Active Topics

Hi there,

I was wondering if anyone could fill me in on some details about the N900's music player . Mainly, I'm wondering about the following:

1. Does it play FLAC?
2. Does it read ReplayGain tags for MP3/FLAC/WMA/OGG?
3. Does it have a decent EQ? I'd love to know the type (semiparametric, parametric, graphic) and how many bands of EQ there are...
4. Does it display embedded as well as separate (i.e. stored in a JPG file in the same folder as the music) album art?

Thanks in advance

The Following User Says Thank You to bemymonkey For This Useful Post:
Originally Posted by bemymonkey View Post
Hi there,

I was wondering if anyone could fill me in on some details about the N900's music player . Mainly, I'm wondering about the following:

1. Does it play FLAC?
3. Does it have a decent EQ? I'd love to know the type (semiparametric, parametric, graphic) and how many bands of EQ there are...
4. Does it display embedded as well as separate (i.e. stored in a JPG file in the same folder as the music) album art?

Thanks in advance
1. No, but someone might write a plugin at a later date.
2. I doubt it.
3. No eq.
4. Don't know.

The Following User Says Thank You to Ovek For This Useful Post:
OK, thanks for the info, guess I'll be sticking with my Cowon iAudio7 for music playback for the time being

Posts: 3,404 | Thanked: 4,474 times | Joined on Oct 2005 @ Germany
1. Does it play FLAC?
Yes, if you install Ogg-Support.

I don't think so.

No, there is no equalizer.

It displays embedded album art in MP3 files. It does not display JPGs in the same folder as album art. But. MediaBox, which is currently being under development for the N900 will do both.

The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to pycage For This Useful Post:
OK, thanks for the info, guess I'll be sticking with my Cowon iAudio7 for music playback for the time being
Yea the n900 won't come close to matching a Cowon device for music, not even dedicated music phones do. I suppose its the price we all pay for having a 'do all' device.

Posts: 2,669 | Thanked: 2,555 times | Joined on Apr 2007 @ Halifax, Nova Scotia, Canada
Also, there's a album art downloader for the N900 called something like Google-album-art-downloader.

Posts: 1,255 | Thanked: 393 times | Joined on Oct 2009 @ US
The EQ issue is kind of lame (really lame if no fix). My Dash is growing old in the tooth, but allows EQ support though Coreplayer and actually sounds very good (in spite of the USB audio adapter) and also allows pre-amp function. Surely the new chipset allows better support than my Tmo Dash.

Can media apps support an EQ, or is that part of the hardware not developed to support EQ?

I use 13ohm UE's so have a good point for audio quality reference- the Dash really does sound better than expected for audio. Ironically, it sounds WAY better than my Archos 5, which is not hard to do. A5 is great for video but sucky for audio quality.

Last edited by Rushmore; 2009-10-18 at 16:18.

Posts: 290 | Thanked: 472 times | Joined on Dec 2007 @ Gothenburg, Sweden
Hi there,
There is a workaround.. using Mp3gain on you tracks on the n900 http://mp3gain.sourceforge.net/

Posts: 2,669 | Thanked: 2,555 times | Joined on Apr 2007 @ Halifax, Nova Scotia, Canada
Bashing the N900 media player app for not having an EQ is like bashing a Honda Civic for not having Lambo doors.

The Following User Says Thank You to zerojay For This Useful Post:
Originally Posted by claesbas View Post
There is a workaround.. using Mp3gain on you tracks on the n900 http://mp3gain.sourceforge.net/
I don't want to modify my files, other than tagging them. ReplayGain is definitely the way to go...

Originally Posted by zerojay View Post
Bashing the N900 media player app for not having an EQ is like bashing a Honda Civic for not having Lambo doors.
Actually, it's more like bashing a Honda Civic without doors for not having any doors... every MP3 player I've ever owned had at least a simple 5-band graphic EQ.

The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to bemymonkey For This Useful Post:

Tags
feature request, pre brainstorm