Active Topics

Hi all,

I knew the 256M rootfs problem has a walk around \opt solution.

But I am thinking about the Android's a app2sd program.
App2sd allow user apps to be installed on a sd card and therefore do not require ROM space.

Can Maemo do that?

To my knowledge, if you want to save rootfs space, apps for N900 should be optified first before being installed.

Why Android apps do not need this step?

I am new to both Maemo and Android, and I am not saying android is superior to Maemo.

But it is interesting to compare the app install process of both. Right?

Thanks

Android by default doesn't have Apps2SD.. in fact I think you need to root to get it(?)..

So by default Android apps suffer the same problem as the N900 root.. only as many apps as the internal storage can hold.

The /opt solution for the N900 is pretty much a direct equivalent of Android's Apps2SD as it's placing the bulk (or all) of the app on the internal 32GB SD card vice the rootfs.

So effectively, they are both similar as is. (unless I'm right about the rooting of Android; means it's a bit more difficult to get an "opt" solution for Android than for the N900).
pyRadio - Pandora Radio on your N900, N810 or N800!

Hi fatalsaint,

I think you are right.

Maemo is unparalleled in its openess.
Gaining root in Android is really difficult due to both Google and device manufacturer.

That's why I am here.

The opt solution is not just a 'work-around', it's been put in place for this very reason, ideally anything you install should install the main big files in opt but links to binaries and libraries should be installed in rootfs - as such these should not take up more than a 100kb of rootfs space.

But the problem is not maemo, it's the developers not having time to change the application so that everything is on opt, this will take time, but it will happen.

If it were upto me i'd install maemo on the 2GB opt partition and use the 256mb as fast ram instead.