One thing the Nokia 770 and N800 Internet Tablets have going for them is that they are the lowest-priced smallest-full-screened general-purpose portable devices around.

Oh, you know what I mean — they run a full OS with an 800-pixel-wide screen, they’re large-pocket-sized and they cost half the price of a comparably capable UMPC.

So what does that mean for us internet tablet users?
Read the full article.

Posts: 3,401 | Thanked: 1,255 times | Joined on Nov 2005 @ London, UK
My guess is www.smart2go.com (Nokia have missed their release date btw!) won't be coming to the 700/N800 to avoid cannibalising sales of Navicore on Internet Tablet.

Posts: 772 | Thanked: 183 times | Joined on Jul 2005 @ Montclair, NJ (NYC suburbs)
I had to look this up:

What exactly is smart2go?
smart2go is a freeware for your mobile phone for downloading maps and street plans, and also for saving your favourite spots to then share them with your friends. But that’s not all: Explore the world with our optional, premium-brand travel guides, packed with valuable information and important tips. And our optional navigation upgrade brings you professional navigation with GPS.

Do I have to have a GPS receiver?
No, smart2go can do a lot even without a GPS receiver: high-resolution maps and street plans for countries all round the world, full of interesting locations such as restaurants, clubs and cafés; route planning; city guides (optional) and lots more besides.

But to harness the full potential of smart2go (for instance, turn-by-turn navigation with voice guidance), you will need a GPS receiver. Some mobile devices already have a receiver integrated in them, but it is also easy to connect an external GPS receiver to your mobile phone using Bluetooth.
Sounds to me like the pay functions of smart2go are what you get with the navigation kit, except you get them permanently and not for a limited time period.

Indeed - the basic smart2go package doesn't come with navigation or POI (points of interest) but these features can be added for a relatively low fee (eg. added to your phone bill) and these fees will no doubt be a lot less than the Navicore package. At some level of usage it will make more financial sense to go with the Navicore package, but for low end users smart2go should do the job just fine.

I hadn't realised the navigation and POI features were time limited - where did you read this? That would suck.

Nokia picking up bad press for smart2go already. Why on earth did Nokia give such a firm date, only to miss it?

The Nokia Marketing Department should be taken outside and shot.

Nokia are rushing to bring products to market leading to this sort of fiasco. The N800 should have been delayed at least another month for testing and better firmware but I guess Marketing thought a CES launch would be a good idea. This resulted in luke-warm to hostile N800 reviews which have harmed the product quite seriously (same happened to the unfinished 770).

Quite depressing, really - I'm sure the Internet Tablet hardware and software guys are seriously p!ssed at the marketing suits too. Why bother when these idiots just fck up the entire platform with a premature launch?

Gaaarhhhh... more coffee for Milhouse.

>[.. delayed a month]
The N800 was so extremely useful for me the first week I had it (I got it just in time for a week's festival where I had to constantly check the net and buy tickets and so on) that I'm very happy with the fact that Nokia didn't delay the release!

Last edited by TA-t3; 2007-02-13 at 10:14.

Originally Posted by Milhouse View Post
My guess is www.smart2go.com (Nokia have missed their release date btw!) won't be coming to the 700/N800 to avoid cannibalising sales of Navicore on Internet Tablet.
It's up and running now, and you were right: No 770/N800.