[I have searched for a thread about this but couldn't find one]

This video on youtube raises some concerns with me about the screen and/or OS performance.

I've heard reviews say the screen is great and the OS is very quick but on the evidence of this video something is not quite right.

Has anyone with an N900 experianced anything similar?
He doesn't seem to acknowledge the issue in the vid but you can see him having to press multiple times to get a response.

Please note that I'm not trolling for a reaction. I like Nokia phones and am very hopeful of the N900.

Posts: 883 | Thanked: 980 times | Joined on Jul 2007 @ Bern, Switzerland
My (prototype) N900 sometimes just doesn't react to normal finger presses, but works once I use the nail. However, strangely this seems to be mostly limited to the desktop and the program selector; I guess it is a implementation issue there. I never encountered it inside Apps.
OTOH my prototype can get sluggish when busy with phonecalls. Yesterday, I was even unable to finish a phonecall, because the GUI hung (first time in a month). Had to remove the battery...

However, I'm really abusing the device in terms of devel-software, data and teststuff installed, so really trying to get to the limits. I have 2500 songs on it, a few hours of video and over 1000 pictures.

This device is really a powermachine: You can e.g. use your browser to get a torrent, then get the torrent DivX and watch them with the inbuilt Media-Player...

"the idea of truly having a computer in your pocket just moved a big step closer."

Thanks for the info.

I love the capabilities of this device but I've never been comfortable with touch screens. I'm more into the E71 form factor but can't say I like the look of Symbian.

I guess I'll have to give it a try before I buy.

People are somewhat used to capacitive touchscreens now which I think is the problem here - people press lightly and then realise they need to push a bit to have it register.

Posts: 631 | Thanked: 1,123 times | Joined on Sep 2005 @ Helsinki
Yes, it looks like he is touching the screen "wrong".

Posts: 3,319 | Thanked: 5,610 times | Joined on Aug 2008 @ Finland
Depends on your definition of 'not right'. Jumping between half a dozen web pages and various open apps, media player playing back stuff in the background and youtube to top it off DOES adversely affect response time, but I'm not sure what people expect here, youtube (flash, to be more precise) can do that alone on a full-blown netbook.

IMO What you see on the video as unresponsiveness is not a capacitive/resistive press harder thing, but rather the N900 swapping in and out the various pages/apps (if it was just presses, the task-switch animation would be smooth).

Last edited by attila77; 2009-11-12 at 13:27.

The Following User Says Thank You to attila77 For This Useful Post:
Posts: 1,255 | Thanked: 393 times | Joined on Oct 2009 @ US
Here is a good example why the 3430 and its more robust DSP is a better solution than snapdragon:

http://www.schleef.org/blog/2009/11/...dsp-and-omap3/

Posts: 268 | Thanked: 304 times | Joined on Oct 2009 @ Orlando, USA
Originally Posted by rpcutts View Post
[I have searched for a thread about this but couldn't find one]

This video on youtube raises some concerns with me about the screen and/or OS performance.

I've heard reviews say the screen is great and the OS is very quick but on the evidence of this video something is not quite right.

Has anyone with an N900 experianced anything similar?
He doesn't seem to acknowledge the issue in the vid but you can see him having to press multiple times to get a response.

Please note that I'm not trolling for a reaction. I like Nokia phones and am very hopeful of the N900.
Hi rpcutts, I created that video based on a request in another thread. I think you are the one who commented about the unresponsiveness. I just replied to that comment.

The reason for the appearance of unresponsive was because I couldn't press the tabs correctly when holding the camera on the other. This is the first time I have ever created a video about a device and I am surprised with the number of views it has generated.

Anyway, I will put up another video with a better setup that will allow me to shoot and operate more easily.

Last edited by archebyte; 2009-11-12 at 14:03.

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to archebyte For This Useful Post:
Posts: 268 | Thanked: 304 times | Joined on Oct 2009 @ Orlando, USA
Originally Posted by ragnar View Post
Yes, it looks like he is touching the screen "wrong".
yes. I am working on my ambidextrity

Posts: 108 | Thanked: 44 times | Joined on Nov 2009 @ Como, Italy
I think there's a thin line between a normal user's multi-tasking and plain out forcing the device to slow down.

Personally, I would use 4-5 browser tabs for facebook, gmail, maybe a flash webpage like youtube etc. On top of that, I might listen some mp3s, have an open pdf document, and also have a couple of ongoing IMs.

However, I would not listen to music while watching a streaming youtube video, nor would I launch a game just to see what happens to the device.

Desktop-like performance means multi-tasking reasonably considering that the processor is single core. It does not mean running every single application there is at the same time and expecting no slow down.

Tags
be_patient, touchscreen