Active Topics

http://www.engadget.com/2010/08/24/s...-teaser-video/

Can someone hurry up and release a meego tablet.

I like the look of 7 inches. Thought it was going to be too big but looks ideal for web browsing lying down in bed.

Last edited by etuoyo; 2011-03-25 at 12:23.

The Following 7 Users Say Thank You to etuoyo For This Useful Post:
Posts: 3,524 | Thanked: 2,958 times | Joined on Oct 2007 @ Delta Quadrant
One word: AWESOME.

This looks like great hardware any way that you slice it. While many of the android tablets look mediocre (at best), this one looks like an incredibly solid offering! I'm looking forward to it, and will be paying attention for September 2nd unveiling.

I'm interested in a MeeGo tablet as well, but I think I'm going to stick with a notebook and Ubuntu for productivity. Having a convenient pick-up-and-use android tablet is sounding very nice (especially if I can root and install debian for a robust CLI), with a bevy of apps/games to choose from.

Of course, my mind isn't made up just yet, and will wait to hear the reviews.

PSX4Droid + Samsung Galaxy Tab = FUN

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=S1lfZ...eature=related (galaxy s)

Wow! If I can use my BT headset with a sip client, I'm sold.

Perfect ebook reader, casual surfing device, casual gaming unit. 7" seems perfect.

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Capt'n Corrupt For This Useful Post:
Posts: 4,672 | Thanked: 5,455 times | Joined on Jul 2008 @ Springfield, MA, USA
Agreed.

The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to danramos For This Useful Post:
Guest | Posts: n/a | Thanked: 0 times | Joined on
I'm about to go two up on the Samsung Galaxy S line. This... looks... awesome.

The Following User Says Thank You to For This Useful Post:
I'm honestly surprised that there is not more chatter around this device. Generally in this forum, I find there's either an 'I love it' or 'it sucks next to the n900 because <insert reason>'.

Perhaps this is a device that is so envied, that nobody can justify a valid complaint against it? But as it's not Nokia, can it be that it's similarly not gushed about? Am I poking the hornet's nest?

Right now, a prepaid service in my area offers $7 for 125mb data (lasts one week). This translates to roughly 4-5 hours of SIP talk time (GSM single channel), or a whole lot of SSHing! . As I am rarely away from WiFi, this is PERFECT for me when using a 3G tablet like the Galaxy Tab. I need only spend $7 here and there, when I actually need to be mobile, which is admittedly rarely, but a godsend when I actually need it!

It's a drag that, this tablet doesn't do cell calls (assumption), as I still need to carry around a mobile phone when ducking out momentarily. However, my phone is also prepaid and I barely use it so it costs me peanuts per year: ~$40. If it does do cell calls, then it's a no-brainer for me, and it's purchase will be a top priority.

Either way, I'm really, *really* looking forward to this device.

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Capt'n Corrupt For This Useful Post:
Imagine playing these on a 7" device?!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bQKyb...eature=related
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1hDAxK_amVs
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=n8OyB...eature=related
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WJCmr...eature=channel

Wow! I wonder if it will be clocked higher than the Galaxy S?

Something tells me that it will play these games even smoother with Froyo on the tab. The Dell streak seems to chew through these games at a wonderful clip: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dCYvCYsuwV0 (horrible camera, but running at full speed), and the Galaxy Tab will almost certainly outgun it.

Posts: 5,795 | Thanked: 3,151 times | Joined on Feb 2007 @ Agoura Hills Calif
See ENDLESS discussion before the release of the N900 saying that a device needs to be POCKETABLE. No one wants 7" except people interested in niche devices like me! Nokia is so lucky to have missed out of the sales that they would have gotten with a reader or another tablet!

The Following 6 Users Say Thank You to geneven For This Useful Post:
Posts: 2,142 | Thanked: 2,054 times | Joined on Dec 2006 @ Sicily
This is exactly what I need for my family - for me I won't abandon the pocketable concept and Maemo/Meego. Depending on how much it costs, I think I am getting one. Of course, if we have a Meego tablet before the end of the year, I'll take that.

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to debernardis For This Useful Post:
Originally Posted by geneven View Post
See ENDLESS discussion before the release of the N900 saying that a device needs to be POCKETABLE. No one wants 7" except people interested in niche devices like me! Nokia is so lucky to have missed out of the sales that they would have gotten with a reader or another tablet!
I think that the 9.7" iPad has shown that there is want for a larger-than-pocketable device. I think Acer (I could be wrong about this) has gone on record in saying that the iPad has eaten into it's netbook sales, which is indicative that it's market penetration has been significant. Weather or not the market will like a 7" Galaxy Tab remains to be seen. However I'm personally very interested!

That said, the Galaxy Tab is positioned quite well. It's a small device -- 7" -- fit for a small bag or a purse, but allows for convenient and comfortable access to online content. While I'm sure you are not going to be banging out any spreadsheets using this device, it's certainly useful for taking in a book, surfing a recipe, playing a quick game (chrono cross anyone?!), or even showing-off some pictures to friends. In this way, it capitalizes on the key characteristics of the N8x0 series, only will likely have a far better experience.

I use my N810 to this day! It's a wonderful companion, although the size, the speed, and the software leave something to be desired. The Galaxy Tab is perfect for me as it will remedy these problems, and add 3G to the mix for mobile access, and a usable rear/front camera. With a debian CLI (chrooted, no doubt), Swype for composing emails, and the wonderfully compliant browser, I'll actually be able to use it for productive work, when on the road. It will also make a nice laptop companion as I'll be able to use it as a reference window, or document viewer to aid me as I work.

The Following User Says Thank You to Capt'n Corrupt For This Useful Post:

Tags
android envy, buzz..buzz buzz, core failure, crapdroid, galaxy fap, galaxy tab, ipad killer, samsung, tab trolls, tablet envy