Hi there,

New member getting settled in with an N800 I just grabbed off Craig's List. Bought 2 Polaroid 8GB SDHC cards ($22.99 for the twinpack at Fry's) and formatted 'em without issues - assigned the Internal card to use 128MB for virtual memory as expansion. Installed FBReader for the Wife (she reads voraciously) and then installed the FM radio (1.5.8) for myself (I plan to use the N800 primarily as a media device on the go).

The issue I'm having is with the FM radio and being able to listen with the speakers, not the headphones. When I first got this device a few days ago it worked great, speakers are loud and clear when listening to the FM radio (and also with the headphones) and I was able to switch back and forth without issues.

But I upgraded/flashed to the latest OS2008 revision, 5.2008.43-7 and now it seems the error I get is that dreaded "Audio switching output failed" and I can't seem to resolve it, not with the Nokia earbuds or my normal headphones, a set of Koss KSC-75 earclips.

Not sure if it would be required to flash back to an older revision of OS2008 and I'd prefer not to do that unless absolutely necessary, so I figured posing the question to you far-more-knowledgeable folks might set me on the path to a solution. I've done several searches for muted audio, radio issues, the specific error string ("Audio output switching failed") and other terms but I've so far come up empty.

Any assistance is greatly appreciated, thanks.

I've had a look around for some info on this one, but have come up blank too.
You shouldn't have to downgrade - it definitely should still work.

Changing the settings from headphones to speaker in the fmradio app issues a dbus call force_loudspeaker_on/off, and toggles a value in the gconf.

If you're familiar with the terminal please go in there and type
Code:
fmradio
This should run the app as you're familiar with it, and then when you try to switch between headphones and speakers you should get a little more information.
On my working system I get
Code:
fmradio[9081]: GLIB DEBUG default -      dbus call force_loudspeaker_on sucsess
fmradio[9081]: GLIB DEBUG default -      dbus call force_loudspeaker_off sucsess
And when I check the flags in gconf with:
Code:
gconftool-2 -R /apps/maemo/fmradio
I see that the speaker entry is toggled between 1 and 0.

Have a look and get back to us - someone may be able to help with more information.

Posts: 4,274 | Thanked: 5,358 times | Joined on Sep 2007 @ Looking at y'all and sighing

Tried the manual execution as suggested:

fmradio(3345): GLIB DEBUG default - dbus call force_loudspeaker_on sucsess

Yes that "sucsess" is the actually spelling shown... DOH!!!

But, as is often the case, for whatever reason... now the speakers work and the audio switching is enabled. DOUBLE DOH!!!

Computers, I tell ya. After working with them almost daily since 1975 or so... they still don't work as expected... weird.

I typically keep the FM Radio applet on the desktop and was unable to get the audio to switch to the speakers. I tried running it from the command line as instructed, got the error, closed it out, then loaded the applet back to the desktop and executed it, voila... speakers functional. Bleh...

Thanks for the assistance.