Active Topics

Posts: 1,195 | Thanked: 2,708 times | Joined on Jan 2010 @ Hanoi
Originally Posted by Dave999 View Post
Okay, to conclude this topic. It's obvious that people still using n900 but it might be fewer and fewer. But overall it was a success and I Salut all that participated. See you again next year...

Btw We lost with one post against n900 week 2013 http://talk.maemo.org/showthread.php?t=91160
Dave thanks again for the challenge.

The number of N900 users is now increasing again! I for one ditch my Jolla as main phone in favour of the N900 and my father has recently been converted to the N900 from an E71 due to need for easier web search while on the road.

There is no place like home and with the N900 as your trusty companion home is virtually everywhere. N900, never die!

The Following 6 Users Say Thank You to ste-phan For This Useful Post:
Posts: 1,195 | Thanked: 2,708 times | Joined on Jan 2010 @ Hanoi
Originally Posted by The Sand View Post
No - It functions well for many, many reasons - but other smartphones are trying very hard to tie you to the ecosystem and track you to your user account right after you take it out of the box and turn it on. It was just a comparison where the N900 shines - that was my point
understood that all, just put that question mark by accident

standard procedure in other (Android) phone: find out ROM + root method of the day - install security software (LBE style) - find some software that allows side-downloading APK from ecosystem - install (side load) essential apps on mobile device - fix per app permissions on mobile device - hope all works as it should - suffer inferior user interface - never update because of not wishing to repeat the whole **** over and over - wonder about security leaks...

-->>> big headache, no thanks.

The Following 6 Users Say Thank You to ste-phan For This Useful Post:
Posts: 94 | Thanked: 53 times | Joined on Apr 2010 @ UK LONDON
is it over yet? If its not I want to say this:
I love my n900 btw, best phone ever. I got 2 years after it come out due to financial issues in my family but it was worthed

I was lurking this website from day 1, couldnt contribute much without a phone though but I really like the fact that this community is still quite active

N900 For life
posted from my N900
next: neo900

Android/iOS developer
ready for maemo coding competition 2016!

Last edited by andil; 2014-10-13 at 10:03.

The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to andil For This Useful Post:
Posts: 3,139 | Thanked: 8,156 times | Joined on Feb 2013 @ From my Gabriola Island hermitage, near the Edge of the World
Ah Dave...
I'm sure there are tons more who have, use and or covet their n900 but didn't chime in.
No worries mate...next year will see more new people who have joined since...adding their voices to n900 week.

Owner of :
1-n770 (in retirement), 3-n800's / 3-n810's (still in daily use), 5-n900's ((3 are flawless, 1 loose usb ( parts), 1 has no telephony (parts))
3-nexus 5's : 1 w/ Floko Pie 9.1 (running beautifully) waiting for Stable Droid 10 rom, 1 w/ ̶Ubuntu Touch, 1 with Maru OS (intend maemo leste when ready)

1/2 - neo900 pre- "purchased" in 2013. N̶o̶w̶ ̶A̶w̶a̶i̶t̶i̶n̶g̶ ̶r̶e̶f̶u̶n̶d̶ ̶p̶r̶o̶c̶e̶s̶s̶ ̶l̶a̶s̶t̶ ̶f̶e̶w̶ ̶y̶e̶a̶r̶s̶ - neo900 start up declared officially dead -
Lost invested funds.

PIMP MY N8X0 (Idiot's Guide and a video walkthrough)http://talk.maemo.org/showthread.php?t=94294
THE LOST GRONMAYER CATALOGShttp://talk.maemo.org/showthread.php...ight=gronmayer
N8X0 VIDEO ENCODING THE EASY WAYhttp://talk.maemo.org/showthread.php...ght=mediacoder
242gb ON N800http://talk.maemo.org/showthread.php?t=90634
THE PAIN-FREE MAEMO DEVELOPMENT LIVE DISTRO-ISO FOR THE NOOB TO THE PROhttp://talk.maemo.org/showthread.php?t=95567
AFFORDABLE MASS PRODUCTION FOR MAEMO PARTShttp://talk.maemo.org/showthread.php?t=93325

Meateo balloons now available @ Dave999's Meateo Emporium

The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to endsormeans For This Useful Post:
Originally Posted by endsormeans View Post
Ah Dave...
I'm sure there are tons more who have, use and or covet their n900 but didn't chime in.
No worries mate...next year will see more new people who have joined since...adding their voices to n900 week.
so do i

i am too late for this week, but my n900 is up and running...
my jolla is fine, but n900 rocks!

bye, sperle.

The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to sperle For This Useful Post:
Posts: 20 | Thanked: 23 times | Joined on Mar 2010 @ Los Angeles, CA
Originally Posted by ste-phan View Post
understood that all, just put that question mark by accident

standard procedure in other (Android) phone: find out ROM + root method of the day - install security software (LBE style) - find some software that allows side-downloading APK from ecosystem - install (side load) essential apps on mobile device - fix per app permissions on mobile device - hope all works as it should - suffer inferior user interface - never update because of not wishing to repeat the whole **** over and over - wonder about security leaks...

-->>> big headache, no thanks.
Yes, too much trouble for an inferior user experience that still leaves nagging doubts…

In closing on this most auspicious week…

I really can’t even explain why I love this device. And it definitely is the hardware and software together – it is a combo thing for me, the two coming together to make one extraordinary device.

I bought the N900 the day it came out in the U.S. and had to open up an another phone line on a different carrier to run it at its fastest capacity. It wasn’t that long either before we found out Nokia wasn’t going to continue with maemo. You would think I would be infuriated spending that kind of cash (I am not made of money) on an OS that wasn’t going to be supported. I was so happy with the N900 from the beginning I wasn’t mad. I am still shocked by that, because I am the type that would get mad. But I didn’t feel “burned” – I still don’t.

Other devices have come and gone (unboxed and then boxed, I never give away my hardware) but the N900 still remains on my desk or by my bed day after day and night after night.

I don’t see that changing and look forward to N900 week 2015!

The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to The Sand For This Useful Post:
Originally Posted by The Sand View Post
Yes, too much trouble for an inferior user experience that still leaves nagging doubts…

In closing on this most auspicious week…

I really can’t even explain why I love this device. And it definitely is the hardware and software together – it is a combo thing for me, the two coming together to make one extraordinary device.

I bought the N900 the day it came out in the U.S. and had to open up an another phone line on a different carrier to run it at its fastest capacity. It wasn’t that long either before we found out Nokia wasn’t going to continue with maemo. You would think I would be infuriated spending that kind of cash (I am not made of money) on an OS that wasn’t going to be supported. I was so happy with the N900 from the beginning I wasn’t mad. I am still shocked by that, because I am the type that would get mad. But I didn’t feel “burned” – I still don’t.

Other devices have come and gone (unboxed and then boxed, I never give away my hardware) but the N900 still remains on my desk or by my bed day after day and night after night.

I don’t see that changing and look forward to N900 week 2015!
I understand your feelings for the N900, because I also have had the same experience.

I was thinking recently about the reason for this, and I think the answer is that the Nokia N900 represents endless possibility (regardless of natural restrictions due to aging hardware). It is the most open platform, and the possibilities for customization, as well as development of new programs, even on the device itself, have almost no limit. How many phones run python, perl, ruby, java, bash, plt-scheme, c, c++, etc?

The hardware, despite a slow CPU by modern standards, is superior in options and configurability to any other mobile device. IR, FM transmitter and receiver, USB OTG, physical keyboard, the best resistive screen ever, composite video out with configurable signal parameters, etc.

Then you have an unparalleled community of smart and dedicated people constantly working on making the N900 even better.

To me, the N900 is like a small plane. It might not be too fast, but you can fly anywhere you want. In comparison, modern mainstream phones are like supercharged F1 cars which you can only drive in specific roadways. Speed is not freedom. Freedom is freedom.

Last edited by malfunctioning; 2014-10-14 at 06:14.

The Following 6 Users Say Thank You to malfunctioning For This Useful Post:
Posts: 20 | Thanked: 23 times | Joined on Mar 2010 @ Los Angeles, CA
Enjoyed your insight and very well said

The Following User Says Thank You to The Sand For This Useful Post:
Posts: 2,142 | Thanked: 2,054 times | Joined on Dec 2006 @ Sicily
Am I late if I'm charging one of my two N900's right now?

The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to debernardis For This Useful Post:
Originally Posted by debernardis View Post
Am I late if I'm charging one of my two N900's right now?
It's never too late (or too early) to fire up the N900.

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to malfunctioning For This Useful Post:

Tags
maemo 5, nokia n900, supertroopers!