Posts: 271 | Thanked: 20 times | Joined on Apr 2009 @ United Kingdom
Hi,

When I connect my Nokia N810 to my PC via mini-USB, all I can view is my 4GB memory card (L Drive) and another drive relating to the N810 (J Drive) but I don't know what this is.

I want to view the documents stored on my N810 with my PC but cannot directly view the N810 from my PC. Why is this? Also I cannot seem to view my memory card when accessing File manager within my N810... all I can view is the folder named "Noka N810".

I have about 20 things I want installed too (Many are applications) and would rather place the files on my N810 first and then install from my N810, than to individually visit every webpage to download the files.

Thanks for any help

Posts: 5,335 | Thanked: 8,187 times | Joined on Mar 2007 @ Pennsylvania, USA
Originally Posted by gohan2091 View Post
When I connect my Nokia N810 to my PC via mini-USB, all I can view is...another drive relating to the N810 (J Drive) but I don't know what this is.
The N810 has a built-in, non-replaceable, 2GB flash memory card. That is likely what you are seeing.

I want to view the documents stored on my N810 with my PC but cannot directly view the N810 from my PC. Why is this?
The internal memory in your N810, by default containing folders such as "Audio clips", "Documents", "Games", "Images", and "Video clips", is not mountable on your PC by simply plugging in the USB cable. Those folders are part of the tablet's own file system, and as it keeps running when connected via USB, it can't make those available to your PC as it does the memory cards.

You can use the memory cards as temporary storage to shuffle files between your PC and the internal memory of the tablet. You could also use Bluetooth to exchange files.

Alternatively, if your tablet could talk through WiFi to your PC, you could use OpenSSH server on the tablet and a SFTP client on the PC to exchange files. You may even be able to find a SFTP option for your PC that will allow you to access the remote share as if it were a network drive.

Also I cannot seem to view my memory card when accessing File manager within my N810... all I can view is the folder named "Noka N810".
While your tablet is connected to your PC via USB, this is normal. However, while not connected, you should be able to see and access the drives via the file manager. If you are unable to, there may be a problem with the file systems on the flash cards.

Originally Posted by gohan2091 View Post
Hi,

When I connect my Nokia N810 to my PC via mini-USB, all I can view is my 4GB memory card (L Drive) and another drive relating to the N810 (J Drive) but I don't know what this is.

I want to view the documents stored on my N810 with my PC but cannot directly view the N810 from my PC. Why is this? Also I cannot seem to view my memory card when accessing File manager within my N810... all I can view is the folder named "Noka N810".

I have about 20 things I want installed too (Many are applications) and would rather place the files on my N810 first and then install from my N810, than to individually visit every webpage to download the files.

Thanks for any help
As a side-note, most applications can be installed easily through the Application Manager without ever needing to visit a webpage. If you haven't done so already, open the Application Manager, then: Menu > Tools > Application Catalog > Select maemo extras > Edit > Uncheck Disabled.

After doing this, the application manager will automatically refresh (after hitting OK to both dialogs) and you can now see many applications when you Browse installable applications.

Of course to do this you need an internet connection.

Posts: 271 | Thanked: 20 times | Joined on Apr 2009 @ United Kingdom
Thanks guys, you have answered my questions well.

While your tablet is connected to your PC via USB, this is normal. However, while not connected, you should be able to see and access the drives via the file manager. If you are unable to, there may be a problem with the file systems on the flash cards.
I see it now, I didn't scroll down so I missed the 2 storage options.

As a side-note, most applications can be installed easily through the Application Manager without ever needing to visit a webpage. If you haven't done so already, open the Application Manager, then: Menu > Tools > Application Catalog > Select maemo extras > Edit > Uncheck Disabled.

After doing this, the application manager will automatically refresh (after hitting OK to both dialogs) and you can now see many applications when you Browse installable applications.

Of course to do this you need an internet connection.
I will look into this, thank you

Posts: 1,028 | Thanked: 578 times | Joined on Mar 2009 @ Chicago
I read the title of this thread and my eyes lit up... because I misunderstood what it meant... monitor output, anyone?

Posts: 5,335 | Thanked: 8,187 times | Joined on Mar 2007 @ Pennsylvania, USA
Originally Posted by JayOnThaBeat View Post
I read the title of this thread and my eyes lit up... because I misunderstood what it meant... monitor output, anyone?
Please take a look at X11VNC. If that's not what you're after, or if you have trouble with it, search for relevant old threads or start a new one with your questions.

Tags
n810, usb