Can anyone comment please, what bootloader is used on Jolla with Sailfish?

Is it possible to boot Sailfish there in verbose mode (i.e. not with the splash screen but with detailed output from the kernel, systemd and etc.)?

For example in GRUB I usually set loglevel=4 as a parameter for bootloader to get a reasonably verbose output. Nexus 7 for example uses its own closed bootloader, but you can pass kernel parameters to it (such as loglevel and others) for booting Plasma Active or Nemo.

It was extlinux in the SDK, not sure if production has changed. Is there no conf file in /boot ?

I don't have a device. So asking a theoretical question

Posts: 889 | Thanked: 2,087 times | Joined on Sep 2010 @ Manchester
contents of /boot:
Code:
boot.img                 NON-HLOS.bin  sbl1.mbn  System.map
config-3.4.0.20131118.1  persist.img   sbl2.mbn  System.map-3.4.0.20131118.1
emmc_appsboot.mbn        rpm.mbn

Posts: 1,671 | Thanked: 11,478 times | Joined on Jun 2008 @ Warsaw, Poland
Fastboot/Little Kernel. And no, due to technical reasons, it's not possible to get a framebuffer console.

The Following 11 Users Say Thank You to Stskeeps For This Useful Post:
Guest | Posts: n/a | Thanked: 0 times | Joined on
Wouldnt be much usefull on a small screen I would say anyways.
But, perhaps a serial console and connected laptop/screen ?

The Following User Says Thank You to For This Useful Post:
Originally Posted by Stskeeps View Post
Fastboot/Little Kernel. And no, due to technical reasons, it's not possible to get a framebuffer console.
Is it some limitation of the GPU or it's a limitation of Qualcomm's code not enabling framebuffer support in the kernel?

Last edited by shmerl; 2013-12-18 at 16:50.

Posts: 1,671 | Thanked: 11,478 times | Joined on Jun 2008 @ Warsaw, Poland
Originally Posted by shmerl View Post
Is it some limitation of the GPU or it's a limitation of Qualcomm's code not enabling framebuffer support in the kernel?
Latter, their framebuffer code is tied into a HW composer so it's just not possible to enable framebuffer console.

The Following 8 Users Say Thank You to Stskeeps For This Useful Post:
Posts: 58 | Thanked: 63 times | Joined on Dec 2009 @ Marlborough, Wiltshire, UK
Hopefully for the future development of the phone Qualcomm will be persuaded to see sense and the benefit of Open Source and free up the code to their software blob.

It is just unfortunate that a phone clearly aimed at the developer community inhibits their work by preventing the possibility of access to all code and full re-flashing back to factory or modified rom.

If Qualcomm fails to be supportive I hope the next Jolla phone will have a chipset from a manufacturer that understands the principles of FOSS.

In the meantime the phone is a good middle of the road platform to develop Sailfish in a real hardware environment and improve the GUI by getting feedback from real users on physical hardware. I am certainly finding mine very interesting and rewarding which is good Value For Money.

The long term future of the Jolla company and Sailfish are great and they should be supported despite the current issues with binary blobs in their first phone.

Richard

The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to richardski For This Useful Post:
Qualcomm is a typical crooked company when it comes to dealing with open source. Their attack on the open codecs is a good demonstration of what they are. So I wouldn't expect any common sense from them. If anything, Jolla should strongly try to avoid them next time. Intel SoC could be much better for a FOSS friendly device, but that will have to wait until at least the end of 2014.

Last edited by shmerl; 2014-01-28 at 19:44.

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to shmerl For This Useful Post: