My n900 should be with me on monday, and i have some important questions to ask so i know if i need to leave it boxed up and cancel out of my contract.

1. What kind of data usage are you guys getting monthly?

I ask because im going with a t-mobile 1GB limit plan and im becoming concearned that im going to regularly go over this amount mainly due to (awesome) flash compatability. Ive got to be always online, im a heavy user, twitter facebook utube IM clients a little skyping and heavy browsing, most of wich t-mobile describe as against their fup. (wifi at work just got cut off too so 90% of the time ill be on 3g)

2. Discontinued? I just bought one!

Im seeing comments about n900 being discontinued in parts of the world, in threads on this forum and considering that im about to enter a 24 month contract in order to get one, I really need to know if this is the case. Am i making a mistake going for the n900 so late in its lifecycle? Should i fear difficult warranty replacements? should i cancel out and wait a few months to see what else appears on the market?

Dont get me wrong, ive done my research, watched 1000 videos read tonnes of posts about it and im aware of its foibles, but the two questions above are new concearns.

Got that sinking feeling is all.

So data usage and device lifecycle . .thoughts please

PS: sorry about the negative 1st post, i love the device and the os, this isnt how i wanted to enter this community but i think this is probably the best place to ask these questions.

Posts: 1,463 | Thanked: 1,916 times | Joined on Feb 2008 @ Edmonton, AB
I use 500 - 850MB per month.
Nokia is a big company, they probably won't screw you over on a warranty replacement or repair.
You can install MeeGo or Android on it too, so I wouldn't worry about maemo being discontinued.

Posts: 1,425 | Thanked: 983 times | Joined on May 2010 @ Hong Kong
1. I use flat rate unlimited data plan, as I share my traffic with my PC(tethering). I would suggest you get one if such plan is available in your region, provided that you need tethering.

2. Production-wise it is not discontinued, but market-wise it might be stop selling in some regions. Nokia is just starting its N900 and N8 sales channels in Asia region.

Nevertheless, this is the least thing you should worry about.

Last edited by 9000; 2010-10-21 at 23:31.

ugh time to retype the long post i made before submit->404

@Creamy - interesting stats would you call yourself a heavy data user? how much time do you spend in wifi range?

- yeah the dual boot options are one of the many things attracting me to the device, but more importantly the OS and its root/s -sudo apt-get install whatever the hell i want! * i love the os and i prefer a slider qwerty, ive been waiting for a REAL linuxphone for too long now, who cares if shes a little...well-fed.
*as long as its not gui based.

- the maemo/meego thing is irrelivant also- any real GNU/linux fan cares not for 'official' support, isnt that the essence of the beast?

@9000 no tethering needed apart from exceptionaly rare circumstances.

im just not sure what im using on my current device, ive got that o2 bolt on for unlimited web so i never find out. Plus im not sure how much of a difference flash is goign to make, although im sure ill be tempted by the odd use of iplayer (uk tv streaming) at lunch etc.

anyone here hitting over a Gig on a regular basis?

Last edited by mrexcess; 2010-10-22 at 00:52.

Posts: 1,751 | Thanked: 844 times | Joined on Feb 2010 @ Sweden
One 1gig will always give you 1gig no matter what phone you have. I have 1 gig flat rate too... and i have only surpassed it once. So i think you will be safe on that end. If you have a choice then pick a lesser quality video. It will save you much.. normal surf will not be a problem.

Also.. it will take a month or so before you will understand the device. The first thing is battery usage. If you don't think about this.. you will be on charger all the time. You could get up to 3 days if used correctly.

The community will long surpass Nokia in the life cycle.. so i would not be bothered about that. The n900 will give you more power than any other device for it's price. Also if Maemo is not good for you.. you could chose other OS's. So you'll be busy 24 month from now guaranteed..

Make your desktop look awesome - use the AwOken Theme with the AwOken Icon Theme.

Add me on twitter @almehdin
Visit the swedish maemo/meego community forums

Posts: 1,425 | Thanked: 983 times | Joined on May 2010 @ Hong Kong
Just for your reference, once I found in my statement I've exceed 54GB usage in one day. It must be due to tethering and also miscalculation on the server-side, but thanks to unlimited plan the balance is still zero, otherwise it'd quite a fight with the bill.

Enjoy the device.

The community will long surpass Nokia in the life cycle.. so i would not be bothered about that. The n900 will give you more power than any other device for it's price. Also if Maemo is not good for you.. you could chose other OS's. So you'll be busy 24 month from now guaranteed..[/QUOTE]

i am not an advanced user by any means but for the nest 19 months of my 2 year contract, i will be using my n900 as a: remote for my tv & stereo. logging on to my laptop via it, playing arcade & console games via game gripper & tv out, browsing & viewing flash sites, transmitting my music via fm, checking emails as easy as sms, taking excellent quality photos & vids of my kids, 30gbp per month &5 for unlimited 3g, tho there may be better deals now, oh & making phone calls on it. did imiss anything? i think i'!! be happy,!

Last edited by philbelfast; 2010-10-22 at 01:19. Reason: edit

Posts: 1,141 | Thanked: 781 times | Joined on Dec 2009 @ Magical Unicorn Land
I use about 50MB a month. I'm usually in range of wifi most places I go.

Originally Posted by AlMehdi View Post
One 1gig will always give you 1gig no matter what phone you have.
Dont quite understand what you mean by that . . . im more concearned with how quickly i will use up that allowance not weather or not i will actually get 1 GB...

anyway i fully intend to carry a spare battery since theyre super-cheap to get hold of, but yeah i had to lean the careful balance of brightness and email checking intervals for my pre, and ive read all the comments on the n900 battery so i know what im getting into.

Thanks for the advice

Originally Posted by philbelfast View Post
30gbp per month &5 for unlimited 3g, tho there may be better deals now, oh & making phone calls on it. did imiss anything? i think i'!! be happy,!
what network? who did you arrange it through, nokia direct?

im wondering if its capped at 1GB soft limit or a genuine unlimited with a more relaxed fup, beacuse if its genuine unlimited then im sending mine back and getting that deal, same price but 'unlimited'

Last edited by mrexcess; 2010-10-22 at 02:01.