Active Topics

http://www.phonearena.com/phones/Sam...XY-Note_id6116

spec's & size make this one of the few things I might actually consider as a N900 replacement - at 5.3" it's probably - just - pocketable, and has a big enough screen to accomodate a virtual k/b without totally obscuring the display.

I like the sound of the built-in stylus & supporting app's too, and the spec's are pretty impressive in general. I wonder what it will cost, and if the operators will sell it as a big phone (i.e. offer it as an upgrade on existing phone contracts) or a small tablet?

EDIT - the 2500mAh removable battery & NFC support are nice too :-)

If you buy a niche, highly modifiable smartphone and proceed to mess it up by blindly screwing around, don't just blame the phone, also blame yourelf.

Last edited by Pigro; 2011-09-01 at 13:13.

The Following 11 Users Say Thank You to Pigro For This Useful Post:
Posts: 1,513 | Thanked: 2,248 times | Joined on Mar 2006 @ US
Originally Posted by Pigro View Post
http://www.phonearena.com/phones/Sam...XY-Note_id6116

spec's & size make this one of the few things I might actually consider as a N900 replacement - at 5.3" it's probably - just - pocketable, and has a big enough screen to accomodate a virtual k/b without totally obscuring the display.

I like the sound of the built-in stylus & supporting app's too, and the spec's are pretty impressive in general. I wonder what it will cost, and if the operators will sell it as a big phone (i.e. offer it as an upgrade on existing phone contracts) or a small tablet?
Is the stylus just for note taking or can it be used, for example, for selecting links in a browser?

no idea - sounds like it's being marked primarily as a note taking aid (comes with "S memo" app for drawing/note-taking) but I *assume* that it is useable as a general capacitive stylus.

If you buy a niche, highly modifiable smartphone and proceed to mess it up by blindly screwing around, don't just blame the phone, also blame yourelf.

Posts: 1,259 | Thanked: 1,341 times | Joined on Oct 2009 @ Germany
As far as I'm able to see it runs Android - so no replacement. The Hardware Keyboard is anyway missing.

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Helmuth For This Useful Post:
Posts: 114 | Thanked: 239 times | Joined on Jan 2011 @ Greece
As a phone, it flat out does not work for me. 5,3 inches of screen size (bring on the jokes) are ridiculous. I don't want to carry around and try to talk on a service saucer, or cause an updraft that will suck small children and animals in the air every time I pull it quickly out of a pocket. As a PDA/ second device to carry in a backpack though, for notes it could work (I take it that the stylus has wacom-like functionality). I won't get it because I made my mind to buy the N9 and I'm not made of money, but I can see the appeal.

Posts: 2,142 | Thanked: 2,054 times | Joined on Dec 2006 @ Sicily
The official samsung video on youtube is quite teasimg; shows also some neat tricks, like freehand selection of images from web and co[y/paste to notes: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jlgVL...e_gdata_player

The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to debernardis For This Useful Post:
I can totally appreciate that it's too big to be the mobile phone for most folks. If you're like me however and take a mobile call about twice a month, but use it heavily for texting, email & browsing/remote access through the day, then its deficiencies as a phone form factor have to be taken on balance. IF (and I do mean IF) it will fit in a jeans pocket without crippling me, THEN I may consider it - for my 2 calls a month, I can always run into a dark alley or crawl under a table before answering to avoid the ridicule :-)

Understood on the lack of k/b Helmouth, I'm loath to give it up too, but there are so few genuine alternatives to the N900 available that I'm starting to consider it as a possibility, and the bigger screen does compensate to an extent.

I'll wait until it's in the shops and can be demo'd - if the salesman & his shoehorn can get the beast into my pocket, we'll take it from there ...

The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Pigro For This Useful Post:
Moderator | Posts: 2,622 | Thanked: 5,447 times | Joined on Jan 2010
I like and a wireless mac keyboard can be the best companion to make it a mini laptop

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to qwazix For This Useful Post:
Originally Posted by Pigro View Post
If you're like me however and take a mobile call about twice a month,
unbelievable.... are u based/working in the middle of sahara and fly to cairo once a month??

that is really infrequent man....

Originally Posted by IcyMoustache View Post
unbelievable.... are u based/working in the middle of sahara and fly to cairo once a month??

that is really infrequent man....
Ok, maybe more like 2 per week then - and I was only talking about received calls ... I do make quite a few outgoing calls on my mobile (cos I have the bundled minutes+skype) but I generally make them from home much more than while out & about.

I don't work any more (other than a very small residual consultancy/support gig which is dealt with almost exclusively by email/remote access), and all my friends are either very local (so I see them without the need to call other than in exceptional cases) or far enough away that email/text/social media tend to be the usual way I stay in touch.

I know my calling profile is abnormal - but I'm basically borderline phobic about unneccessary phone conversation, life's too short :-)

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Pigro For This Useful Post:

Tags
android, galaxy note