Notices

Joikuspot is an awesome software for Symbian.

Now that Maemo is going to be used on a cell phone as well, is there any equivalent of Joikuspot for Maemo?

(
For the uninitiated, Joikuspot allows for a Symbian phone to "share" its data plan over wifi, effectively converting the cell phone into a router.
The 2 biggest advantages over BT tethering, multiple devices can connect to the cellphone and devices without BT can share the cell phone's data plan
Till date, it made no sense to have such a software run in Maemo since the Maemo devices themselves had to be connected to the internet through some other means, but now that maemo is used on a phone .... )

Posts: 5,335 | Thanked: 8,187 times | Joined on Mar 2007 @ Pennsylvania, USA
Originally Posted by harisund View Post
Now that Maemo is going to be used on a cell phone as well, is there any equivalent of Joikuspot for Maemo?
No, not yet. However, this question is being posted about once a day by Symbian folks as they arrive here, so interest has been proved.

If the WiFi driver in the N900 supports the proper mode, Linux has everything else needed already. Someone will simply need to create a friendly, graphical front end, which should be quick work.

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to sjgadsby For This Useful Post:
Posts: 3,397 | Thanked: 1,212 times | Joined on Jul 2008 @ Netherlands
Does not exist (yet). In theory you could put WiFi in AP mode and use WPASupplicant (I'm not sure the WiFi driver on N900 can do both this). Then you need to do some routing. Very easy too. However there is no frontend or howto for this yet.

JoikuSpot, like many other software existing for Windows Mobile, Symbian, and iPhoneOS uses WEP or plain text. This is very insecure to use for anything serious, and might open doors to additional 3rd party usage of device. You'd also need at least a VPN over the connection.

Posts: 5,478 | Thanked: 5,222 times | Joined on Jan 2006 @ St. Petersburg, FL
Originally Posted by allnameswereout View Post
Does not exist (yet). In theory you could put WiFi in AP mode and use WPASupplicant (I'm not sure the WiFi driver on N900 can do both this). Then you need to do some routing. Very easy too. However there is no frontend or howto for this yet.
I believe the drivers should be capable of AP mode (if not stock, somebody certainly could modify them). This means that powersaving will be quite a bit better than the AdHoc implementation Symbian devices use.

The Following User Says Thank You to GeneralAntilles For This Useful Post:
Posts: 96 | Thanked: 23 times | Joined on Sep 2009 @ Sweden
Guys,
I love when people say YES that may be quite possible, instead of NO Impossible.
I have not traded my trusty old N95 since nothing so far have been able to satisfy my needs. I was quite shocked when I heard that iPhone could not do even the basic Multitasking..
I use my N95 as mini PC for sure, Wlan router ( as I only have mobile broadband) bluetooth stereo Headset ( BH-503, second best buy ever)
Skype ( via Fring) push email, and more all at the same time.
the great Video Camera have been fantastic filming my kids whenever.
with a 16gb card all is possible.
the ONLY thing that have NOT made me buy the N900 first of all is the weight 181grams is not light, and I really do not need a slide out keyboard, On creeen one would satisfy my needs.
thank you again, guys like you make me think of buying bigger pants and still go for a N900