Posts: 3,464 | Thanked: 5,107 times | Joined on Feb 2010 @ Gothenburg in Sweden
This kind of shitty crapOS is probadly the future of nokia if they fail with next Meego(Harmattan) OS

Posts: 387 | Thanked: 1,700 times | Joined on Feb 2010 @ Cambridge, MA, USA
Originally Posted by wmarone View Post
Depends. I generally find operating systems interesting but what MS has planned for WP7 kills my interest, specifically the push to have iProduct-like lock down.
Were you actually expecting Microsoft not to copy what Apple did two years ago?

Guest | Posts: n/a | Thanked: 0 times | Joined on
I like the OS, totally dislike the stock browser. I'm waiting on Firefox 4 Beta to be announced for it - just like it has been announced on Android & Maemo 5.

To be honest, I dislike the Android stock browser too, use Dolphin HD instead.

MicroB is still "tops" at the moment in my book. But WP7 seems to get more right than wrong - that's something I thought I'd never say.

Originally Posted by gerbick View Post
I like the OS, totally dislike the stock browser. I'm waiting on Firefox 4 Beta to be announced for it - just like it has been announced on Android & Maemo 5.
I wouldn't hold my breath. They've said they won't until a NDK is released.

Originally Posted by longcat View Post
microsoft lacks leadership just as nokia do, so i don't think they will win anything. they both fail big time for now.
You got it all wrong. MeeGo is Intel, Nokia is just on for the ride. Nokia is selling more phones than ever.

Symbian^3 and soon Symbian^4 is Nokias main OS. Why is that so hard to get into your heads? There is nothing in the real world that suggests that Symbian will not be the largest OS out there for the next 5 years. Maemo/Nokia-MeeGo is a small fish, targeted for mobile computers.

I watched the first half of the video.

Looks like the only thing they have done better than Maemo5 is make transitions a bit faster, and add multi-touch for zooming.
Not to mention, 6 tabs at once max? MicroB can do that, and more! Flash & HTML5? Doable.

Also, no multi-tasking? Gees.
I mean, if, on my N900, I can run frigging -runescape-(which maxes the CPU, uses a lot of ram, etc), then go and browse the internet while its running(and still have decent performance), a newer device ought to be able to do more than -that-!
However, it seems Micro$oft is following in the footsteps of Apple - How are they gonna get any market share out of that? "shiny and 'just works'" is already taken by apple; Do MS -really- think they can do better?

Silly.

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to RobbieThe1st For This Useful Post:
Originally Posted by bsving View Post
Maemo/Nokia-MeeGo is a small fish, targeted for mobile computers.
It may be a small fish, but it will be playing in a very, very high profile market.

It may be a small fish, but it will be playing in a very, very high profile market.
I don't think so. High profile is the E-series, like the E7 soon to come. There isn't any higher profile than that, unless we are talking gold-plated and stuff.

MeeGo is for mobile computers; For Nokia this means tablets (probably) and high end "geek devices" with more emphasis on computer and raw power than functional (and usable) phone capabilities.

When I see an E-series device from Nokia running MeeGo, I will change my mind But not untill then.

Originally Posted by bsving View Post
I don't think so. High profile is the E-series, like the E7 soon to come. There isn't any higher profile than that, unless we are talking gold-plated and stuff.
I don't see anyone putting the E7 up in the same tier as the Droid 2, Droid X, iPhone 4, and the Galaxy S devices. They will put whatever MeeGo devices Nokia releases up against them, however.

At best, E series devices (unless the specs are beefed up quite a bit) will end up paired against lower end Android devices. Easy way to tell: what CPU it uses. If it's ARM11 or lesser, it's low profile. If it's OMAP3 or better, high profile until the OMAP4 comes out.

The Following User Says Thank You to wmarone For This Useful Post:
Easy way to tell: what CPU it uses. If it's ARM11 or lesser, it's low profile. If it's OMAP3 or better, high profile until the OMAP4 comes out.
This is 100% geek-talk, what device has most HP. Didn't you read my post?