Can any of you talented Tableteers find a way for Firefox to be installed with KDE? Since the standard MicroB browser is not as stable quite yet, it would be nice to have another option besides Konqueror..

Help us newbs out

Last edited by migs; 2008-01-14 at 21:19.

Posts: 3,096 | Thanked: 1,525 times | Joined on Jan 2006 @ Michigan, USA
Originally Posted by migs View Post
Can any of you talented Tableteers find a way for Firefox to be installed with KDE? Since the standard MicroB browser is not as stable quite yet, it would be nice to have another option besides Konqueror..

Help us newbs out
I am all for it, I just cant compile it. Everytime I try to compile Mozilla, seamonkey, thunderbird (this would be nice), firefox, or any other moz based brower or addon. I fail while compile xpcom everytime its something.

So I am assuming the reason one does not exist already is because nobody can make it exist

But again I wecome it. perhaps a bounty should be offered?
To all my Maemo friends. I will no longer be monitoring any of my threads here on a regular basis. I am no longer supporting anything I did under maemo at maemo.org. If you need some help with something you can reach me at tablethacker.com or www.facebook.com/penguinbait. I have disabled my PM's here, and removed myself from Council email and Community mailing list. There has been some fun times, see you around.

Originally Posted by migs View Post
Are you comparing Firefox on the desktop to MicroB on the tablet? It'll never be as stable as that, there's just not enough RAM or CPU.

Firefox 3 (minefield) has been compiled for the tablets:
http://ftp.mozilla.org/pub/mozilla.o....9-1_armel.deb

The Following User Says Thank You to dblank For This Useful Post:
Posts: 18 | Thanked: 6 times | Joined on Dec 2007 @ Warsaw, Poland
And here are build info for developers.
http://wiki.mozilla.org/Mobile/Build...d_Instructions
The question is if it works: I was not able to install it on my n810 - package is broken (downloaded correctly).
Note: Managed to download it correctly and it installed, but under Hildon never manages to finish starting.

Last edited by jakubd; 2008-01-16 at 00:49.

The Following User Says Thank You to jakubd For This Useful Post:
WOW, that was not pleasant. I just installed it and ran and it was very painfull.

I would not bother unless someone does something to that. The CPU spiked to 100 forever I eventually have to kill it, although I did not try waiting more than a minute. The window loads but just freezes.

TOP shows 98% CPU and 88% memory used for firefox-bin

Ouch!!
To all my Maemo friends. I will no longer be monitoring any of my threads here on a regular basis. I am no longer supporting anything I did under maemo at maemo.org. If you need some help with something you can reach me at tablethacker.com or www.facebook.com/penguinbait. I have disabled my PM's here, and removed myself from Council email and Community mailing list. There has been some fun times, see you around.

For me it is somewhat usable under KDE, although it does take over a minute to load, and it seems to crash randomly for no apparent reason.

In os2008 it pops up the hildon keyboard when a text field is selected but no text gets entered into it. However kvkbd loads in os2008, and it works to input text.

Flash works with it even in KDE.

I hope an updated package gets released soon, that is a lot less buggy.

Originally Posted by iKneaDough View Post
For me it is somewhat usable under KDE, although it does take over a minute to load, and it seems to crash randomly for no apparent reason.

In os2008 it pops up the hildon keyboard when a text field is selected but no text gets entered into it. However kvkbd loads in os2008, and it works to input text.

Flash works with it even in KDE.

I hope an updated package gets released soon, that is a lot less buggy.

It would be great if it could be optimized. The flash alone would be great. I have tried to point Konqueror at the flash plugin but it just bombs.

Posts: 18 | Thanked: 6 times | Joined on Dec 2007 @ Warsaw, Poland
OK, when I started minefield it showed up part of the interface (after around 10s) and then started to eat CPU power, 100MB of memory and no change for 10 minutes. No difference if run under KDE or Hildon. No access to the interface at all. It's some kind of hang for me

Tags
deprecated, firefox, kde, kde35