Poll: Did you order a Jolla tablet?
Poll Options
Did you order a Jolla tablet?

Closed Thread
Posts: 1,986 | Thanked: 7,698 times | Joined on Dec 2010 @ Dayton, Ohio
Originally Posted by MartinK View Post
Thanks to GObject Introspection you can use GObjects from many languages, like Python, Javascript, Haskell, etc. And GObject usage is indeed usually much nicer to use in any other language than C.
Well, I can believe that. On the other hand, my understanding was that GObjects were originally created because the powers behind Gnome wanted to use objects but really, really, really hated any language less efficient than C. So setting up a way to access GObjects in a higher level (and, therefore, theoretically less efficient language) seems awfully odd.

But yeah, I think I'm straying off the original point here; I guess what you're saying is that you don't even need Genie, you can just use introspection + a more standard scripting language...

AFAIK, there is GObject Introspection already in Mer and it is being used for some things on Sailfish OS. It is hardly a GTK exclusive thing these days.
Honestly, I find this kind of surprising. What in Mer is using GObjects? Is this maybe a compatibility feature allowing Gnome applications to be ported to Mer more easily?

Posts: 387 | Thanked: 1,700 times | Joined on Feb 2010 @ Cambridge, MA, USA
Originally Posted by Copernicus View Post
[...]
I'd prefer to concentrate on what can be salvaged from the Jolla wreck, if it does finally go down. A fully open Sailfish UI would be great, but I think unlikely. [...]
Yup, if Jolla goes belly-up, their IP will be sold to some third party, which will do absolutely nothing with it.

Posts: 2,448 | Thanked: 9,523 times | Joined on Aug 2010 @ Wigan, UK
Originally Posted by pichlo View Post
You don't understand. That's not how corporations work. When they get into trouble, the first to get the sack are all those useless, expensive engineers. After all, they do not generate any revenue, do they? It's the sales guys who bring the money, right? We need to keep those. Unless the company continues going down. Then we need to make an executive decision. That means sales and middle management has to go. In that order. Sadly, the company continues sinking. How come? It's a complete mystery. We've discarded all the ballast, what happened? At this point, it is clear that there is no hope so the top executives get a huge golden handshake and call it quits.
Sh1t slides downhill.

My website

GitHub

Posts: 27 | Thanked: 38 times | Joined on Jul 2012 @ Arctic Circle
Originally Posted by tommo View Post
I'd certainly think twice about completing my order at the moment, money for taxes could get swallowed too.

Not that I've got anything to worry about being number 8000 odd
How do you know you are number "8000 odd"..,?

Posts: 27 | Thanked: 38 times | Joined on Jul 2012 @ Arctic Circle
Originally Posted by juiceme View Post
Sure, currently Nokia ships products with at least 8 different OS'es[*] to customers. I have not even counted how many UI's there are of both graphical and non-graphical

[*][/B] Of these OSses majority are linux variants, plus a sprinkling of BSD/homegrown/other...
Really, which products with 8 different OSs is Nokia currently shipping to customers?

Community Council | Posts: 4,920 | Thanked: 12,867 times | Joined on May 2012 @ Southerrn Finland
Originally Posted by jjaone View Post
Really, which products with 8 different OSs is Nokia currently shipping to customers?
A wide range of network elements, to customers worldwide.

As for the number of OS'es; personally I think it is a bit excessive but mainly for historical reasons there is a continuity in the tradition.
Sure some harmonization has been accomplished but no single platform has prevailed; for example many products do use the common Linux Flexi platform but still there are produt families that have their own completely different Linux platform.

Originally Posted by itdoesntmatt View Post
well firefox os is not dead. they have only ended the partnership for distribute it with telefonic operators. the developing and distribution via smartphone will go on

https://twitter.com/jaaksi/status/67...rc=twsrc%5Etfw
So they are focusing on IoT....thats going to end badly. The whole world seems to have been wicked by this IoT trend.

LINKer - transform your N9's home view in a Desktop, give it the freedom it deserves! -> LINKer for Harmattan

QuickBar - Can't find the app you used yesterday in your overcrowded Home Screen? Want access to the QuickLaunch bar even in the home screen? QuickBar for Harmattan

If you like our work, and would like to support via PayPal : users.giulietta@gmail.com

Posts: 102 | Thanked: 228 times | Joined on Jan 2014 @ Northern WI, USA
so here's a question...how long do we wait around for Jolla to find a new investor (IF they can, that is) before we ask for a refund? to customers who pre-ordered, that is. i hate being a pessimist, but things don't look good and they've only got so much money left. if we wait around too long will we lose out on the chance to get our money back?

Originally Posted by Dave999 View Post
Yeah. It probably means that they fired the useless cofounders/Top Managment team.
What if they quitted because they are running out of funds to mantain jolla, and are looking for ways to replenish their pockets?
That would make all your assumptions nigh.

Originally Posted by kapu2 View Post
so here's a question...how long do we wait around for Jolla to find a new investor (IF they can, that is) before we ask for a refund? to customers who pre-ordered, that is. i hate being a pessimist, but things don't look good and they've only got so much money left. if we wait around too long will we lose out on the chance to get our money back?

What refund? There is no refund for tablets, its a kickstarter.

LINKer - transform your N9's home view in a Desktop, give it the freedom it deserves! -> LINKer for Harmattan

QuickBar - Can't find the app you used yesterday in your overcrowded Home Screen? Want access to the QuickLaunch bar even in the home screen? QuickBar for Harmattan

If you like our work, and would like to support via PayPal : users.giulietta@gmail.com

Posts: 7,074 | Thanked: 9,069 times | Joined on Oct 2009 @ Moon! It's not the East or the West side... it's the Dark Side
Originally Posted by mscion View Post
Why is Cop boss of the thread till New Year's Eve?
Originally Posted by Copernicus View Post
Er, yeah, why is Cop the boss of the thread title until New Year's Eve?

"The wreck of the Jolla Tablet: What can be salvaged?"
Since he is wise and what ever Jolla do och communicate. It's all good. Even when they **** up completely He think it's great. Than we have Mer. That's why. He is a real fanMan.

After new year honeymoon is over. Then it's time to throw tomatoes if no tablets appear..

So should we change the title?

I don't trust poeple without a Nokia n900...

Closed Thread

Tags
moral hazard, paypal refund