Active Topics

Posts: 4 | Thanked: 0 times | Joined on Jan 2011 @ Brisbane, Australia
I was hoping I could get a heads up on what is and isn't good for the following tasks on the N900.

1. multi-protocol IM client, jabber primary but something like a gaim or adium equivalent would be good.

2. c/php/html editor.

3. tasks/checklist and notes management. Would like to attach code snippets, audio and images.

4. rss reader, preferably something that supports the google rss feeds sync.

5. VNC and RDP client. Just for quick and dirty administrative tasks on OSX and MSTS servers.

6. GPS track logging, recording hiking routes nice if it supports Google my maps.

7. spreadsheet app. support for google docs would be great but not indispensable.

8. I have been using an app called TapaTalk for forums that support it. Is there anything comparable to it that might proovide some native support for vBulletin or phpbb3?

9. chm reader.

10. Have been using whatsapp as an alternative to SMS. They do an S60 version and I'm wondering if anyone has any success running it on the N900?

Thanks in advance, I'm hoping the N900 will be my modern LX200

Posts: 1,425 | Thanked: 983 times | Joined on May 2010 @ Hong Kong
1. multi-protocol IM client, jabber primary but something like a gaim or adium equivalent would be good.
telepathy-gabble
mcabber
qutim
pidgin

Well actually you can use almost any messengers on earth by default. Just look for telepathy-*

2. c/php/html editor.
qemacs

3. tasks/checklist and notes management. Would like to attach code snippets, audio and images.
penpen
qvernote
conboy
mnotes

None of them would fulfill a full list of your requirements anyway

4. rss reader, preferably something that supports the google rss feeds sync.
It has a RSS reader by default, besides, you can get
penguinreader
resistance
feedcircuit

5. VNC and RDP client. Just for quick and dirty administrative tasks on OSX and MSTS servers.
presencevnc
vncviewer
rdesktop
rdesktop-cli

6. GPS track logging, recording hiking routes nice if it supports Google my maps.
gpsrecorder - you might need to research a bit; otherwise you may get the commercial software Sygic mobile map

7. spreadsheet app. support for google docs would be great but not indispensable.
gnumeric

8. I have been using an app called TapaTalk for forums that support it. Is there anything comparable to it that might proovide some native support for vBulletin or phpbb3?
Just use the browser. N900 provides better browsing experience for you than any other smartphone.

9. chm reader.
There's a firefox extension for it. You may need to research a bit to see if it works best for the default web browser MicroB or the Firefox.

10. Have been using whatsapp as an alternative to SMS. They do an S60 version and I'm wondering if anyone has any success running it on the N900?
I'd highly recommend against you use app like Whatsapp.

Originally Posted by flibbulator View Post
I was hoping I could get a heads up on what is and isn't good for the following tasks on the N900.

Thanks in advance, I'm hoping the N900 will be my modern LX200
I answer this in the last: I think you should try them out yourself and tell us how good they are, because you might be the most suitable person with hand-on experience to tell the difference.

Last edited by 9000; 2011-01-25 at 01:50.

Thanks 9000, much appreciated.

Posts: 103 | Thanked: 50 times | Joined on Jan 2010 @ Chicago
You might want to download Grr. This RSS reader works very well with Google Reader

Originally Posted by Dunsurfin View Post
You might want to download Grr. This RSS reader works very well with Google Reader
I actually tried that one but found the formatting on some feeds such as Engadget to be complete out of whack.

Posts: 103 | Thanked: 50 times | Joined on Jan 2010 @ Chicago
Originally Posted by flibbulator View Post
I actually tried that one but found the formatting on some feeds such as Engadget to be complete out of whack.
The version is Extras Testing may fix this for you.