Notices

Posts: 111 | Thanked: 74 times | Joined on Feb 2010 @ Germany
Before the firmware update on PR1.2 has integrated RSS automatically set up an Internet connection, depending on which interval you chose.
It took no existing connection, but has really opened it self to connect.

Since the update on PR1.2 does not it.
I get the message while it tries to automatically build a connection, but nothing happens.
If I manually update, however, even if no Internet connection is established, it establishes a connection and update the RSS feed.

Does anyone know the problem and know what you must tuen.

I would like my N900 every 2 hours automatically goes online and so all my apps can pull updates.

Posts: 138 | Thanked: 103 times | Joined on Jan 2010 @ Southern Germany
Originally Posted by christexaport View Post
Just make something that has all of the feeds in a list with each site's icon or a default symbol if they don't make one available, and a symbol that appears lit when there are unread feeds available on the far right in a column, possibly superimposed with a small number for the number of unread posts in the feed. When you select a feed, it should go to a screen just like those made by the Ovi App Wizard, with image support and proper formatting. There should also be a mechanism to browse to the full story page in a browser.

It should have kinetic scrolling, and if it automatically sorted and put unread feeds at the top, it'd be a homerun. A homescreen widget of some sort couldn't help either.
FeedingIt actually does all that stuff so I wonder why this is not under consideration actually.

How do I increase the number of stored feeds in the reader? At the moment it only stores 20.

The Rss feed reader doesnt support installed fonts ?

I have a font in my ~/.fonts folder and in the browser the font is taken and correctly rendered but inmy RSS feed reader it doesnt reflect ..How do we set font for theRSS feeder..Or is it that it doesnt support other fonts?

Originally Posted by ofels View Post
FeedingIt actually does all that stuff so I wonder why this is not under consideration actually.
One aspect where the stock reader wins over the others is the view. And this is probably something that makes it a lose for other users.

I like the "newspaper" view - at least for some feeds. I want to be able to scroll through the entire feed without having to click each article.

Last time I checked none of the others can do this?

The Following User Says Thank You to paulkoan For This Useful Post:
Posts: 324 | Thanked: 371 times | Joined on Dec 2009 @ Vancouver, BC
Originally Posted by paulkoan View Post
One aspect where the stock reader wins over the others is the view. And this is probably something that makes it a lose for other users.

I like the "newspaper" view - at least for some feeds. I want to be able to scroll through the entire feed without having to click each article.

Last time I checked none of the others can do this?
It's funny that the "newspaper" view, as you call it, with all articles on a single page, is exactly what pushed me to write my own RSS reader .
In FeedingIt, you go from one article to the next with a side swipe.

Posts: 152 | Thanked: 58 times | Joined on Oct 2010 @ void
I've tried several rss readers but find none of them are cutting it. Below is my personal view of the available rss readers for N900. Please correct me if I am off the mark or biased.

Here are my most wanted features. I don't think these features are too demanding because they are apparently very basic (cool) functions.

1) filters for finding info in need quickly
2) tags/categories as (more permanent) topics for deep reading
3) auto-update can be turned off to save battery
4) full articles can be downloaded for offline reading and archived and won't get erased after updating the feeds

Other aspects like methods of scrolling and display layout are of minor importance to me personally.

Desktop widget? I don't think it is useful because I have to launch the reader anyway to read the news. Also it consumes more battery especially when doing frequent auto-update. And the widget view is either too cramped and too small for my eyes or needs a lot of scrolling if fonts are bigger.

Feedingit
Pros:
- nice display (though basic),
- own viewing windows,
- auto-rotation,
- horizontal scrolling
Cons:
- no tags,
- no filters,
- auto-update can't be turned off,
- no full articles but complete source webpages,
- feeds and articles cannot be exported or synced,
- desktop widget blows away my desktop setup when updating manually,
- no volume key scrolling (very useful in portrait mode),
- quits itself when loading the source webpage in its own browsing window (is it just me?),
- all operations need opening menu first,
- a bit slower than other readers
A question: how can I manage and delete the "archived articles"?

Feed Circuit
Pros:
- sleek and intuitive interface,
- can import & export feeds in .opml format,
- all news from the same feed in one single page (very handy),
- can save feed page in browser as normal html,
- fast (but need some time to load browser window)
Cons:
- no tags,
- no filters,
- no own viewing windows (web browser instead),
- no full articles but but complete source webpages,
- no syncing,
- icons missing in the main window (under PR1.3),
- feeds update all at the same time but not individually
(the "refresh selected" doesn't work because tapping the feed does not just select it but will automatically launch and switch to the brower window),
- need to switch between the browser and the program main window

grr
Pros:
- very user-friendly,
- can use star & share,
- perfectly portable,
- easy syncing,
- volume keys as pgup/pgdn,
- fast!
Cons:
- tags?
- filters?
- blank menu icons in article view (what are they?),
- no comment functieon as in Google reader,
- cannot download full articles despite the "Fetch more" function,
- landscape view only,
- no feed editing.

Penguin reader
for Penguin TV only?

Last edited by 009N; 2010-11-18 at 08:04. Reason: correcting typos

The Following User Says Thank You to 009N For This Useful Post:
Posts: 115 | Thanked: 116 times | Joined on Sep 2009 @ Helsinki
I've been happy with the N900 default RSS reader, until today that is.

I can't open the application anymore, it immediatly gets stuck and hogs a lot of CPU. I need to kill it in xterm to get rid of it Widget doesn't update, if I click on the update the app gets stuck in a similar fashion. Reboot does not seem to solve the problem. Any suggestions?

Posts: 115 | Thanked: 116 times | Joined on Sep 2009 @ Helsinki
Does anyone know how I can delete the feeds that I've setup in the stock RSS reader now that I can't even get the application to open?

Your best bet is to delete the config folder:

/home/user/.osso_rss_feeds_reader

In this folder is feeds.opml which you can keep as it only contains the list of feeds.

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to paulkoan For This Useful Post:

Tags
maemo 5, rss reader