Posts: 169 | Thanked: 38 times | Joined on Jul 2007 @ Brooklyn, NY
Originally Posted by Texrat View Post
I got some feedback on tablet marketing today, and although it wasn't *official*, I think it's a good indicator nonetheless of the corporate thinking.

I can't go into details, but suffice to say there was some logic to the motivation behind keeping the tablet hype low key (for now). But I get the feeling from the community that the prevailing fear is that lack of overt, large-scale marketing for the device equates to half-@$$ corporate support for the product line. That it's doomed to an nGage fate.

I have to confess I had the same fear for a while, but I've been given good reason to believe Nokia is in the tablet business for the long haul. What the company is hoping for is patience from the early adopters as certain elements are retooled.

So my optimism is rekindled a bit. BUT-- that doesn't mean there isn't room for immediate improvement. The good news is that lessons are being learned. That said, I don't think the tablets will be hyped in the exact same way as iPods and iPhones, and to a certain degree they shouldn't IMO. Nokia just needs to better define the target customer(s), get the message out, and follow through on promises quicker.
Thanks for sharing this.

Agreed, the N800 doesn't need to be successful at the levels of the iPods to still be a successful product for Nokia. It just needs to be successful in the volumes they want and with the people they want, and as far as *we* know they're surpassed their original expectations. Just as before, the problem is the lack of transparency in letting us know these things.

(I think for us Americans, in our hurry hurry trial-and-error culture, not beating the reigning champion product usually means the competitor is about to disappear for good -- since the ITs suffer constant comparisons with the iPods, there's a lot of anxiety as a result. I just don't know if those comparisons are avoidable these days, regardless of the marketing used.)

I think Nokia's had one hell of a hit with their paying-to-be-a-beta-tester N770/N800 internet tablet program.

Reading through all these posts of the naysayers makes me feel like Nokia's a company in dire straits...

Last time I looked, nokia makes tons of products and they have quite a HUGE customer base. A lot of Nokia's customers aren't fanatical dimwits that drool when they see something white with a touchpad.

Nokia can afford to test out new markets. They have the financial background to release a product and bleed a little. I am not sure that Nokia lost anything releasing the N770 or N800, but if they did, they can absorb the hit.
Look at the Xbox 360 and the PS3, Microsoft and Sony are bleeding through the nose losing money with each system they sell (from what I heard through the internet, I have no data to back this claim up) but they have deep enough pocket to absorb it. I don't think either company will tank anytime soon.

Posts: 11,700 | Thanked: 10,045 times | Joined on Jun 2006 @ North Texas, USA
Originally Posted by namtastic View Post
Thanks for sharing this.

Agreed, the N800 doesn't need to be successful at the levels of the iPods to still be a successful product for Nokia. It just needs to be successful in the volumes they want and with the people they want, and as far as *we* know they're surpassed their original expectations. Just as before, the problem is the lack of transparency in letting us know these things.

(I think for us Americans, in our hurry hurry trial-and-error culture, not beating the reigning champion product usually means the competitor is about to disappear for good -- since the ITs suffer constant comparisons with the iPods, there's a lot of anxiety as a result. I just don't know if those comparisons are avoidable these days, regardless of the marketing used.)
Holy ****, I think I'm suffering a common sense overload.

<3

Posts: 564 | Thanked: 8 times | Joined on Nov 2005 @ Fayetteville, GA
Well, I think Nokia has a pretty good strategy with the IT line. However, Nokia should really focus on improving the software (and hardware capabilities afterwards) it has control of more. I'm sure they've saved a good bit of money by having the open platform and no big marketing push (only online ads? wtf?!).

I really really really hope to see more from the 3rd Internet Tablet push. Don't get me wrong, I think the N800 evolution has been great, and if I knew back then what I know now, I would have purchased an N800 in a heartbeat. I'm most definitely going to get what comes next out of this bizarro science experiment gone right.

Between now and then though, I need something a little "different". Too late for the N800, too early for the NXXX.
3pm - So good, it's illegal