Notices

Posts: 654 | Thanked: 664 times | Joined on Feb 2009 @ Germany
Hi All,

I just released version 0.1 of Conboy. Conboy is a note taking application that can read and write Tomboy files. There is still a lot to do, but the basics are working. It would be very nice, if you could try it and post your comments here. Currently it's only compiled for Diablo, as this is the only SDK I have installed. Future versions will be build using the autobuilder and will hopefully also work on other versions of maemo.

What is working so far:
  • Read Tomboy files as long as you don't use plug-ins for Tomboy. Bullet lists will be shown corrupted, but the files should stay ok.
  • Make formattings like bold, italic, strike,...
  • Auto-Save
  • Insert links to other notes
  • Zoom in and out using the hardware keys

Short list of the biggest TODOs:
  • Support bullet lists
  • Automatically insert links to existing notes while typing
  • Search in current note
  • Search in all notes
  • Sort notes by modification date
  • Undo/Redo
  • Localization
  • Synchronization with Tomboy
  • Create icon
  • And more

Here are the files: https://garage.maemo.org/frs/?group_id=920

It's written in C and the License is GPLv3. So if anyone wants to help - you're very welcome.

Cheers!
Conny
Attached Images

Last edited by conny; 2009-03-31 at 16:28. Reason: Added screenshots

The Following 11 Users Say Thank You to conny For This Useful Post:
Posts: 397 | Thanked: 99 times | Joined on Jun 2008 @ Toronto, Ontario
I hadn't checked out Tomboy before on my computer, looks like a useful app, especially if I can get a sync between my computer and my tablet. Will Conboy support syncing with a web server?

Posts: 1,950 | Thanked: 1,174 times | Joined on Jan 2008 @ Seattle, USA
Great project! Never heard of Tomboy before but found great info here and here. (I wish your title -- which, unfortunately, can't be edited -- said it was a note-taking app. It might attract the attention of more Tomboy-ignorant people like me.)

There's also an integration of Tomboy with Firefox called Tomfox, which reminds me a bit of BrentDC's Quick Clip. (Don't I wish your hildonized Tomboy could be combined with Quick Clip!)

I wish I had the skills to help (but I don't). Since I'm a Windows (and Mac) user, I don't know about Tomboy except what I've read in the above links, but it seems like it would more than satisfy my wish for a program like QuickDex.

Good luck, and please keep going!

Originally Posted by Nelson L. Squeeko View Post
I hadn't checked out Tomboy before on my computer, looks like a useful app, especially if I can get a sync between my computer and my tablet. Will Conboy support syncing with a web server?
I hope to support syncing as soon as possible. First priority now is to support bullet lists and auto-linking. After that it would be syncing. Without that is's not really that useful for me too

Originally Posted by GeraldKo View Post
Great project! Never heard of Tomboy before but found great info here and here. (I wish your title -- which, unfortunately, can't be edited -- said it was a note-taking app. It might attract the attention of more Tomboy-ignorant people like me.)
Thank you! You're completely right with the title. I'm using Tomboy so much that I was thinking everyone should know it. Well, this was of course a stupid asumption... I'll keep it in mind for the next version.

There's also an integration of Tomboy with Firefox called Tomfox, which reminds me a bit of BrentDC's Quick Clip. (Don't I wish your hildonized Tomboy could be combined with Quick Clip!)

I wish I had the skills to help (but I don't). Since I'm a Windows (and Mac) user, I don't know about Tomboy except what I've read in the above links, but it seems like it would more than satisfy my wish for a program like QuickDex.
I'll have a look into the programs you mentioned above, maybe some collaboration or idea-stealing will be possible BTW, there is also a windows version of Tomboy. I never tried it, but have a look here.

Good luck, and please keep going!
I will! Thanks for your comments!

The Following User Says Thank You to conny For This Useful Post: