Posts: 880 | Thanked: 264 times | Joined on Feb 2007 @ Cambridge, UK
Ok, apart from the future tablet, what's left unexplored in the current tablets? I'm not trolling, I'm trying to stir the imagination.

We've had projects to replace the entire OS with mer and ubuntu; maemo itself has stalled somewhat waiting for the new tablet.

The hardware is well understood and pretty much everything works very well, including third party peripherals where power permits over usb.

There seems to be sufficient variation in applications to allow me to do everything I could do on my desktop, perhaps a bit slowly, but usefully in the tablet's size.

So what's left to be done that's new and exciting?

Hardware wise, I think that Craves1 is doing his bit to to spice up the tablet with accelerometers and memory add-ons. Is anyone else doing any hardware hackery with the tablet?

The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to speculatrix For This Useful Post:
For one thing, more optimisation of the video decoders, perhaps even using the DSP for parts of the decoding. Not sure if that ticks the exciting box for everyone mind you, but it works for me

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to lardman For This Useful Post:
Posts: 1,213 | Thanked: 356 times | Joined on Jan 2008 @ California and Virginia
lasers, lots and lots of lasers...

Or, you know, get sound drivers for mer and Android. And make Tear a "100%" mobile-webkit (aka iPhone/Android) browser. Oh, and maybe a really good PIM suite with seamless online sync. Bluetooth and ADA2P. Video decoders optimized for ARM would be nice. Pseudo multitouch gestures (like liqbase with some polish).

www.ezschool.com - The best online educational experience.

The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to Thesandlord For This Useful Post:
Posts: 2,142 | Thanked: 2,054 times | Joined on Dec 2006 @ Sicily
Video output - better than the one already experimented

Bluetooth and ADA2P
Done on the current tablets, as well as it can be done on the current tablets (what with audio mixing being done on the DSP), and it will be supported out of the box afair on the new tablets, so probably best to strike this one off the list.

Or, you know, get sound drivers for mer and Android.
+1 ARM kernel-side audio codec drivers for the hw in the n810 and n800 (the n800 ones exist, if anyone fancies porting that across for the n810 that would be good).

Speaking of which, I understand from Solca that the cpufreq stuff for OMAP2 devices in the latest kernels (latest main releases, not what's running on the tablets that is) is deprecated/removed (due to lack of support); keeping the OMAP2 alive in the current kernels would be another worthy goal.

The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to lardman For This Useful Post:
Posts: 145 | Thanked: 18 times | Joined on Aug 2008 @ Vancouver, BC
I really miss an easy way to sync (or at least push to tablet) contacts from my Mac and/or my Symbian phone.

Posts: 3,790 | Thanked: 5,718 times | Joined on Mar 2006 @ Vienna, Austria
I think what's left to do is less exploring, more down to earth work. Boring work:

Bulk-port Debian packages to OS2008 and make them available via extras. It's nice to have 300-400 applications on downloads.maemo.org, but there should be thousands. I'm not talking about openoffice.org and gimp, but 150 small editors, 300 image manipulation programs, 100 chat clients etc. etc.

If you want to turn this boring work into "something to explore": try to find if you can find a way to get semi-automated ports. anyone into artificial intelligence?

Posts: 4,783 | Thanked: 1,253 times | Joined on Aug 2007 @ norway
Originally Posted by stangri View Post
I really miss an easy way to sync (or at least push to tablet) contacts from my Mac and/or my Symbian phone.
export all as vcard, copy vcard to tablet, import into gpe contacts or built in address book?

Originally Posted by stangri View Post
yup me too

Posts: 213 | Thanked: 27 times | Joined on Feb 2007 @ Barbados
GPE only imports the contact at the top I believe. Been trying this for several days and then gave up.

Excel and Word viewer or editor. in Diablo.
Right now I have to export excel files to csv in order to view them in gnumeric and save word documents as rtf.

No I do not have a constant internet connect so talk to me about Google docs, or sync in the cloud.

The Following User Says Thank You to dbec10 For This Useful Post: