Active Topics

Posts: 42 | Thanked: 15 times | Joined on Jul 2009 @ United Kingdom
I've searched the forums but can't find any solutions to this particular problem:

When I go into usb host mode on my n810 (latest version of Diablo) using usbcontrol I immediately get one warning that the usb device is not supported even though I haven't plugged anything in yet. Then when I do plug in a USB device nothing happens. I've tried different usb control apps, I've tried re-flashing which hasn't helped, I also tried pluging the n810 in b mode into a computer and then turning host mode on as suggested in one of the threads about a kernel issue with the n810 but nothing has worked. Does anyone have any idea whats wrong, could it be a hardware problem? (although the n810 mounts fine as a usb drive on my desktop).

Attached is what I get from dmesg
Attached Files
File Type: txt usb.txt (9.0 KB, 323 views)

Last edited by Chrisboff; 2009-07-30 at 11:54.

Looking through the dmesg I found this:

VBUS_ERROR in a_wait_vrise (91, <VBusValid), retry #1, port1 00000100
[ 170.484375] tusb_otg_ints 837: vbus too slow, devctl 91
[ 170.484375] tusb_source_power 633: VBUS a_wait_vfall, devctl 90 otg 154 conf c0000001 prcm 00a80500
[ 171.062500] tusb_source_power 633: VBUS a_idle

Does anyone know what this means?

I used a multimeter to check the power output of the usb port and when I select host mode immediately the voltage rises and falls in about half a second. At the same time it says usb device not supported even though no device is plugged in then it goes to a_idle and I get no voltage out of the usb port and no usb devices work.

Argh! This is really aggravating! Maybe I should just RMA my n810 and get a new one though I'm not sure they'd be too happy to replace a device which has a problem with an unadvertised feature. I wish I could figure out whether this is a hardware or a software issue.

Could any of you linux gurus explain to me what this vbus error could possibly mean? Thanks!

Why is no one answering? Is everyone as clueless about this as me?

Posts: 1,390 | Thanked: 642 times | Joined on Nov 2007 @ California USA
Originally Posted by Chrisboff View Post
Why is no one answering? Is everyone as clueless about this as me?
I am sorry to see that you have not yet had a response to your post. Sometimes It is not apparent to the members of this forum what your problem is. On the other hand, I have had someone respond within 5 minutes. I have been using "usbcontrol" and "eggtimer" for many months and suddenly they do not even run. I read this forum every single day of the week and catch some very interesting posts that are extremely helpful. Keep posting your problems and be patient.

The Following User Says Thank You to Den in USA For This Useful Post:
Ok, some developments:

I decided to reflash again since i have nothing to lose and the very first app I install is usbcontrol but when I tap on the icon to launch it nothing happens.

Then I installed the cpu load tray icon and rootsh and I try running usbcontrol again and again nothing happens and the cpu stays almost idle the whole time.

So I run usbcontrol from xterm with normal rights and it says that permission is denied to create new modes in '/sys/devices/platform/musb_hdrc/mode' and the usbcontrol ui loads but tapping the change mode buttons don't work so I run usbcontrol again with root priviledges and then it loads but the hildon style buttons are not loaded, it just has the generic linux skin which I wouldn't mind so much if it worked but it doesn't, I get the same vbus error that I explained in my above posts with the 'usb device not supported' popup appearing even before I plug in a device. So back to square one.

I reflash a second time and go through exactly the same thing as above so I reflash a third time and instead install the alternative usb-otg-plugin which installed and ran without any problems but still I have the same vbus problem.

I was wondering about the reflashing process: does it repartition the internal memory (not internal memory card) before rewriting the operating system files or does it just overwrite the system files with fresh ones? If it is the later then I was thinking that there might be a corrupted driver for the USB port and the reflash is not removing it which could be why I'm still having problems. If it is the former then it must be some kind of hardware problem because I can't see how else it could survive a reflash unless it is some problem with the really low level firmware of the usb controler.

Last edited by Chrisboff; 2009-07-31 at 13:48.

Posts: 1,390 | Thanked: 642 times | Joined on Nov 2007 @ California USA
I tried using xterm and also got the "permission denied" message.

The Following User Says Thank You to Den in USA For This Useful Post:
Posts: 2,355 | Thanked: 5,249 times | Joined on Jan 2009 @ Barcelona
it just has the generic linux skin
That's because you should become root by using "root" (check extras) or R&D (not recommended), not by using sudo or su (which will not properly set the environment vars).

I was wondering about the reflashing process: does it repartition the internal memory (not internal memory card) before rewriting the operating system files or does it just overwrite the system files with fresh ones?
It makes no sense to "repartition" the internal flash (partition limits are hardcoded). It does overwrite the initfs (were drivers/kernel modules are) and the rootfs (rest of the system), but not the config area; I don't know if the config area hosts anything related with usb config.

The Following User Says Thank You to javispedro For This Useful Post:
Originally Posted by javispedro View Post
That's because you should become root by using "root" (check extras) or R&D (not recommended), not by using sudo or su (which will not properly set the environment vars).
Good to know this, before I was doing:

1.) sudo gainroot

enter

2.) usbcontrol

So now I see that all I have to do is type root to get a root shell (you can probably see I'm a total n00b when it comes to linux! )

Thanks!

Originally Posted by javispedro View Post
It makes no sense to "repartition" the internal flash (partition limits are hardcoded). It does overwrite the initfs (were drivers/kernel modules are) and the rootfs (rest of the system), but not the config area; I don't know if the config area hosts anything related with usb config.
I see. I could have phrased it better when I said that; what I meant is whether the whole flash area is wiped but according to you it seems that this is not the case.

Could I then delete everything in the config area and then reflash? How do I go about doing this? Again, as you can see I'm not very experienced with linux but I know enough to find my way through the filesystem in terminal.

Thanks!

Last edited by Chrisboff; 2009-07-31 at 15:06.

The Following User Says Thank You to Chrisboff For This Useful Post:

Tags
error, host, otg, usb, vbus