Posts: 463 | Thanked: 103 times | Joined on Jul 2010 @ Mumbai, India
The possibility of Nokia Windows phone going bad is pretty slim...Since Nokia has all the access to the core OS so i don't think they would want to screw up this time round.This is after all their last chance at a comeback...

Originally Posted by funkmunk View Post
The possibility of Nokia Windows phone going bad is pretty slim...Since Nokia has all the access to the core OS so i don't think they would want to screw up this time round.
Thanks, that was priceless.

The Following 7 Users Say Thank You to daperl For This Useful Post:
Banned | Posts: 3,412 | Thanked: 1,043 times | Joined on Feb 2010
is this a popcorn thread then?

Posts: 463 | Thanked: 103 times | Joined on Jul 2010 @ Mumbai, India
Seems like its going to be one soon....

Posts: 52 | Thanked: 18 times | Joined on Mar 2010 @ Cordoba,Argentina
Originally Posted by sondjata View Post
yeah and how long did Maemo require a complete wipe and install before an inline install could be done? Uh huh...
Without installing extras/devel apps, I was able to flash my device OTA always. I only had issues with PR 1.3 after installing PowerKernel.

The Following User Says Thank You to esiravegna For This Useful Post:
Banned | Posts: 974 | Thanked: 622 times | Joined on Oct 2010
Originally Posted by funkmunk View Post
Seems like its going to be one soon....
No, too boring already, no substance, no whit, no nothing, zero, nada. Just a gathering of lowlife.

Posts: 237 | Thanked: 167 times | Joined on Feb 2007 @ Powell, OH
Originally Posted by daperl View Post
Microsoft temporarily disables Windows Phone 7 update for Samsung devices

Can't wait! Proprietary operating systems are so cool!

Microsoft, you're the best!
This is a low blow. Let's not pretend Maemo updates have been in a walk in the park over the years, or have been done that often. Microsoft is scheduled to have 3 updates this year for WP7.

The Following User Says Thank You to theflew For This Useful Post:
source: http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/technology-12554499

Microsoft has withdrawn a software update for its Windows Phone system after it made some handsets unusable.

The problem appears to have affected a small number of mobiles made by Samsung.

Owners reported their phones crashing, and in some cases failing to start up altogether.

Microsoft said it was working to fix the issue and would send out a new update as soon as possible.

The download in question was the first update for Windows Phone since it launched last October.

"In some circumstances it renders the phone completely unusable and can't be restored to a previous version," said Leigh Geary, editor of Coolsmartphone.com.

"It is going to portray Microsoft in a bad light," he added.

Angry users shared their experiences of installing it on user forums.

"I've got an unmodified Samsung Omnia 7, now bricked," wrote one contributor to Microsoft's Answers site.

"My phone is currently unusable, even after hard reset," another user wrote on the same site.
Technical issue

In a statement, Microsoft said: "We have identified a technical issue with the Windows Phone update process that impacts a small number of phones.

"We have temporarily taken down the latest software update for Samsung phones in order to correct the issue and as soon as possible will redistribute the update."

Samsung Omnia 7 owner Alex Roebuck tried to upgrade, but found his phone became unusable.

He said it was unclear if he should take up the issue with his network provider or Microsoft.

"I do not want to be without my handset, so I have decided to wait for a few days to see if a solution can be found, either by Microsoft or the hacker community," he told BBC News.

The update problem comes at a bad time for Microsoft, as it attempts to grow its share of the lucrative smartphone market.

The company recently announced a partnership with Nokia to manufacture handsets running the Windows Phone operating system.

Posts: 5,335 | Thanked: 8,187 times | Joined on Mar 2007 @ Pennsylvania, USA
The thread "Windows Phone update hit by bug" (1 post) has been merged into this thread.

The Following User Says Thank You to sjgadsby For This Useful Post:
Guest | Posts: n/a | Thanked: 0 times | Joined on
Can't say that I'm surprised. Far too many phone upgrades have been bad lately. But you'd think that they'd try to get it right since the whole world is looking at them as the strategic partner for Nokia now... and that's what folks might buy into now?

The stock price makes sense when stuff like this comes out...

Tags
bada rox, give me bada, meego rules, sir abill sir !, windowsce blows