Originally Posted by specc View Post

I think Symbian fanboys = Nokia fanboys
Maemo/Meego fanboys = Nokia fanboys
WP fanboys = Nokia fanboys
but
Nokia fanboys != Symbian fanboys
Nokia fanboys != Maemo/meego fanboys
Nokia fanboys != WP fanboys.

WP and Lumia will not fail. But they will not become the new Android either. They will however create a viable ecosystem where people in general are more satisfied than they are with Android or iOS for various reasons.
no
symbian fanboys does not mean nokia fanboys, i dont like nokia as a company but i "love" symbian and consider it a best smartphone OS no matter if its on a nokia, SE or a samsung
and maemo fanboys=gnu/linux fanboys and not nokia fanboys

With their current market share Nokia's and MS' ad depts should concentrate on hipster dollar: You have heard of this OS, but have you seen anyone actually using it?
That should get the ball rolling

Originally Posted by GrimyHR View Post
no
symbian fanboys does not mean nokia fanboys, i dont like nokia as a company but i "love" symbian and consider it a best smartphone OS no matter if its on a nokia, SE or a samsung
and maemo fanboys=gnu/linux fanboys and not nokia fanboys
So you love Symbian, but you hate the phone it's installed in ? You don't make much sense Grimy.

Posts: 470 | Thanked: 399 times | Joined on Jul 2011 @ Croatia
So you love Symbian, but you hate the phone it's installed in ? You don't make much sense Grimy.
i dont hate the phone, i "love" symbian powered devices, that does NOT mean that i have to like nokia as a company and their decisions

[...]

And this. WP has 1% share on statcounter in Europe. Not much, but a twice as much as 4 months ago.[...]
WM had between 2 and 3 % market share in European countries, except Germany where it was about double that.
WP has barely been able to keep WM users in the m$ camp in absolute numbers...
not going to bother how much they lost excactly, but if they are down to 1% (maybe only with WP, WM still selling too?) they stagnate, at best...

Originally Posted by misterc View Post
WM had between 2 and 3 % market share in European countries, except Germany where it was about double that.
WP has barely been able to keep WM users in the m$ camp in absolute numbers...
not going to bother how much they lost excactly, but if they are down to 1% (maybe only with WP, WM still selling too?) they stagnate, at best...
Nokia has sold 2 mill Lumias. This is in Europe and Lumia 800 mostly I presume. This is not bad considering the small number of countries it has been sold in, and the short time it has been available.

Overall it does not look all that good for Nokia I must admit. But it's not all black, Lumia and WP IS gaining momentum whether you like it or not.

Add: WM had 2-3 % market share at a time when smartphones had 5-10 % market share. Now WP has 1% market share when smartphones have 60% market share. You cannot compare market share like that. WM was "big" in a completely different world, smartphone vise.

Last edited by specc; 2012-04-11 at 19:20.

Nokia has sold 2 mill Lumias. This is in Europe and Lumia 800 mostly I presume. This is not bad considering the small number of countries it has been sold in, and the short time it has been available.
The number is for 1Q 2012, so it has been available from some time, at least in europe. The Lumia 710 was available in the US. China was missing though.

I think whether it gains momentum or not depends on lumia 900 sales in the US.

I guess they will have at least 5% market share til the end of the year.
If nokia survives it

Won't be easy though since apollo is late and the galaxy3 will make the 900 look like childs play.

One thing to remember though:
US - 300 mil
China+India - ~3 bil

It's really cute US sales are all this thread is about (and EU with similarly niche numbers), Elop's Asha and next billion plan seems like a great long-term investment (not many CEOs do that as it doesn't increase their immediate return peronally, kudos). Get the brand and quality recognized with feature phones, wait for them to start the smartphone boom as experienced in the west. Numbers can get upside down in a year if same happens there.

One thing to remember though:
US - 300 mil
China+India - ~3 bil

It's really cute US sales are all this thread is about (and EU with similarly niche numbers), Elop's Asha and next billion plan seems like a great long-term investment (not many CEOs do that as it doesn't increase their immediate return peronally, kudos). Get the brand and quality recognized with feature phones, wait for them to start the smartphone boom as experienced in the west. Numbers can get upside down in a year if same happens there.
Problem is, nokia is losing lots of market share in those countries, especially china. China is the largest smartphone market by now, but nokia has essentially "abandoned" the market by killing symbian. In the US and in many european countries it didn't really matter that they killed off symbian without a proper upgrade path (speak Qt and meego). In China and in other places nokia was still dominant and symbian good enough to compete with android. Do you really think nokia can recapture the market from bottom up? I think thats the biggest fail of of the wp strategy, they essentially lost china.

Just check their last intro to Asha (mwc was it, or...), cheap phones with most expected features for cheap(for now) markets. With their quality HW they will build their brand much better than iOS for the communist party members as a sign of power/influence. We're not talking about the BMW riding class of chinese, but mass users. This is where the fight is now.Some 300 mil opf adults using phones, not 300 mil including children and elderly

Tags
blame others, deluded fanboys, kidsbeingkids, lumiadork, ms will die, salesdroids, the elop flop, wp blows