thank You to bingomion For This Useful Post:
Originally Posted by don.edri View Post
Hi all!
I'm following this thread form the beginning and I can see that dispute is getting angrier and angrier all the time. I think this might be the solution to the problem:

As obviously, part of the community is dissatisfied with the results of CA awards and council granting themselves some of the prizes, I think it can not be ignored. Therefore I suggest there is a vote by community to resolve this issue. The vote to confirm what steps should be taken - is it to keep the current state of affairs or to review the results of CA. I guess that if most of the community agrees that current results are just, CA results will get the required legitimacy and we can go on waiting for PR 1.3 without all this nonsense. Otherwise, the preferred way if action will be described by community and hopefully the council members will comply; again, everybody will be satisfied, and able to focus on waiting for PR 1.3 !
I have suggested this 3 times up to now and no one wants to start the vote thread off so please do that if you would.

Posts: 5,795 | Thanked: 3,151 times | Joined on Feb 2007 @ Agoura Hills Calif
Interesting quote from today's Washington Post:

"...members of Congress ... do not understand that public trust is eroded when people see lawmakers take actions that have the potential to benefit themselves."

The Following 8 Users Say Thank You to geneven For This Useful Post:
Moderator | Posts: 6,215 | Thanked: 6,400 times | Joined on Nov 2011
abill the reason why a new thread is not being started by us is due to us not wanting to be split...you see all the attention is already on this thread and people are voicing out here...a new thread will effectively discard all the discussion here and make things messy...

the solution is simple...look at those who were undeserving of the device including 3 out of 4 council members. Just 2 of them need to give up their devices to itsnotabigtruck and e-yes to soothe thngs over...

BUT the Council looks to be ignorant at worst or naive at best for those on the outside...not an attack but the general impression one gets when you see such debate being done just because 2 ppl don't want to give up their n950s to more deserving people who have and will continue to benefit the community...

Edit: Before someone gets the wrong impression, I absolutely agree that SD69 deserves his award. He's been the unsung hero of the community and nobody at all berudges him his long-deserved award. This award is the least the community could give him.

Last edited by thedead1440; 2012-06-24 at 04:12. Reason: clarification

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to thedead1440 For This Useful Post:
Originally Posted by thedead1440 View Post
abill the reason why a new thread is not being started by us is due to us not wanting to be split...you see all the attention is already on this thread and people are voicing out here...a new thread will effectively discard all the discussion here and make things messy...

the solution is simple...look at those who were undeserving of the device including 3 out of 4 council members. Just 2 of them need to give up their devices to itsnotabigtruck and e-yes to soothe thngs over...

BUT the Council looks to be ignorant at worst or naive at best for those on the outside...not an attack but the general impression one gets when you see such debate being done just because 2 ppl don't want to give up their n950s to more deserving people who have and will continue to benefit the community...

Edit: Before someone gets the wrong impression, I absolutely agree that SD69 deserves his award. He's been the unsung hero of the community and nobody at all berudges him his long-deserved award. This award is the least the community could give him.
I kind of agree but without a vote of community members they will just continue to evade the issue and nothing will be done.

Words are indeed getting stronger on here and still i do not see a solution, what they have done IS wrong and it will for sure split this community if nothing is done.

I have to edit this post because of your last comment.

SD69 can not keep his either because if he does then so do the other 3, please remember it is not right and a conflict of interest for the judges to award themselves, please keep this in mind as it can not be half and half here as it will completely make a mess of the judicial system.

I am taking a bow from this thread now as i feel i have said enough so therefore i go read mode only unless called upon.

Last edited by abill_uk; 2012-06-24 at 04:34.

Posts: 415 | Thanked: 732 times | Joined on Jan 2009 @ Finland
Every council member deserves a device. Deal with it.

The Following 8 Users Say Thank You to timoph For This Useful Post:
Closed Thread

Tags
award, community, council, device, outcry