Active Topics

I'm just disappointed that a decent fork of Android hasn't been made yet. MIUI was ambitious. CMod is only focused on running on devices in the first place.

It seems like the biggest software innovations on Android are happening from the likes of the OEMs, and cross - platform tools like VillainMOD and Xposed Module.

Where is the fork of AOSP where Google's services are stripped and the system ports a new kernel from Linux and utilises C++ (or better yet Qt) as the major framework.

Perhaps even adopting the RIM PlayBook OSv2.1.1-esque user interface written in Qt. Basically a Mer competitor that's got roots in Android and can support said Apps.

(just venting because my laptop just died and can't chroot the NOTE 3 without it, and that N900 is officially dead)

I'm flattered

Posts: 7,074 | Thanked: 9,069 times | Joined on Oct 2009 @ Moon! It's not the East or the West side... it's the Dark Side
While you suggestions seems like a fun project it is containing lots of work and very little reward.

I don't trust poeple without a Nokia n900...

Originally Posted by Dave999 View Post
While you suggestions seems like a fun project it is containing lots of work and very little reward.
How so?
Porting an AOSP to an Android-based device is infinitely easier than porting Mer. Having an Android-fork with the Qt framework would mean I could enjoy the spoils of Linux on a portable machine (yes I know rpm's would need some modification) but it could be done.

The reward: Linux gone mainstream, unlike Android.

I'm flattered

Posts: 7,074 | Thanked: 9,069 times | Joined on Oct 2009 @ Moon! It's not the East or the West side... it's the Dark Side
Most things can be done but ...read my previous post again.

Posts: 2,142 | Thanked: 2,054 times | Joined on Dec 2006 @ Sicily
Originally Posted by Kangal View Post
(just venting because my laptop just died and can't chroot the NOTE 3 without it, and that N900 is officially dead)
If your device is already rooted, you don't need an external PC. Just install one of those apps that download the distro filesystem from the original repositories and setup the chroot.
You could try Linux Deploy: https://market.android.com/details?i...ik.linuxdeploy
which will install also X and/or VNC, and a number of window managers.

The Following User Says Thank You to debernardis For This Useful Post:
Posts: 1,873 | Thanked: 4,529 times | Joined on Mar 2010 @ North Potomac MD
This sounds real nice. I use Linux on Android but it can't, as far as I know, do sound. Does Linux Deploy handle sound?

My Gnote OG is dead. Even with different battery. Got it on release day. An ERA is over.

The Following User Says Thank You to Dave999 For This Useful Post:
Posts: 1,974 | Thanked: 1,834 times | Joined on Mar 2013 @ india
you can always use it as a fancy tray

Originally Posted by Dave999 View Post
My Gnote OG is dead. Even with different battery. Got it on release day. An ERA is over.
Your post had me worried. When I had made my group shot of phones my Gnote OG did not turn on. Further, it would not charge up. I figured it was probably a battery gone bad but then you said your phone would not start up, even with a replacement battery. So yesterday I decided to buy a new battery and fortunately it fired up and would complete the remaining charge. I really loved the dimensions of that device. The 2 and the 3 are not quite as wide but that mm or so makes a difference. I also was using a rom that was based on the Note 8 so it had a tablet feel to it. One thing that I especially liked was that I could open a floating app that could go full screen and back to floating window by pressing a tab in the corner of the window. Anyways, as I played with it, it kind of struck me how the response was not that different than my Jolla phone. I then checked out the specs and in many respects, despite the different screen size, they were about the same. My guess, if I was really forced to choose between the two I might pick the OG...

If true I am a happy camper. Also, assuming aspect ratio is retained width would be at least equal to OGN which was my preference.

http://au.ibtimes.com/articles/55261...m#.U3TNQvGljmB

Last edited by mscion; 2014-05-15 at 15:27.

The Following User Says Thank You to mscion For This Useful Post:

Tags
android, galaxy note