Posts: 646 | Thanked: 1,124 times | Joined on Jul 2010 @ Espoo, Finland
Originally Posted by Henque19 View Post
Possibly with a *very* thin metallic shield (e.g. mu-metal) to block the magnetic field on the bottom.
And that includes also shielding Jolla GSM+Wifi+BT antennas? Hmm...

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to minimos For This Useful Post:
Posts: 22 | Thanked: 55 times | Joined on Nov 2010 @ Sweden
Originally Posted by minimos View Post
And that includes also shielding Jolla GSM+Wifi+BT antennas? Hmm...
Mu-metal only shields low frequency magnetic fields, plus they should only be as big (maybe slightly bigger) as the magnets that are blocking a bit anyway.
So I'm pretty sure it will not make a difference.

Hey dirk,

could you explain, why this is not working.
I have read all post, but i don't unterstand.
Thanks

Best regards
az211

Originally Posted by Henque19 View Post
Personally I vote for 1mm thinner!

Although, I'm not sure if having bare magnets on the backside will attract random metal objects nearby. Every once in a while you'd have to brush staple pins and paperclips off your pocket

Possibly a stupid idea:
https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/1219940/n2c1zo.jpg

Use some crazy glue to hold the magnet in place. This way the magnet is closer to the other-other half and the wood covers the whole back side (thus distancing magnets from attracting paperclips).

maybe i missed something...
well i certainly did as i didn't follow this thread for weeks but...

my understanding is that the wooden cover comes on the bottom of the actual keyboard part (the side which is mostly visible when the keyboard is not used)
why do the magnets have to be on the bottom if they should attach to the magnets of the Jolla backside (the upside of the keyboard, right?)?!?

Posts: 147 | Thanked: 150 times | Joined on Aug 2010 @ Finland
Hmhmh. I played around with Sketchup, but I suppose I'm fine with the rounded cutouts in the wood for the two magnets. I do really like the third one, as the wood is slightly less overwhelming (exhibit A, B), but it'd obviously be significantly harder to do so not feasible.

Then again, the grey wood ("kelo") is more subtle, both on white and black keyboard pieces.

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Aonsaithya For This Useful Post:
Posts: 1,104 | Thanked: 5,652 times | Joined on Feb 2010 @ Holland
Originally Posted by az2111 View Post
Hey dirk,

could you explain, why this is not working.
I have read all post, but i don't unterstand.
the magnets will be pulled out

Originally Posted by misterc View Post
why do the magnets have to be on the bottom if they should attach to the magnets of the Jolla backside (the upside of the keyboard, right?)?!?
they are not on the bottom, nor on the top. there is material on both sides to keep it in place. it is mounted from the bottom because otherwise
the magnets will be pulled out

The Following 6 Users Say Thank You to dirkvl For This Useful Post:
Originally Posted by Aonsaithya View Post
Hmhmh. I played around with Sketchup, but I suppose I'm fine with the rounded cutouts in the wood for the two magnets. I do really like the third one, as the wood is slightly less overwhelming (exhibit A, B), but it'd obviously be significantly harder to do so not feasible.

http://aonsaithya.kapsi.fi/url/jolla...odsample-1.jpg

Then again, the grey wood ("kelo") is more subtle, both on white and black keyboard pieces.
oh cool, thanks for the quick sketch!

the second one i had in mind, but given the mixed response i will not go through with this

The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to dirkvl For This Useful Post:
Oh why not? After seeing the sketches I like it even more. How about a poll?

The Following User Says Thank You to Morpog For This Useful Post:
I just want to say that I fully trust dirks experience and judgement.
From what I understand from following this thread, he made extensive and thorough R&D to come up with the project as it is.

Originally Posted by Morpog View Post
Oh why not? After seeing the sketches I like it even more. How about a poll?
Imho, making substantial changes at this stage is not such a good idea.

Changing the position of the magnets may appear simple but, e.g., adding new components (like glue, epoxy, ...) and the combinations of the components (cover <-> glue <-> magnet) imho add significant error potential and would require to repeat quite a lot of R&D or even longer additional testing.

Similarly, injection molding may sound cool. But there are many uncertainties as well, e.g., the molding process may vary, the molding tools may not fit on the first try, or the quality of the material may not match the expectations.
Furthermore, the costs for iterations in molding, e.g., when the tools have to be changed are in the magnitude of thousands of euros compared to about tens of euros for 3D-printed parts. Plus the advantage dirk mentioned that the 3D-printed parts can be re-ordered by anyone who has access to the respective files.

Last but not least, the backers at kickstarter had a very good overview to know what they subscribe to. Changing this afterwards could be problematic and may lead to frustration and disagreement.

Last edited by Wonko; 2014-11-12 at 08:41. Reason: Fix typo: tenth -> tens

The Following 18 Users Say Thank You to Wonko For This Useful Post:
Originally Posted by Wonko View Post
I just want to say that I fully trust dirks experience and judgement.
From what I understand from following this thread, he made extensive and thorough R&D to come up with the project as it is.

Imho, making substantial changes at this stage is not such a good idea.

Changing the position of the magnets may appear simple but, e.g., adding new components (like glue, epoxy, ...) and the combinations of the components (cover <-> glue <-> magnet) imho add significant error potential and would require to repeat quite a lot of R&D or even longer additional testing.

Similarly, injection molding may sound cool. But there are many uncertainties as well, e.g., the molding process may vary, the molding tools may not fit on the first try, or the quality of the material may not match the expectations.
Furthermore, the costs for iterations in molding, e.g., when the tools have to be changed are in the magnitude of thousands of euros compared to about tenth of euros for 3D-printed parts. Plus the advantage dirk mentioned that the 3D-printed parts can be re-ordered by anyone who has access to the respective files.

Last but not least, the backers at kickstarter had a very good overview to know what they subscribe to. Changing this afterwards could be problematic and may lead to frustration and disagreement.
Thanks for very eloquently summarizing and clarifying my situation. Will quote you in future

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to dirkvl For This Useful Post:

Tags
keyboard, kickstarter, other half, tohkbd