Hi all,

After reading some topics, at the end my N900 can connect to WIFI at work, but only internet, not email accounts, not IM accounts (skype, gtalk).

We have a WPA with EAP (PEAP, MSCHAPv2) WLAN. Must add proxy to surf the internet.

Is there sth I can do, or that is, only internet and no IM or email?

Thanks

I would first check that you are allowed to connect your non work device to the network, I'm assuming its not a guest network as its wpa, and maybe certain protocols are blocked?

Either way if you are not IT staff I would check your policies, we do not allow non company devices onto our internal network and come down pretty hard on rule breakers at my work.

I log in with my Windows XP user and password. Just need to use chat and email at N900

Posts: 62 | Thanked: 62 times | Joined on Jul 2010 @ New Hampshire, US
The WiFi where I work only allows connecting to the Internet. Internal stuff can only be accessed via VPN, as if you were coming in from outside.

I think you may have a setup like that. Your IT department should be able to tell you.

Originally Posted by LQW77 View Post
I log in with my Windows XP user and password. Just need to use chat and email at N900
Yes, as do I at the office but, I can tell you for a fact that if your company abide to SOX or ITIL standards you will be breaching policies, check with your IT dept. We don't want you getting in trouble.

Posts: 1,141 | Thanked: 781 times | Joined on Dec 2009 @ Magical Unicorn Land
Originally Posted by LQW77 View Post
Hi all,

After reading some topics, at the end my N900 can connect to WIFI at work, but only internet, not email accounts, not IM accounts (skype, gtalk).

We have a WPA with EAP (PEAP, MSCHAPv2) WLAN. Must add proxy to surf the internet.

Is there sth I can do, or that is, only internet and no IM or email?

Thanks
I assume by "internet" you mean "world wide web". It sounds like they block outgoing access, and web works because it goes over the proxy. I would guess you are out of luck here, unless you set up some http tunnel... but that's almost certainly against your company policies.

Better solution is probably to use GPRS... of course your mobile operator could block things as well (on T-Mobile USA i can't use Skype or Google Voice, for example)

Donīt have signal at the office, so I guess al least I could use Gtalk service on the www to chat instead of N900 IM accounts.

Thanks for the answers.