I would love to have a Jolla phone, i have been a Maemo, and now Sailfish fan (everything Linux) for quite a while.

I had a N810, then the N900 and finally an N9, and i have been looking for a way to get a Jolla Phone but havent found one.

If someone would offer the service of getting the phone and then reshipping to the United States i would be more than happy to pay via Paypal.

Please contact me via this threat or email carlos.m.holguin@gmail.com

Thanks and i would really appreciate the help.

God Bless.

The Following User Says Thank You to cholguin For This Useful Post:
You're aware it's 2G only in the US? Try the For Sale section here.

Yes i am aware, and thanks for the heads up. I have seen a couple of them for sell, but the post are a little bit old. The reason i opened this thread is because i saw in a thread someone that was willing to buy the phone a reship it, and i though it was a good gesture and a nice idea.

Thanks again.

Community Council | Posts: 4,920 | Thanked: 12,867 times | Joined on May 2012 @ Southerrn Finland
Originally Posted by cholguin View Post
Yes i am aware, and thanks for the heads up. I have seen a couple of them for sell, but the post are a little bit old. The reason i opened this thread is because i saw in a thread someone that was willing to buy the phone a reship it, and i though it was a good gesture and a nice idea.

Thanks again.
I offered to help a TMO friend to get JOlla from finland, to buy it here (a new one) and to ship it to HK.
However, the shipping costs are pretty high. I contacted 6 different courier companies and asked for a quote; the offers were in the order of 130eur ... 160eur.

The Following User Says Thank You to juiceme For This Useful Post:
Posts: 252 | Thanked: 597 times | Joined on Oct 2011 @ Denmark
You can try to ask this guy if his Jolla is still for sale: http://www.reddit.com/r/Jolla/commen...north_america/

The Following User Says Thank You to LouisDK For This Useful Post:
Thanks a lot guys. Yes the shipping is quite high i did not know it was like that.

I will try contacting the guy in reddit, thanks.

Like others, I would advise you to buy one that's already in the USA if you possibly can; it saves not only shipping costs and risks, but also any potential import duties or customs issues. If you want someone to help you internationally, you would be well advised to offer (and prospective sellers would be well advised to demand) something besides PayPal. I am not suggesting that the OP here has any dishonest intentions, but, PayPal does not provide the seller / intermediary with any guarantee of retaining the payment. PayPal needs buyer confidence more than it needs small sellers, and there have been many frauds whereby someone pays, the seller ships, the buyer claims non-delivery/fraud/fake and gets his money back whilst the seller gets shafted. Again, I do not suggest that this is the OP's intention, but this is such a common vehicle for fraud that few people, myself included, would touch it with a bargepole (and if you are legitimate, you will probably have to prove it by paying in cleared funds). Not trying to scare anybody off helping - if you're paying in cleared funds, and accepting the associated risks, then hopefully someone will. To that end (and without expressly offering anything myself), I'll price up the UK option for you.

We can buy them on Amazon for £277.74 delivered (http://www.amazon.co.uk/Jolla-Sim-Fr...keywords=jolla) and Amazon quotes the boxed product weight as 454g. That price is for slow, free delivery - add £9 to expedite the shipping to your intermediary which gets it to them for 1pm next day. Add ~100g for their outer packaging (guesstimate) and you're looking at a ~600g package to post abroad. Shipping a 600g package to the USA with (apparently) next working day delivery (wonder how that works in some parts...), tracking and insurance for up to £500 would cost £62.80. The cheapest option, not tracked and taking a week or two, is £42.70 - but for everyone's peace of mind it's advisable to insist on the former. So, to get someone in the UK to do this expediently, you'd need them to receive £349.53 in pounds sterling, that being £277.74 to order the phone, £8.99 to receive it next working day with time to ship it out again, and £62.80 to ship it to the US.

With the dollar fairly low against the pound, that works out to US$599.35, before any charges levied for bank transfer and currency conversion. Not sure what your bank would charge, but Western Union (normally slightly more expensive than a bank) would charge a further $40, so you'd pay $639.89 to send £350 in cleared funds to a willing intermediary.

Whether that's worthwhile is not my decision to make, but $640 for a phone sounds sincerely f***ing expensive to me. If you are seriously interested at those sort of prices - and willing to pay in cleared funds - then maybe someone will help, but you should be able to get a better deal from someone on the European mainland. Britain is generally a rip-off by comparison.

I hope this assists, even if it does not encourage you to rush to buy a phone from here...

The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to magick777 For This Useful Post:
I appreciate your concern for the other sellers, and the advise on using anything other than Paypal, unfortunately this thing of fraud can go both ways and just sending the money could be as bad for me.

I just got very excited to see people willing to help common supporters of Linux on devices, and thought that was great.

Well thanks anyway and anyone that would be willing to help me I would really appreciate, but if not I would understand.

The Following User Says Thank You to cholguin For This Useful Post:
Absolutely true - paying cleared funds means you assume all the risk, and it's not something I'm advising with that sort of money. You might well find somebody perfectly trustworthy who does precisely what they say, and that still doesn't remove all risk of something going wrong.

I do hope you find one locally, not trying to rain on your parade, and if you do decide to sort it out online then there are people with enough reputation, pedigree and testimony that you can probably trust them (I don't claim to be one of those, around here.) I still wouldn't take the risk, not when you'll be able to get one for half that price locally with a little patience.

Final question worth asking is: do you actually want the Jolla hardware itself e.g. for collectible reasons, or is it the Sailfish OS that you are more interested in?

I ask because it had been, for some months, my intention to buy a Jolla to replace my N900 (this is when they were £400). Months of delays and broken promises about 4G support led me to postpone the purchase, several months on the trot. Then Jolla made it pretty explicit that Sailfish is their mission and the hardware is just a means to that end. They also started to put much more effort into making Sailfish available for other hardware, and less into delivering the specification they had sold with the Jolla phone.

All of this (see also the related links on Jolla Launcher) suggests to me that within a short space of time, you'll be able to run Sailfish on exponentially better hardware than the Jolla. If it's the hardware you've fallen for, well then all this is of no relevance, but thought I'd mention it in case it saves you a few hundred bucks.

Having been following Jolla since well before launch (and, likewise, wanting Sailfish), I now question whether I'd want it on hardware of that generation. Crude example, a SIM-free Jolla was £400 when I was proposing to buy one, but it didn't support LTE (my reason for upgrading) until last month. By last month, £400 would also buy you a SIM-free Sony Xperia Z2 with full HD screen, quad core 2.3GHz, and 3GB of RAM. Doesn't run Sailfish yet, but I expect it will before the year is out.

Anyway, I'll leave it there as I've no certainty that it applies to your situation, and if a Jolla is what you want, I hope one finds its way to you cheaply. If what you want is Sailfish, then by now I don't think you'll need to import a Jolla to get that. Best of luck with whichever approach you take.

To sum up, i loved Maemo, i loved Meego and now i love Sailfish.

Sailfish is what a real efficient, eyecandy true OS for cellphone should be, it has engineering it is though for the human, simple intuitive but useful and customisable.

I actually tried it on the N9 i had, but it was a beta incomplete state and even like that i loved it.

The thing is to get the full experience and full suport you have to have the hardware, and even though Jolla is working on porting it to other hardware i dont see that comming that soon, plus i always like the unadultared from designer manufacturer device.

For example is not the same running Meego in an N9 which was the device it was design for, than running it on other devices.

Well that is my opinion, yes i would like the whole experience, with the other half and all.

But thanks for your input, i am working it out with a seller from the US who was selling one for USD400, but someone offered him more so i got to see where will this end, actually getting it here used could also easily get it up to USD600, so might as well try getting it new from factory.

So my request for help still stands, if someone is willing to help me i can pay through PayPal just got to tell me the amount.

Thanks anyone in advance.