Notices

Posts: 388 | Thanked: 842 times | Joined on Sep 2009 @ Finland
Update: The functionality of camkeyd has been integrated into shortcutd.

I have created an application called 'camkeyd' which allows the camera button (focus) to be used to access the dashboard from fullscreen applications. I find it especially useful with the web browser when I have the hardware keyboard closed.

Currently there are no configuration options whatsoever, installing the package enables the daemon and removing the package disables it. Light press (focus) accesses the dashboard (only when the lens cover is on, so it does not interfere with normal camera operation). Unfortunately it does not work on desktop and it does not resume last application on second press (I don't know if that's possible at all).

Camkeyd is currently available in extras-devel (user/system). I'm not sure if its user-friendly enough to enter extras(-testing) just yet, but it works for me.

If you try it, please give some feedback. The usual warning about extras-devel applies (do not enable/use it if you're not ready for a reflash etc...)

About adding features:
- I do not know if previous application can be easily resumed, XSetInputFocus had no effect
- I am unsure whether the default action of launching the camera with full button press can be overridden, so there is not much reason for any configuration options

Last edited by hqh; 2010-01-06 at 22:11.

The Following 28 Users Say Thank You to hqh For This Useful Post:
Posts: 516 | Thanked: 643 times | Joined on Oct 2009 @ Denmark/Poland
Similar one: http://talk.maemo.org/showthread.php?t=35427

As far as I know, it is not possible to just resume to the previous application.
As you can see, I'm simply emulating ctrl-backspace, so my hack works everywhere, including desktop. Maybe you could use it?

Useful links for newcomers:
Użyteczne linki:
Nowi użyktownicy mówią cześć | New members say hello , Tu zaczynają nowi użytkownicy | New users start here, Podforum społeczności | Community subforum, Wiki dla początkujących | Beginners' wiki page, Maemo5 101, Często zadawane pytania | Frequently Asked Questions (FAQ), Google

Jeżeli mogę w czymś pomóc, pytaj!
If I can help with anything else, just ask!

Bored? Follow me

The Following 7 Users Say Thank You to hopbeat For This Useful Post:
Originally Posted by hopbeat View Post
Similar one: http://talk.maemo.org/showthread.php?t=35427

As far as I know, it is not possible to just resume to the previous application.
As you can see, I'm simply emulating ctrl-backspace, so my hack works everywhere, including desktop. Maybe you could use it?
Yeah, that could be a good way to make it work on desktop also.

I've uploaded a new version which sends ctrl-backspace instead of using dbus. It now works from the desktop too. Thanks to hopbeat for the code.

The Following 9 Users Say Thank You to hqh For This Useful Post:
Installed on my device and working perfectly. This makes full-screen usage really nice. Thanks!

The Following User Says Thank You to codeMonkey For This Useful Post:
Posts: 103 | Thanked: 44 times | Joined on Sep 2009 @ Nashville, TN
Is there any drawback to installing both at the same time? I think both would have their practical uses.

Originally Posted by jsuggs View Post
Is there any drawback to installing both at the same time? I think both would have their practical uses.
You can use both at the same time.

We are planning to combine the proximity sensor and camera key functionality into a single program in the future. Maybe even with a control panel plugin for configuration.

The Following 6 Users Say Thank You to hqh For This Useful Post:
Posts: 1,656 | Thanked: 1,196 times | Joined on Apr 2008 @ Alabama, USA
ok one problem I have found is that if you use this and load applet to take a screenshot you end up with screen shots of dashboard. Anyway to have your program disable if someone is about to take a screenshot with load applet?

**All Posts are made as a Community Member and not as a Super Moderator of this site.

The Following User Says Thank You to andrewfblack For This Useful Post:
Posts: 516 | Thanked: 643 times | Joined on Oct 2009 @ Denmark/Poland
I will answer, as we are merging the projects (with mine proximity dashboard): we will add the option to disable functions when certain apps are running (the example you gave, quake 3 and proximity sensor etc.). Thanks for noting this.

Useful links for newcomers:
Użyteczne linki:
Nowi użyktownicy mówią cześć | New members say hello , Tu zaczynają nowi użytkownicy | New users start here, Podforum społeczności | Community subforum, Wiki dla początkujących | Beginners' wiki page, Maemo5 101, Często zadawane pytania | Frequently Asked Questions (FAQ), Google

Jeżeli mogę w czymś pomóc, pytaj!
If I can help with anything else, just ask!

Bored? Follow me

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to hopbeat For This Useful Post:
Posts: 1,656 | Thanked: 1,196 times | Joined on Apr 2008 @ Alabama, USA
nice to see you guys are merging can't wait to see the final project.

**All Posts are made as a Community Member and not as a Super Moderator of this site.

Tags
button, camera, control, dashboard, fremantle, maemo, maemo 5, n900, shutter