Posts: 55 | Thanked: 2 times | Joined on Dec 2009 @ Berkeley, CA
Every time and in every screen where you touch and hold a selection for a secondary menu, it appears right under your finger or stylus and automatically selects the first option because you don’t get a chance to choose!

For example, you touch and hold a name in the main phone screen showing recent calls to call, delete or go to contact card. The last one is the first option and it pops up right under the point you are touching so by the time you lift your finger or stylus, it has gone to contact card already.

The menus should either pop up on the opposite side of the screen where you can see and select, or appear at least a few millimeters over to one side with no overlap with the original touch area. Are you kidding me? This is absolutely absurd and represents a sample of all the fundamental problems Nokia has in competing with android and whatever make that other apple thing what it is.

Posts: 1,141 | Thanked: 781 times | Joined on Dec 2009 @ Magical Unicorn Land
I think the UI was designed by a left-handed person...

The Following User Says Thank You to stlpaul For This Useful Post:
True
for now it's: hold to pop up the selection, release to choose, and most time I end up choosing the wrong items
it should be: hold to pop up, another tap to choose

the former happened to the old pidgin (2.6.x IIRC), but the recent version has solved this by using the latter, and is really helpful. so if this change could be implemented globally as well, that'd be nice

Originally Posted by figaro View Post
True
for now it's: hold to pop up the selection, release to choose, and most time I end up choosing the wrong items
it should be: hold to pop up, another tap to choose
It is a simple hold to bring a sub-menu and then lift your damn finger to see the menu and choose whatever you want. If somehow your n900 is acting ******ed and wants to select right away, why don't you slide your finger to the desired selection. don't lift the finger until you choose your selection. it can't be that hard ~

The Following User Says Thank You to niqbal For This Useful Post:
Originally Posted by niqbal View Post
It is a simple hold to bring a sub-menu and then lift your damn finger to see the menu and choose whatever you want. If somehow your n900 is acting ******ed and wants to select right away, why don't you slide your finger to the desired selection. don't lift the finger until you choose your selection. it can't be that hard ~
unfortunately, IT IS

1. problem is, the second I lift my finger, whichever items get shown directly where I point my finger will be selected automatically

2. I'd be lucky if all pop up menu have lots of items so I can scroll to opposite sides to see the item labels, but unfortunately like in media player, you get only 1 choice, which is "Delete", and the whole label is covered by my finger and there's no way I can read it (I get the chance to read it while I'm using stylus, and I'm not a typical stylus user)

Last edited by figaro; 2011-03-18 at 06:47.

The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to figaro For This Useful Post:
Posts: 1,522 | Thanked: 392 times | Joined on Jul 2010 @ São Paulo, Brazil
When using the "right click" i often move the finger to elsewhere on the screen while not lifting it up when i need to see the contents of the context menu.

Posts: 248 | Thanked: 240 times | Joined on Mar 2010 @ Wiltshire, UK
I'd never really given this much thought; I press & hold to select sub-menu and then slide my finger around the screen to reveal the whole submenu and (without lifting finger) slide onto selected option and lift to select.

It all feels natural to me now - probably due to over a year's use, but I have to agree that it'd be more logical for press & hold to raise a static submenu with options that can be selected with a tap as opposed to a lift of the finger.

Maybe this could be incorporated into the CSSU project?

Posts: 3,790 | Thanked: 5,718 times | Joined on Mar 2006 @ Vienna, Austria
I'm not 100% sure, but I believe it worked as expected in previous versions of Maemo (770/N8x0). You could press and hold, then lift your finger (while the menu remained visible), then select.

If this is true. it means that whoever designed this behaviour for Maemo 5 did it on purpose. It still annoys me even though I had more than a year to get used to it. It's just too stupid. I would like to ... you know.... do things to the person responsible for this.

The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to benny1967 For This Useful Post:
Posts: 1,808 | Thanked: 4,272 times | Joined on Feb 2011 @ Germany
[QUOTE=benny1967;970106]I'm not 100% sure, but I believe it worked as expected in previous versions of Maemo (770/N8x0). You could press and hold, then lift your finger (while the menu remained visible), then select.

As far as I can tell, this is exactly how it works on the N900. It's a bit hit and miss, but once I realized that you can actually lift your finger and then comfortably select the option you want, it works mostly OK

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to reinob For This Useful Post:
And it's different for microB than for Opera.