Active Topics

Posts: 40 | Thanked: 64 times | Joined on Jan 2012 @ Vancouver
The N9 never gave a reason to complain until now...
Strange issue I've been having with the stock Music Player while playing songs through the headphones. As soon as I start playing music (from the library) it automatically pauses a few seconds later. If I tap on play again, same thing happens.

Now, interestingly, the problem occurs with "FM Radio N9" application too. It turns off the radio few seconds after it starts playing.

I thought it was the headphones, so I tried another pair. Nope, same result. I rebooted a few times to no avail. The issue sort of coincided with me installing the "gPodder" application so I thought uninstalling it would resolve it - but no, still the same.

Then I installed "QuasarMXLite" application and surprisingly, the songs play just fine - no abrupt stopping/pausing.

I should mention that the problem only occurs while using headphones, not with the phone's speakers.

Any advice/suggestions for troubleshooting or resolving this weird issue is welcome.

Thanks guys!

Last edited by Sap; 2014-05-13 at 21:44.

Posts: 646 | Thanked: 1,124 times | Joined on Jul 2010 @ Espoo, Finland
Does that happen using the N9 headphones?

I actually haven't tried the stock headphones (must be lying somewhere in the house, not sure where) but have tested with 2 other pairs.

Shall I try to test with the stock ones if I can find them? Is there something different in them?

Posts: 646 | Thanked: 1,124 times | Joined on Jul 2010 @ Espoo, Finland
The wiring could be different: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Phone_c...#Mobile_phones
and http://forums.wpcentral.com/windows-...ahj-apple.html

Last edited by minimos; 2014-05-14 at 09:31. Reason: Added 2nd link

Moderator | Posts: 3,715 | Thanked: 7,419 times | Joined on Dec 2009 @ Bize Her Yer Trabzon
I had this issue with my N950. The pins INSIDE the headphones may be not so tight as before. So when you jiggle the headphone jack a bit, the phone thinks that you've pulled out the headphones.

I had to open up the device and push the pins back in again with something pointy.

Those are the things that you have to bend inside so it will be tight again:

Last edited by HtheB; 2014-05-14 at 09:49.

Posts: 6,445 | Thanked: 20,981 times | Joined on Sep 2012 @ UK
Originally Posted by HtheB View Post
the phone thinks that you've pulled out the headphones.
But would that not just switch back to the speaker instead of stopping the playback?

FWIW, I have a used N9 with a broken speaker and without the original headphones. I have used it exclusively with 3rd party headphones and they work fine.

Moderator | Posts: 3,715 | Thanked: 7,419 times | Joined on Dec 2009 @ Bize Her Yer Trabzon
Originally Posted by pichlo View Post
But would that not just switch back to the speaker instead of stopping the playback?
No. It stops untill you press play again to avoid shameness, like when you're in the bus.

The Following User Says Thank You to HtheB For This Useful Post:
Just wanted to provide an update:

Firstly, thank you all who provided suggestions and reasoning on the erratic "pausing" behaviour.
So I found the stock N9 headset (took a few hours of scrambling), and plugged it in - Voila! They work; with gpodder as well as FM radio application.

Does this mean that if I wanted to buy a decent pair of earphones (without mic) for music, I have none to slim possibility of them working? Any suggestions?

Tags
player pauses