Posts: 303 | Thanked: 175 times | Joined on Oct 2009 @ London UK
URGH.. urban legend almost..

I installed PR1.2 with something like 40meg free..

Nowhere near 50meg free..

My colleague couldn't install even though he had 55Meg free because he had GLtron installed..
Here's why

gltron and tuxracer (for example) require libgles1

libgles1 requires libgles1-sgx-img

and
libgles1-sgx-img requires opengles-sgx-img-common
BUT it requires EXACTLY version 0.20091104.6.1+0m5

PR1.2 wants to upgrade opengles-sgx-img-common to version 0.20091104.34+0m5 and in doing so would BREAK that dependency..

So.. its not always removing a zillion packages to free space.. its removing a package that depends on something that depends on something that doesn't work with the PR1.2 upgrade

Other packages that seemed to cause similar problems:
uninstall:

tunewiki
freoffice
openarena
countdowntimer
teeworld
brainparty

Even though they use very little root space

The Following 8 Users Say Thank You to cpitchford For This Useful Post:
I have just 're-flashed' the v1.1.1 using the software updater. I made a backup (to the phone, not to PC) and restored it afer doing this and got my apps back. Then the application manager let me install the new PR1.2. Thanks for the suggestions about that method.

Astute- it worked for me give it a try- no need to back up to PC- just run the n900's own backup. It keeps all your pics and music and stuff on the general hard drive area, and creates a list of what apps and programs you had installed then it automatically re-installs them for you if you so wish.

Funny thing is- I think I had about 53mb free rootfs after doing that- and before I re-flashed I had deleted a few extra things just to see if it worked, and it wouldn't at 60mb free space. So, some app or other must be doing something.

The Following User Says Thank You to kyllerbuzcut For This Useful Post:
Posts: 282 | Thanked: 337 times | Joined on Dec 2009 @ Austin, TX, USA
I saw a few posts on people having trouble with Extras-devel after flashing. I had the same trouble. Edit the catalog entry and make sure that the box marked "Distribution" says "fremantle". That was missing on mine--it didn't seem to matter before today.

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to rmerren For This Useful Post:
yes, cpitchford Brain party wouldn't re-install and neither would tux race- I thought they might have some blame in why UI couldn't install OTA in the first place. figured I'd have to re-download once I am finished. Phone is still going through update process at the moment. At least it's doing it now

Posts: 89 | Thanked: 14 times | Joined on Nov 2009 @ London
alot of my apps i cant reinstall because extras dlevel and testing fail to refresh properly

i have added freemantle to the distribution

Posts: 140 | Thanked: 38 times | Joined on Mar 2010 @ Earth
Originally Posted by kyllerbuzcut View Post
I have just 're-flashed' the v1.1.1 using the software updater. I made a backup (to the phone, not to PC) and restored it afer doing this and got my apps back. Then the application manager let me install the new PR1.2. Thanks for the suggestions about that method.

Astute- it worked for me give it a try- no need to back up to PC- just run the n900's own backup. It keeps all your pics and music and stuff on the general hard drive area, and creates a list of what apps and programs you had installed then it automatically re-installs them for you if you so wish.

Funny thing is- I think I had about 53mb free rootfs after doing that- and before I re-flashed I had deleted a few extra things just to see if it worked, and it wouldn't at 60mb free space. So, some app or other must be doing something.

Ok cheers for the pointer. I backed up the device to itself before i started all this so fingers crossed. The apps i aint worried about its losing the music, say no more.

N900 - Use, Master, Appreciate.

Posts: 140 | Thanked: 38 times | Joined on Mar 2010 @ Earth
hmmmm.....before i done the above i tried another OTA at 54.5mb free in rootfs and its downloading now......fingers crossed.

After 15 minutes of OTA downloading.....20 mins of OTA updating....device rebooted and working ok. Need to dive in and check it out in detail but boots, reboots fine. All convos, pic messages, contacts, media is there. Just need to do a restore from my early evening back up before i removed many apps in free'ing up rootfs space.

N900 - Use, Master, Appreciate.

Last edited by Astute; 2010-05-25 at 22:51.

Posts: 38 | Thanked: 13 times | Joined on Apr 2010 @ London
Originally Posted by rmerren View Post
I saw a few posts on people having trouble with Extras-devel after flashing. I had the same trouble. Edit the catalog entry and make sure that the box marked "Distribution" says "fremantle". That was missing on mine--it didn't seem to matter before today.
Thanks a bunch, mate, i fixed my catalogue by doing exactly what you proposed. Thank you!

Originally Posted by IINexusII View Post
alot of my apps i cant reinstall because extras dlevel and testing fail to refresh properly

i have added freemantle to the distribution
fremantle, NOT freemantle

The Following User Says Thank You to myrjola For This Useful Post:
Posts: 909 | Thanked: 216 times | Joined on Nov 2009 @ Bremen, Germany
i never thought this day will come!

:O

Uploaded with ImageShack.us
Attached Images

The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to msa For This Useful Post: