Notices

Unfortunately, it seems that old developer disappear, and this baby would need a new one. For me, biggest problem (for now) is lack of save'able font size configuration - need to decrease size every freakin' time I open some file for simple editing is a showstopper It would be less pain with font regulation via volume keys working, but it's also broken. As a result, I found myself still using leafpad for on-device editing, even despite lack of syntax highlighting.

Not complaining, not demanding anything - I know that code is open, and everyone could pick up development. Which I hope will happen, at some point, as it's great piece of software, just haunted by some minor issues.

/Estel
-
Camera cover MOD
-
Measure battery's real capacity on-device
-
TrueCrypt 7.1 | ereswap | bnf
-
Hardware's mods research is costly. To support my work, please consider donating. Thank You!

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Estel For This Useful Post:
Posts: 80 | Thanked: 237 times | Joined on Dec 2010 @ Serbia
Actually I am still here, i am doing some work when i can, but sadly i can't put enough time into development because i have to work, and it seems that more i work these days, the less i earn...

I will try and push an update as soon as i can..

TRX.

The Following 6 Users Say Thank You to trx For This Useful Post:
I'm glad that You're still here trx! Sorry for the FUD then - I hope You haven't took it as offense, I was really sure that You've ceased development.

Take Your time, we will be happy with release, when it'll be ready

/Estel
-
Camera cover MOD
-
-
-
Hardware's mods research is costly. To support my work, please consider donating. Thank You!

The Following User Says Thank You to Estel For This Useful Post:
First thanks for having taken the time to code this very nice editor (IMHO nothing beats Vim on Maemo yet, although TxPad soon could), and to provide such nice support!

Originally Posted by trx View Post
Thanks.

I'm afraid that at this point its unlikely, as the text edit component would need quite a bit of modifications to support word wrapping. I will however consider this for the future versions.
Sorry for us users yet again asking for difficult things, but the first thing I looked at in TxPad is if it had support for proportional fonts; unfortunately one can select such fonts but they do not seem to really work: as soon as one moves the cursor or edit the file the text gets all scrambled and cursor movement behaves very wrong.

I guess if you cannot fix that easily at least proportional fonts had better not be selectable for now.

Also, if anyone has noticed any bugs or has new ideas, please let me know.
TRX.
Bugs: see above, else none found, everything works nicely here!

Ideas for new features:
- Javascript syntax coloring (or some highlighting at least) would be neat
- ctags support!

Nits:
- TxPad probably should belong to the "Development" Catorise category (IOW "user/development" as value for the Debian package's 'Section' control-file field) instead of the "Utilities" one ("user/development")
- maybe the "Settings" menu should move up one level out of the "Tools" menu, as there should be room for more than 6 menus there (even with vertical orientation), shouldn't it?
- "Save to HTML": I'd rather have "Save to XML" possibly together with optional XSLT support to customize the HTML output, but that's probably just the programmer in me!

Also several things already described by others in this thread (the ones dearest to me appear first): configurable syntax highlighting, open file selector at ~/MyDocs by default, remember last file selector location, save font settings, move "Font" menu entry from "Edit" menu to "View" menu.

Keep up the good work!

The Following User Says Thank You to guillaumed For This Useful Post:
Yea, I'm also holding my thumbs for trx, as this editor would easily beat Maemo's leafpad, *if* only things mentioned in:
http://talk.maemo.org/showpost.php?p...9&postcount=51
...were fixed. I really, really miss convenient to use editor with syntax highlighting on Maemo, and it's epic pity, that editor which *almost* provide it, fail due to such relatively "easy" bugs.

Those are times, where I really would like to pose developing skills, to just fix it myself for now, I can only say "go go, trx!".

/Estel
-
Camera cover MOD
-
-
-

As coding competition ended, and armattan version of txpad isn't - probably - top priority anymore, would it be too much, if I would ask for taking pity on us, and fixing two (or at least one) small, yet extremely showstopping bugs on Fremantle version?

Again, most important thing is, that txpad doesn't save font settings (type, size) on exit - or, generally, at all. It make it useless for ad-hoc script editing, as civilizing display prefferences every freakin' time You open program is a no-go.

I may be wrong, but the one above should be ultra-quick to write for author, no?

As for 2nd bug - less important, but more "scary" - trying to use any option for volume buttons hijacking, result in - upon volume button press - "acess right violation, press cancel to kill application, or OK to risk data loss" is presented.

I know, that You know those bugs already - in fact, I've myself "bumped" them, triple, during a year time. So, it's another hopeless try. Pretty please, at least saving fonts settings on exit. Or I will try to fix it myself. You don't want to see someone like me - with almost non-existen coding skills - to "update" Your program, and send it to -devel :P Really, You don't want to live through such disaster.

Thanks in advance.

/Estel
-
Camera cover MOD
-
-
-

I will look into it today and fix the bugs, i'm sorry for the delay..

TRX.

The Following 6 Users Say Thank You to trx For This Useful Post:
trx, glad you still here

Some issues:
  • TxPad doesn't support non-english characters. Characters from non-English languages appear as question marks.
  • Search&Replace feature is a bit clumsy. First of all - you can't find it easily (why it is in "View" menu?). Then, after you select it, magnifier icon will open "search&replace" instead of normal "search" function. And the last one - you can't paste anything to input fields of "search" or "replace" (well, you can do it through additional keyboard of Swype, but it's very uncomfortable).
  • Select-markers is very cool feature. But they are hard to use when you try to select very long strings of text. Because, when you try to "pick up" already placed marker it will immediately shift a bit upwards - in most cases to the upper string, causing all selection to get wrong.

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to PIDk For This Useful Post:
Originally Posted by PIDk View Post
trx, glad you still here

Some issues:
  • TxPad doesn't support non-english characters. Characters from non-English languages appear as question marks.
  • Search&Replace feature is a bit clumsy. First of all - you can't find it easily (why it is in "View" menu?). Then, after you select it, magnifier icon will open "search&replace" instead of normal "search" function. And the last one - you can't paste anything to input fields of "search" or "replace" (well, you can do it through additional keyboard of Swype, but it's very uncomfortable).
  • Select-markers is very cool feature. But they are hard to use when you try to select very long strings of text. Because, when you try to "pick up" already placed marker it will immediately shift a bit upwards - in most cases to the upper string, causing all selection to get wrong.
1.What kind of characters are use using?(give me a few so i can test), TxPad supports UTF8..

2. I am aware of this, i will have to think of something for that..

3. Is this for a eg. one long line, or multiple lines? when you are dealing with multiple lines, you can select a few and then scroll down, and just pick up the marker and drag it to where you need it, the selection start will be where it was... I am aware that there are quirks with a long line selections which i will try to resolve.

Thank you very much for your time!

btw, you are talking about TxPad QML (Harmattan), while this is a thread for Fremantle version. I would suggest to you to post bugs and ideas related to TxPad QML there : http://talk.maemo.org/showthread.php?t=83969

TRX.

The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to trx For This Useful Post:
btw, you are talking about TxPad QML (Harmattan), while this is a thread for Fremantle version. I would suggest to you to post bugs and ideas related to TxPad QML there : http://talk.maemo.org/showthread.php?t=83969
Oh, sorry Will post an answer in QML thread...

The Following User Says Thank You to PIDk For This Useful Post:

Tags
txpad