Posts: 702 | Thanked: 2,059 times | Joined on Feb 2011 @ UK
It's not just annoying for you Americans, it's going to be annoying for anyone from Europe unlucky enough to have to visit the US.

I presume they didn't bother with US frequencies as they didn't want to go through FCC approval.

Adding frequencies doesn't need FCC approval as long as they aren't officially selling it in US.

Posts: 1,873 | Thanked: 4,529 times | Joined on Mar 2010 @ North Potomac MD
Would it be feasible via 3D printing to make an "other half" that had a Mobile HotSpot device incorporated into it. Then you could make calls and have reasonable data speeds. Can parts from HotSpot device be cannibalized so as to not make the "other half" too big? Also, would this fry your brain over time? Seriously, would prolonged exposure to WiFi source at close distances be hazardous to health?

Community Council | Posts: 4,920 | Thanked: 12,867 times | Joined on May 2012 @ Southerrn Finland
Originally Posted by mscion View Post
Would it be feasible via 3D printing to make an "other half" that had a Mobile HotSpot device incorporated into it. Then you could make calls and have reasonable data speeds. Can parts from HotSpot device be cannibalized so as to not make the "other half" too big? Also, would this fry your brain over time? Seriously, would prolonged exposure to WiFi source at close distances be hazardous to health?
Interesting question, really
I'd assume that if the output power of the WLAN device is attenuated enough there would be no health hazards whatsoever. As the parts are physically next to each other the transmission power needed would be small indeed (a quick estimate; less than 1dBm would be more than enough...). That would be easy to build into the hotspot part built in the OH, but how could you make sure that the output of the Jolla device would be low enough?

However, the power output of the 3G part of the device is on the range of 20dBm...27dBm, while WLAN is rated at around 15dbm so I'd suppose there's no immediate hazards even when the WLAN is operating at full output

Posts: 519 | Thanked: 366 times | Joined on Sep 2009 @ North Carolina (Formerly Denmark and Iceland)
I keep getting the T-mobile upsell screen when trying to access internet on my Jolla. How do I get past it?

I understand an update is out that enables 4G and a Canadian has got off 2g to 4g any word on frequencies and if they work on US carriers

The Following User Says Thank You to salyavin For This Useful Post:
Posts: 206 | Thanked: 117 times | Joined on Nov 2013 @ CA, USA
Originally Posted by salyavin View Post
I understand an update is out that enables 4G and a Canadian has got off 2g to 4g any word on frequencies and if they work on US carriers
I thought it had to do with the built in radio rather than the software? Isn't the radio only European frequency compatible?

I need some extra space for cloud storage. Help me get some! (You get some too)

Posts: 1,067 | Thanked: 2,383 times | Joined on Jan 2012 @ Finland
Originally Posted by salyavin View Post
Ths was already answered 6 months ago. But anyways:

LTE: Bands 3 (1800 MHz), 7 (2600 MHz), 20 (800 MHz)

So no luck with US carriers. Better luck in Canada

http://reviewjolla.blogspot.fi/2014/...tries-and.html
Disclaimer: all my posts in this forum are personal trolling and I never post in any official capacity on behalf of any company.

The Following User Says Thank You to rainisto For This Useful Post:
Posts: 1,743 | Thanked: 1,231 times | Joined on Jul 2006 @ Twickenham, UK
Anyone got a GiffGaff (Telefonica O2) 4G SIM on her Jolla phone and has 4G?

I don't seem to be able to use 4G.

Posts: 1,873 | Thanked: 4,529 times | Joined on Mar 2010 @ North Potomac MD
Originally Posted by rainisto View Post
Ths was already answered 6 months ago. But anyways:

LTE: Bands 3 (1800 MHz), 7 (2600 MHz), 20 (800 MHz)

So no luck with US carriers. Better luck in Canada

http://reviewjolla.blogspot.fi/2014/...tries-and.html
According to memo Sprint has 800 MHz but different band id. So probably will not work but you never know. Anybody try it?