Posts: 2,535 | Thanked: 6,681 times | Joined on Mar 2008 @ UK
Originally Posted by strank View Post
How does Maemo handle /var/log/ ? Is there some mechanism to prevent it from filling up? Or is it just expected from all applications to not fill the root partition with log files?
See discussion and comments on the (relatively new) #5746.

The Following User Says Thank You to Jaffa For This Useful Post:
Originally Posted by Rushmore View Post
Folks, no way to spin this. The N900 should have had 512mb of flash (Probably add $75 more to cost though?)
+ engineering complexity + additional space.

Anyway, no one's trying to "spin it", people are trying to fix it. Yes, it was stupid & braindead of Nokia to not realise this was going to be a problem until September 2009 (or at least communicate their proposed solution). However, it's time to move on and work with what we've got.

The Following 6 Users Say Thank You to Jaffa For This Useful Post:
I don't believe being braindead has anything to do with it, I'm positive it's as y'all say a question about price, complexity etc.

On the other hand, I also think it's a priority they'd done differently if they had known earlier just how much better smartphones are in December 2009 compared to December 2008. There are clever product developers elsewhere, too. My claim is that smartphones in general has gotten better a whole lot faster the last 15ish months.

Posts: 696 | Thanked: 1,012 times | Joined on Mar 2006 @ Asturies, Spain
What worries me as a developer is:

* Should I promote my packages (optified) to Extras when they depend on things like python (non-optified)?
I don't feel very well about my users doing it.

Put the example python because obviously it's my first interest (and it's in Extras yet), but the same could say for Qt dependencies, (even gtkmm/hildonmm?). AFAIK these are neither optified, and perhaps never will be.

In my opinion the real problem aren't the applications itself, generally they are few MB, but the dependent libraries.
People doing testing should check more these libraries.

The Following 9 Users Say Thank You to yerga For This Useful Post:
That's what I'm talking about when I pointed out porting. The people with a heart for Maemo wants to concentrate on using or developing their own applications, while the libraries are only being ported because they have to. There's no enthusiasm about things you need to do but'd rather see someone else do.

As a developer who's not yet contributed anything to the community, I am a prime example Oh, I suck.

Originally Posted by qgil View Post
- maemo.org Extras pre-configured but not enabled by default. Users need to check the box if the repo hasn't been installed by other means.
This is disappointing in the context of #3279 and the effort the community is putting in on the QA process. However, it's also flawed if links to Maemo Select are going to be prominent on shipped devices. The first time a user installs a community app from Maemo Select, Extras is going to get enabled. Figuring that at least 90% of users will install one of the apps from Maemo Select and that it's 50/50 whether it's a community app, why not ship with Extras enabled out-of-the-box?

Originally Posted by volt View Post
I don't believe being braindead has anything to do with it, I'm positive it's as y'all say a question about price, complexity etc.
Except the product managers and engineers knew they were using an OMAP3430 with the same amount of NAND space as the N810 over a year ago. And then a month before launch Nokia announce that pretty much every third party app has to install into a different location as there's not enough space on the rootfs? It was braindead. Truly. If the problem were properly recognised earlier (and it should've carried over from the N8x0 feedback), there are multiple cleaner solutions architecturally (which have been discussed in the original maemo-developers thread).

The Following 10 Users Say Thank You to Jaffa For This Useful Post:
Originally Posted by volt View Post
That's what I'm talking about when I pointed out porting. The people with a heart for Maemo wants to concentrate on using or developing their own applications, while the libraries are only being ported because they have to. There's no enthusiasm about things you need to do but'd rather see someone else do.
Which is why the conclusion at the BOF was that the buildbot would run maemo-optify on everything at some point in the future, unless the developer specifically told it not to, or the package already installed into /opt.

The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Jaffa For This Useful Post:
Posts: 1,255 | Thanked: 393 times | Joined on Oct 2009 @ US
Originally Posted by Jaffa View Post
+ engineering complexity + additional space.

Anyway, no one's trying to "spin it", people are trying to fix it. Yes, it was stupid & braindead of Nokia to not realise this was going to be a problem until September 2009 (or at least communicate their proposed solution). However, it's time to move on and work with what we've got.
I actually changed my post and got rid of the "spin" and everything else, since spin was a poor word choice. Adding 256mb more flash would have added $50 to $75 more dollars to the device. I think that common yield for flash is 256mb, so that is what EVERYONE buys- Nokia, HTC, Motorolla, etc. for phone devices.

I used to buy connectors and memory for IBM (before Lenovo) for motherboard production and consumer electronics for contract manufacturing. I appreciate the cost issues.

Still, as an N900 future user, about how many apps will I be able to install from the repository or other sources that adhere to the rules? Using the measure of 10 megs per app as an average.

How much space will we even have, considering some of that space is already taken?

Last edited by Rushmore; 2009-10-23 at 16:55.

Posts: 5,478 | Thanked: 5,222 times | Joined on Jan 2006 @ St. Petersburg, FL
But we shared and discussed (read the maemo-developers archives) and what we have is what we have agreed to be the best solution available.
I'd disagree with that assertion. It's the best compromise available given the late timeframe Nokia decided to try to solve the issue.

- maemo.org Extras pre-configured but not enabled by default. Users need to check the box if the repo hasn't been installed by other means.
As I've said elsewhere, this feels like a slap in the face to all of the people who have been working so hard on both the QA process and the packages going through it. It's made worse when you consider how trivial it is to get Extras enabled right from the desktop.

Posts: 445 | Thanked: 572 times | Joined on Oct 2009 @ Oxford
Originally Posted by Jaffa View Post
It's not a blatant FHS violation by any means. FHS allows for applications to be installed at /opt/<registered vendor id>/<package or whatever they want> or /opt/<package>:
Add-on software; not stuff that comes from the OS repositories. Which is why on a conventional Debian/Fedora/etc. system with all the software coming from OS debs/RPMs you'll find a completely empty /opt.

That's also rather built into the assumptions that maemo-optify makes, since it will refuse to modify any package that's already using /opt for anything, so as designed it will only function on debs that don't use /opt directly.