Active Topics

I have configured a minimum font size of 20pt since my early N800 times. But that results that many poorly designed websites have text areas which are much wider than 800 pixels, and therefore you have to scroll horizontally to read them - very annoying!

The former opera browser had a nice feature for those situations: "Fit width to view". Microb also has this menu entry, but it does not work well and does more harm than being useful.

The missing "fit width to view" was one of the most annoying things since my upgrade to OS2008.

Then I found a simple solution:

Most of those problematic websites use tables. One table column for menus, one for text, one for adverts and so on.

Therefore the trick would be to allow only table data of a certain maximum width.

And as Microb is variant of Firefox, you can indeed override what the web designer ordered.

You just have to install your own style sheet with the new overriding rules.

You have to create this file:
Code:
/home/user/.mozilla/microb/chrome/userContent.css
Then I put the following rule into this userContent file:

Code:
@namespace url(http://www.w3.org/1999/xhtml);
td {max-width : 780px ! important ; }
That's all. It basically says: Allow only table data (TD tag) of maximum 780 pixels width. Of course, you can modify and add more rules to your own taste, like always having a pink background and such - some knowledge of CSS is useful.

Since I added this userContent file, I have no longer problems with those broken websites. They just render perfectly well - including ITT

Hope it's helpful for you too.

The Following 10 Users Say Thank You to Rider For This Useful Post:
Posts: 4,783 | Thanked: 1,253 times | Joined on Aug 2007 @ norway
heh, keep these suggestions coming

btw, is anyone collecting these microb tweaks in some central location?

Posts: 868 | Thanked: 474 times | Joined on Oct 2007 @ Capital District, NY, USA
Originally Posted by tso View Post
heh, keep these suggestions coming

btw, is anyone collecting these microb tweaks in some central location?
I have a few tweaks as well, maybe we can start a Wiki page. I just wish there was an easier and more tunable way to apply some of these tweaks.

Posts: 833 | Thanked: 124 times | Joined on Nov 2007 @ Based in the USA
Well I would have pushed the thanks button on that one, but it does not show in my view.

Posts: 868 | Thanked: 474 times | Joined on Oct 2007 @ Capital District, NY, USA
Can I get a "Hell Ya!"

Here is a tweak ( all credit to Rider for the idea ).

Code:
* { max-width: 100% !important }
This is a simplification that should work just like the original. In css terms this forces all elements to be contained within the parent ( except absolute crap placed via JS ). This, as well as the original, will cause some trouble on some poorly designed sites, but they can usually be worked around with some simple @-moz-document css magic.

It's a shame the built in "fit to screen" feature does not just tweak that css.

Posts: 1,950 | Thanked: 1,174 times | Joined on Jan 2008 @ Seattle, USA
* { max-width: 100% !important } is an alternative to Rider's or to be used with Rider's. Does one include the asterisk? thanks

Help Save This Forum
for N8x0/Diablo Users! Register and Vote for Solution #1 on this Brainstorm. (The Solution will let you see New Posts with any threads you choose -- like the N900 and Maemo5/Fremantle threads -- filtered out.) (To understand the Solution better, see these posts #17, #18, and #19.)

It's an either or and yes you need the * and the ! to work.

I'm also doing some testing with a copy of FFb4 customized to be as close to MicroB as possible ( at least for rendering )