Originally Posted by Andre Klapper View Post
Many (Diablo)/ some (Fremantle) modules have their sources (already) public. >80% of the "default, official software" on the N810 and its successor is/will be free.
Sure, but I was under the impression that there's a lot to the N900's UI and default applications that we haven't seen yet. Due to that, I don't see a reason to start playing with the existing SDK:s now (I don't own an old Maemo device). I'm sure the Fremantle beta SDK would be extremely useful, but only if I wanted to develop a full application. Am I wrong about this?

Qgil said "Imagine all these users that will get a maemo 5 device for their first time". This will not only be true for the available packages, but for the default install as well. I think many developers would be extremely motivated to submit patches within a short window of opportunity were you to give them an official chance to have their code on the shipping device. Even if you end up having to reject all the patches, the publicity would probably be great

The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to livefreeordie For This Useful Post:
Originally Posted by qgil View Post
Or simply said: get the developers of your preferred applications to put their nose in Maemo 5 if they haven't done it yet. They won't regret.
I think it's safe to say that anyone who has apps in extras is aware of Maemo 5 by now.

Rather than having random users contacting the developers requesting Fremantle versions (which will get old really fast) it would be much better to have a coordinated approach.

How about we list our favourite packages and project contact details in this thread and in a couple of days someone (Nokia, council or debmaster perhaps) could go around contacting the authors?

Originally Posted by zerojay View Post
There's also going to be a TON of bugs to verify against Fremantle. Can't wait to snack down on that sandwich.
We've been doing that for a while now on the bits that are available in the pre-alpha .. beta SDKs, come and join the fun :-)

Originally Posted by livefreeordie View Post
1) When you finally reveal the device and its UI, immediately release the code for the newest versions of the applications. Then let us submit patches, accept the best ones fast, and recompile the standard image before you start shipping devices.
Seconded (obviously this only applies to the open ones). This has already worked well for modest & hildon application manager, and osso-xterm is now starting to see some patches too.

The Following User Says Thank You to lma For This Useful Post:
Moderator | Posts: 7,109 | Thanked: 8,820 times | Joined on Oct 2007 @ Vancouver, BC, Canada
I'm really really hoping that the Fremantle browser will be fast and full-featured enough to avoid needing dedicated "clients" for all of the web services and applications like the iPhone and other devices. I would much rather have the "real" Facebook page than a Facebook app. Facebook chat would be nice to integrate into the system along with all of the other chat protocols (it is so great the way everyone duplicates functionality, eh?), but it sounds like that's already being done...

Posts: 253 | Thanked: 104 times | Joined on Aug 2008 @ Midwest, USA
There was a discussion a while back about all of this. I'll use the example of Maemo mapper which was brought up a page back or so. But, Nokia has basically been so discreet with what will be included in Maemo 5 and the RX-51/RX-71 that some developers have stated that they don't want to waste their time coding for an alternative to a pre-installed software that may be already more up to date. So, for instance...why would the developer of Maemo Mapper spend their time working on porting that application if there is already going to be a equal or possibly more featureful mapping software included that they could instead contribute to?

The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to neatojones For This Useful Post:
Posts: 2,355 | Thanked: 5,249 times | Joined on Jan 2009 @ Barcelona
Originally Posted by neatojones View Post
So, for instance...why would the developer of Maemo Mapper spend their time working on porting that application if there is already going to be a equal or possibly more featureful mapping software included that they could instead contribute to?
Bad example; Nokia is not going to do an app like full Maemo Mapper. If they do an online map viewer, it'll be probably hardcoded to a single map repository, and it'll have no track recording capabilities (so it'll suck for me and will probably be useless for the maemo mapper developers & main users).

The Following User Says Thank You to javispedro For This Useful Post:
Posts: 253 | Thanked: 104 times | Joined on Aug 2008 @ Midwest, USA
Originally Posted by javispedro View Post
Bad example; Nokia is not going to do an app like full Maemo Mapper. If they do an online map viewer, it'll be probably hardcoded to a single map repository, and it'll have no track recording capabilities (so it'll suck for me and will probably be useless for the maemo mapper developers & main users).
I was more or less thinking of Wayfinder, only free... Either way, my point was that there was a thread a while back with people complaining of this problem. The main point here is that more people will probably jump on board once everything has been revealed and it may be hard to convince them to contribute until then.

Posts: 1,950 | Thanked: 1,174 times | Joined on Jan 2008 @ Seattle, USA
Maybe neatojones example wasn't the best (I don't know, actually) but his basic idea sounds right to me. For example, we have a number of not-so-good personal information manager apps (calendars, contacts, notes, etc., integrated together or not); why would a developer put effort into porting one of these until he knows that Nokia is not providing a pre-installed PIM? (And, hopefully, Nokia is.)

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to GeraldKo For This Useful Post:
Posts: 1,671 | Thanked: 11,478 times | Joined on Jun 2008 @ Warsaw, Poland
Originally Posted by neatojones View Post
There was a discussion a while back about all of this. I'll use the example of Maemo mapper which was brought up a page back or so. But, Nokia has basically been so discreet with what will be included in Maemo 5 and the RX-51/RX-71 that some developers have stated that they don't want to waste their time coding for an alternative to a pre-installed software that may be already more up to date
A bit off-topic, but as far as I can tell in Maemo Mapper, it's "just" a matter of coding it towards liblocation-dev instead of libgpsmgr/bt-dev (back when I experimented with MM on Mer and the new hildon).
As you go on to other communities, remember to build them around politeness, respect, trust and humility. Be wary of poisonous people and deal with them before they end up killing your community.. Seen it happen to too many IRC channels, forums, open source projects.

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Stskeeps For This Useful Post: