Posts: 663 | Thanked: 282 times | Joined on Nov 2009 @ London, UK
I've got an issue where the N900 is stuck in a reboot loop - I don't even think it can charge.

Background
• Installed power kernel at some point in the past few months.
• Over the last weekend the touch screen mysterously stopped working (literally put it down, picked it up and it wasn't working).
• The touch screen became sparodic so I decided I best send it back while it was still under warranty.
• Prior to the send back I decided I should uninstall the custom kernel.
• Tried to do this from the App Manager (which I now know you shouldn't!) and got an error.
Some point later in the day I turned off the phone
• When I turned it back on it was in a reboot loop.

Now... I can't seem to get the thing to come out of this reboot loop - it doesn't even seem to charge, just keeps booting over and over flashing up the blue on white Nokia screen and vibrating.

I've flashed a few times in the past and am familiar with this process. The issue now is that I can't seem to get the computer to recognise the device - i.e. I can't get it into update mode on USB.

I've read through a few posts and tried different things, i.e. connecting the USB with the battery out and holding down 'u' while inseting the battery. I think I've probably tried every combination/order of holding down 'u', inserting the battery and plugging in the USB. I'm thinking that maybe because it can't/isn't charged the battery is too low and it won't go into update mode? Is this correct?

Anyone had any experience with a reboot loop this bad?
Nokia are a business and have chosen a path of using the OSS community phenomenon to reduce their overheads specifically after sales support and development. Unlike Apple who do the opposite and make a killing from their Applications store.

Originally Posted by cashclientel View Post
Background
• Installed power kernel at some point in the past few months.
• Over the last weekend the touch screen mysterously stopped working (literally put it down, picked it up and it wasn't working).
• The touch screen became sparodic so I decided I best send it back while it was still under warranty.
You do realise overclocking the device is ill-advised, done solely at your own risk and any damage caused by it isn't covered by the warranty, right?

• Prior to the send back I decided I should uninstall the custom kernel.
Right, you do. Note that even if you install the original kernel or even reflash there will probably still be traces of running the "power" kernel left in the log partition. You can still get it repaired for a fee.

• Tried to do this from the App Manager (which I now know you shouldn't!) and got an error.
Some point later in the day I turned off the phone
• When I turned it back on it was in a reboot loop.

Now... I can't seem to get the thing to come out of this reboot loop - it doesn't even seem to charge, just keeps booting over and over flashing up the blue on white Nokia screen and vibrating.
Sounds like you may have removed the kernel modules, in which case the only way out is reflashing the kernel and rootfs at least.

I'm thinking that maybe because it can't/isn't charged the battery is too low and it won't go into update mode? Is this correct?
Yes, IIRC it won't work unless the battery is at least 50% full. Can you charge it on another device or external charger?

Ima, thanks for your advice on the traces left by having the power kernel installed - I wasn't aware of this. Gonna have to chance this though. Knowing the margins on these products I think I'll be OK (i.e. they spend all of 20 seconds confirming it doesn't working, throwing it in a bin and then posting out a brand new one)... else, well if they do go to the trouble of looking in the logs and getting shirty about it - it's only a (now broken) phone.

Do you know a way to charge even when it doesn't seem to want to? I'd have thought charging was lower level than the kernel? I.e. handled by on board programming. Else I'll have to hook up with someone I know with an N900 and swap b8trez for an evening.
Nokia are a business and have chosen a path of using the OSS community phenomenon to reduce their overheads specifically after sales support and development. Unlike Apple who do the opposite and make a killing from their Applications store.

Last edited by cashclientel; 2010-09-16 at 11:48.

Well there's hardware charging too, but it switches on the phone when there's enough power. The bootloader then boots the kernel to hand over charging to the software, but then software crashes and system reboots...

Enough power to boot, not flash

ok so I need to get the battery charged externally somehow to resolve this.

will give it a try and come back with results.

thanks.

Posts: 5,795 | Thanked: 3,151 times | Joined on Feb 2007 @ Agoura Hills Calif
Originally Posted by lma View Post
You do realise overclocking the device is ill-advised, done solely at your own risk and any damage caused by it isn't covered by the warranty, right?

Right, you do. Note that even if you install the original kernel or even reflash there will probably still be traces of running the "power" kernel left in the log partition. You can still get it repaired for a fee.
Have you read the thousands of messages in the overclocking thread?

Overclocking is not in fact ill-advised.

If it is, you should immediately advise Nokia, because it is my understanding that the N900 has ALREADY been overclocked to a certain extent by Nokia.

So, I hope you're getting a real long letter ready for the new leader -- he probably doesn't realize how risky and ill-advised the action Nokia took with regard to the N900. I'm sure he will be fascinated.

Ok this is resolved (posting from N900)

I left the phone for 24 hours and the battery 'recharged' itself a tiny bit. Now I was able to enter the update mode and flash using the command line specifying kernel only so as to preserve all apps (and AB scores)

phew.

pretty crap it cant charge in cases where the kernel is corrupted and then it will run dry so it can't be re-flashed; but there you got.

Originally Posted by geneven View Post
Have you read the thousands of messages in the overclocking thread?
No, just the first few. Here's an excerpt:

Originally Posted by attila77 View Post
I don't know enough about the gritty details, but on the Summit, at the OMAP3 power presentation Igor Stoppa (and he's no n00b when it comes to Maemo HW ) very explicitly said - please don't overclock it - it WILL fry.
The thread quickly deteriorated to a mix of various "mine goes to 11" flavours and I don't even have an N900 anyway so I spared myself the pain. If there are any worthwhile posts buried in there feel free to point them out :-)

Overclocking is not in fact ill-advised.
http://wiki.maemo.org/Overclocking

If it is, you should immediately advise Nokia, because it is my understanding that the N900 has ALREADY been overclocked to a certain extent by Nokia.
Sigh... I can't be bothered to look up the "official" TI operational parameters of the OMAP 3430 (and they're not the whole story anyway as one of the biggest factors is the overall thermal management in the device) but at the end of the day whatever Nokia ships is what they have to support and cover by their warranty.

I really wish people would either stay within those parameters, or accept responsibility if they step outside them and damage their device. Trying to claim free warranty replacements is exactly the kind of behaviour that will give Nokia an excuse to try to prevent the rest of us from running any and all custom kernels in future devices.

@lma can you chill the rant on O/Cing - I deliberately ignored your first out of place comment on this, yet you've come back with your nonsense for no reason trying to ruin what could in future be a useful thread for someone. Doesn't matter if you're right or wrong, it's just a load of unrelated tosh.