Hello everyone. I have a few "problems" with my providers data connection ( Internet )
I have Foreca and Mail for exchange setup, working without any problem.
The problem is that is i use my provider data connection, it does connect, Foreca is updating weather etc. but after a while, the connection is somehow closed, and wont reactivate again if needed ( After 4 hours when Foreca should update weather )

I Assume that it enters in some sort of idle state, that it turns off.
If anyone else encounter this problem also, are there any fixes ?

Best regards,
Sebastian Bota

Posts: 412 | Thanked: 480 times | Joined on Feb 2011 @ Bronx, NY
i assume it does connect when you start micro b? go into settings ..internet ...connections ..chose the connection you want to keep alive ...edit ..next until you see advanced then there willl be 3 tabs under one you will see power savings

you will use a lot more of your battery if you turn it off

Originally Posted by Mike Fila View Post
i assume it does connect when you start micro b? go into settings ..internet ...connections ..chose the connection you want to keep alive ...edit ..next until you see advanced then there willl be 3 tabs under one you will see power savings

you will use a lot more of your battery if you turn it off
For a wireless netowrk i have the settings you say. But for my operator ( Orange ) i hanve only Proxy and IP Addresse, in the advanced tab, Nothign about powersave or something like that...

Posts: 1,808 | Thanked: 4,272 times | Joined on Feb 2011 @ Germany
@JK9d3r,

The problem may be that if for some time the N900 doesn't use the connection actively, the provider might be closing it.

I had a similar issue (Germany, blau.de provider using E-Plus network), where sometimes I would stop receiving mail. I had the polling interval set at 1h. I changed it to 30min and I've never had the problem again.

A possible solution might be to have a script pinging something every 10min or so, but I haven't bother to write one (since it now WORKSFORME

Originally Posted by reinob View Post
@JK9d3r,

The problem may be that if for some time the N900 doesn't use the connection actively, the provider might be closing it.

I had a similar issue (Germany, blau.de provider using E-Plus network), where sometimes I would stop receiving mail. I had the polling interval set at 1h. I changed it to 30min and I've never had the problem again.

A possible solution might be to have a script pinging something every 10min or so, but I haven't bother to write one (since it now WORKSFORME
Thank you, a script might be a good solution after all , i just have to check somehow, what is the interval when the provider closes the connection
so i can ping something just before the connection is closed

Thank you !

Posts: 42 | Thanked: 15 times | Joined on Jul 2009 @ United Kingdom
My solution to this is to set my n900 to automatically connect to any network after a time interval and use auto disconnect to disconnect after a period of time. For my setup it connects for 5mins each half hour which saves battery too.

Posts: 1,103 | Thanked: 368 times | Joined on Oct 2010 @ india, indore
also you can install an application called "alarmed" and set it to automatically connect to internet when ever you want. (user defined time like alarm does)

get your smooth live wallpaper today
My YouTube videos

Posts: 1,808 | Thanked: 4,272 times | Joined on Feb 2011 @ Germany
Originally Posted by JK0d3r View Post
Thank you, a script might be a good solution after all , i just have to check somehow, what is the interval when the provider closes the connection
so i can ping something just before the connection is closed

Thank you !
Not sure if this would work (I think each application has to support this), but
the keepalive kernel parameter is, by default, set to 7200s (2 hours).

So doing (as root)
# cat 600 > /proc/sys/net/ipv4/tcp_keepalive_time

should do the keepalive thing every 10min.

I will try setting my IMAP polling interval to something longer (1 hour) with keepalive at 1200 (20min), and see what happens.

Originally Posted by reinob View Post
Not sure if this would work (I think each application has to support this), but
the keepalive kernel parameter is, by default, set to 7200s (2 hours).

So doing (as root)
# cat 600 > /proc/sys/net/ipv4/tcp_keepalive_time

should do the keepalive thing every 10min.

I will try setting my IMAP polling interval to something longer (1 hour) with keepalive at 1200 (20min), and see what happens.
Cool solution, i will also try this.

Posts: 102 | Thanked: 9 times | Joined on Feb 2010 @ Wellingborough, UK
Did the keep alive work? I could do with it for my 3G carrier.