after i was prompt to install few updates for the input system, i cannot do fn and cap lock by double pressing the fn and cap buttons. usually a sentence like "FN key is locked" should pop out but right after. but nothing happens even when i double pressed the buttons now... please help

Posts: 4,365 | Thanked: 2,467 times | Joined on Jan 2010 @ Australia Mate

Posts: 44 | Thanked: 24 times | Joined on Oct 2010 @ Brussels, Belgium
I have the same issue. I rebooted already.
It seems that this problem happened since the mscim or mscim-googlepinyin update a few days ago.

if I want to type "5", I have to keep Fn pressed and hit "t". It does not work in a sequential manner.

Posts: 820 | Thanked: 436 times | Joined on May 2010 @ Portsmouth, UK.
You should be able to roll back the version through apt-get. You can then pin this package so it wont be updated.

Originally Posted by James_Littler View Post
You should be able to roll back the version through apt-get. You can then pin this package so it wont be updated.
sorry for being a noob... but how? like restoring n900 to a date before i updated it?

Posts: 8 | Thanked: 1 time | Joined on Oct 2010 @ Kuala Lumpur, Malaysia
I faced this problem last week and it caused me a lot of cold sweat! But thank god, I managed to solved it eventually. I did a in device back up before I upgrade to PR1.3. These are the steps I took in order to get both pinyin input method and fn cap key works.

1) Upgrade to Pr1.3 again via ovi suite. It's sort of like a system restore.
2) Then, I restore the back up that I did before upgrade to PR1.3. (but I left the mscim, pinyin and whatever input method untick)
3) As pinyin is the only chinese input method that I use ( and I know this only), so I just install back mscim and google pinyin. (I've tried the mscim pinyin but it seems like it's not working and cause the cap fn key problem)

After that, everything is going to the right direction. I am able to type chinese in pinyin without causing a issue fn and cap key.
Somehow, I cant call the special symbol out anymore. I read somewhere else and it state that it's the cons of mscim. So, no choice...

Posts: 66 | Thanked: 77 times | Joined on Jul 2010 @ intheclouds
I'm using mscim and mscim-pinyin last pakage, and I have no problem locking Fn or CAPS (2^Shift). Even I'm using three input methods: Mscim, English and Bulgarian-phonetic.
The suggestions form developer of mscim was to purge the package and to reboot and install it again ( if that helps)
Code:
$root
#apt-get purge mscim*
#reboot
and then install
Code:
$root
#apt-get update
#apt-get install mscim mscim-pinyin
#reboot

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to mveplus For This Useful Post:
Originally Posted by mveplus View Post
I'm using mscim and mscim-pinyin last pakage, and I have no problem locking Fn or CAPS (2^Shift). Even I'm using three input methods: Mscim, English and Bulgarian-phonetic.
The suggestions form developer of mscim was to purge the package and to reboot and install it again ( if that helps)
Code:
$root
#apt-get purge mscim*
#reboot
and then install
Code:
$root
#apt-get update
#apt-get install mscim mscim-pinyin
#reboot
thanks! but im kinda noob at knowing how to reboot the package with the codes you gave me. Does it mean formatting the whole system and i will have to back up my files like photos and contacts etc? thanks..greatly appreciated

Originally Posted by wallacelee86 View Post
I faced this problem last week and it caused me a lot of cold sweat! But thank god, I managed to solved it eventually. I did a in device back up before I upgrade to PR1.3. These are the steps I took in order to get both pinyin input method and fn cap key works.

1) Upgrade to Pr1.3 again via ovi suite. It's sort of like a system restore.
2) Then, I restore the back up that I did before upgrade to PR1.3. (but I left the mscim, pinyin and whatever input method untick)
3) As pinyin is the only chinese input method that I use ( and I know this only), so I just install back mscim and google pinyin. (I've tried the mscim pinyin but it seems like it's not working and cause the cap fn key problem)

After that, everything is going to the right direction. I am able to type chinese in pinyin without causing a issue fn and cap key.
Somehow, I cant call the special symbol out anymore. I read somewhere else and it state that it's the cons of mscim. So, no choice...
do you know how can i back up my files like contacts and photos? and when i backed them up, can i just extract them and they'll be in the exact place where there were? Like i hope i dont have to go through re-entering all the informations of my contacts, or merging their skype/msn accounts.. etc

Originally Posted by James_Littler View Post
how?? can you please provide the details? and does it mean reformatting the device, which means i have to backup my contacts/photos? thanks