Here's a pretty thoughtful and extensive review of the N900 on The Nokia Blog:

http://thenokiablog.com/2009/11/13/nokia-n900-review/

The reviewer's been using the phone for a month, has the latest firmware, and is reporting on his experience. Mostly he sees the N900 as the best web browsing and phone combination out there. Not as good for some other functions, like music and apps.

As a small note, he surprisingly says that the speakers are not as good as those on the Droid. One person claimed, in another thread here, that the N900's thickness is in part due to the speakers and how you can't have good speaker quality in a super thin device. This guy is definitely a long time Nokia user and fan, so it seems like he's not just looking for an excuse to praise the Droid. So I'm a little surprised that the N900 didn't measure up to the Droid in this respect.

Anyway, there's a lot in the review though, both praise and criticism. It's worth the read.

Posts: 963 | Thanked: 626 times | Joined on Sep 2009 @ Connecticut, USA
"The Nokia N900 was just announced that it started shipping on Tuesday."

That first sentence is terribly constructed. Not the greatest of writers. But, I'll judge the review by its contents. I just had to get that out of the way.

http://temporaryland.wordpress.com/

Posts: 883 | Thanked: 980 times | Joined on Jul 2007 @ Bern, Switzerland
My issue with that review is the conclusion "If applications or music is important to you, then look elsewhere." Come on??? Music??? Just because "When it comes to mobile devices, I usually install Pandora or a Last.FM application to stream music". This is a very unusual pattern for the rest of the world: music streaming is either very expensive when on the road or shunned upon on office environments, so can only be done at home.
The N900 offers a fantastic media player, TuneWiki integration, internet radio, FM radio, FM transmitter, great audio output for headphones, bluetooth AD2P and DNLA support. Mine even has 48 GB of storage.

And don't even start me on the applications...

"the idea of truly having a computer in your pocket just moved a big step closer."

Last edited by twaelti; 2009-11-17 at 16:12.

The Following User Says Thank You to twaelti For This Useful Post:
Originally Posted by twaelti View Post
My issue with that review is the conclusion "If applications or music is important to you, then look elsewhere." Come on??? Music??? Just because "When it comes to mobile devices, I usually install Pandora or a Last.FM application to stream music". This is a very unusual pattern for the rest of the world: music streaming is either very expensive when on the road or shunned upon on office environments, so can only be done at home.
The N900 offers a fantastic media player, TuneWiki integration, internet radio, FM radio, FM transmitter, great audio output for headphones, bluetooth AD2P and DNLA support. Mine even has 48 GB of storage.

And don't even start me on the applications...
That's a fair point. The N900 doesn't seem like it's shabby in the music department. But he was comparing it to the few other phones at this level, like the iPhone, N97, Droid. And I think he was addressing general consumers. If you're willing to put up with iTunes (which I personally hate and avoid at all costs) then the N900 may be good, but the iPhone may to a lot of people seem a lot better, except for the lesser amount of storage space.

Dunno where the Droid's speakers are but I know part of the reason the n900 speakers sound kinda off is it's outputting from the sides instead of at you like the n800 does.

"Meamo!" sounds like what Zorro would say to catherine zeta jones... after she slaps him for looking at her dirtily...

Originally Posted by Laughing Man View Post
Dunno where the Droid's speakers are but I know part of the reason the n900 speakers sound kinda off is it's outputting from the sides instead of at you like the n800 does.
Although don't the N97, N95, N86, etc., also have a similar speaker configuration as the N900? And they're supposed to have pretty good sound. So it's odd for the N900 to regress in this respect. One would assume the N900 may well have the exacty same speakers as the N97.

It looks like the Droid speaker is behind the gold, cross-hatched space on the back of the Droid:

http://www.engadget.com/photos/motor...ds-on/2405948/

Engadget actually says the Droid sound quality, including the speaker, is second to none. I have found that this is one area in which Motorola, despite all it's shortcomings, seems to sometimes excel and devote attention, where most other manufacturers, including Nokia, accept "good enough" solutions (I'm talking about audio call quality, more than external speakers). It is a bit embarrasing for the Droid with a mono speaker to sound better than the N900's stereo speakers.

Yeah that is pretty embarassing if that's the case. o.O

"Meamo!" sounds like what Zorro would say to catherine zeta jones... after she slaps him for looking at her dirtily...

Posts: 296 | Thanked: 126 times | Joined on Nov 2009 @ New York City
maybe he should've tried going to pandora.com or last.fm?

Posts: 74 | Thanked: 63 times | Joined on Nov 2009 @ Wichita, KS
Originally Posted by cb474 View Post
Although don't the N97, N95, N86, etc., also have a similar speaker configuration as the N900? And they're supposed to have pretty good sound. So it's odd for the N900 to regress in this respect. One would assume the N900 may well have the exacty same speakers as the N97.

It looks like the Droid speaker is behind the gold, cross-hatched space on the back of the Droid:

http://www.engadget.com/photos/motor...ds-on/2405948/

Engadget actually says the Droid sound quality, including the speaker, is second to none. I have found that this is one area in which Motorola, despite all it's shortcomings, seems to sometimes excel and devote attention, where most other manufacturers, including Nokia, accept "good enough" solutions (I'm talking about audio call quality, more than external speakers). It is a bit embarrasing for the Droid with a mono speaker to sound better than the N900's stereo speakers.
Yep, I would say it's behind the grill.
Notice the mesh right behind the index finger
http://www.phonewreck.com/wp-content...11/Droid39.jpg

Originally Posted by hwong_pz View Post
Yep, I would say it's behind the grill.
Notice the mesh right behind the index finger
http://www.phonewreck.com/wp-content...11/Droid39.jpg
Sorry, when I said "it looks like" that was just a colloquialism, as in "so it turns out." The speaker is behind the gold colored grill. Engadget specified this in their review.