Notices

Posts: 4 | Thanked: 14 times | Joined on Apr 2009 @ Chernihiv, Ukraine
I've created a greasemonkey script that allows to use current version of GMail for iPhone on a tablet. It avoids shrinking width to 320px and proportionally scales all elements. Also it scales iPhone version of Google Reader.

Screenshot:

I already switched from standard GMail interface to the iPhone version, it works very nicely.

How to install:
  1. If you don't have Greasemonkey installed - get it from here
  2. Install "Better Google for iPhone v2" script from userscripts.org
  3. Open iPhone version of GMail on your browser. No need to change useragent, you can just use special links: for GMail - http://mail.google.com/mail/x/gdlakb-/gp/, for Google Reader - http://www.google.com/reader/i/
  4. Enjoy

UPDATE
For those of you, who doesn't want font scaling in GMail and Reader I created a basic version of the script, which only avoids shrinking of GMail window and removes a Google Reader logo.
Install basic version of Better Google for iPhone v2.

Last edited by apopelo; 2009-05-01 at 15:49. Reason: update

The Following 10 Users Say Thank You to apopelo For This Useful Post:
Thanks. This gives me an idea though.. Greasemonkey for Tear?

"Meamo!" sounds like what Zorro would say to catherine zeta jones... after she slaps him for looking at her dirtily...

Thank you so much!

I find the full gmail website really is too much for the tablet, and the ordinary mobile version is too basic. It does annoy me just how good iPhone users get it.

The only thing i would say is I actually prefer a smaller font size, especially for google reader. I ended up removing it from the greasemonkey included pages list because unlike gmail the iphone version of reader actually did work fine.

Posts: 398 | Thanked: 301 times | Joined on Sep 2007 @ Texas
Try the html version of gmail, it's a nice compromise.

https://mail.google.com/mail/?ui=html&zy=a

Frank

Posts: 4,708 | Thanked: 4,649 times | Joined on Oct 2007 @ Bulgaria
Um, the iPhone version of GMail already looks like that in Tear, assuming you add this CSS rule to userstyles.css:
http://www.internettablettalk.com/fo...219#post282219

Oh, and change the user-agent.

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Bundyo For This Useful Post:
Posts: 1,950 | Thanked: 1,174 times | Joined on Jan 2008 @ Seattle, USA
Originally Posted by Bundyo View Post
Um, the iPhone version of GMail already looks like that in Tear, assuming you add this CSS rule to userstyles.css:
http://www.internettablettalk.com/fo...219#post282219

Oh, and change the user-agent.
OTOH, it's great not to have to change the user-agent, as GMail is, for me, the only thing for which I want the iPhone format.

Is Greasemonkey not tear-compatible since tear isn't Firefox-based?

Once we can do site-specific format changes, like you've said you intend to implement, then would we also be able to skip the user_agent change to get GMail to display iPhonically?

Posts: 4,708 | Thanked: 4,649 times | Joined on Oct 2007 @ Bulgaria
Not exactly - most userscripts are not XUL based, so they can be executed in any browser that supports them. The interface to add them and execute them automatically is missing in Tear, though I'm considering something like it. Think of them like bookmarklets without bookmarks

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Bundyo For This Useful Post:
Posts: 275 | Thanked: 46 times | Joined on Feb 2008 @ Raleigh, NC
Oh I like this very much. Perhaps more the potential.

Originally Posted by j d View Post
Thank you so much!

I find the full gmail website really is too much for the tablet, and the ordinary mobile version is too basic. It does annoy me just how good iPhone users get it.

The only thing i would say is I actually prefer a smaller font size, especially for google reader. I ended up removing it from the greasemonkey included pages list because unlike gmail the iphone version of reader actually did work fine.
really great job thank you;
"avoid shrinking to 320px" makes this the best gmail option imo..
but i also prefer the default fonts for reader and gmail,
if someone explain to me how to modify the code for using the default font and button sizes i'd really appreciate it..

Posts: 4 | Thanked: 14 times | Joined on Apr 2009 @ Chernihiv, Ukraine
For those of you, who doesn't want font scaling in GMail and Reader I created a basic version of the script, which only avoids shrinking of GMail window and removes a Google Reader logo.

Install basic version of Better Google for iPhone v2.

The Following User Says Thank You to apopelo For This Useful Post: