Notices

Is the download problem still not solved? Bought the app when it first appeared in the store, tried downloading 4-5 days in a row, got the maximum downloads message, paid for the app again today, but seems the problem still remains. Is there any way I can get hold of the deb file and install myself. The app seems promising and I'm anxious to try it out.

Posts: 594 | Thanked: 1,094 times | Joined on Aug 2012 @ Rhine
Hi,

i tested the app 3 days now, and i really love the UI and usability. It was ok to record a track that lasted about 2 hours. Interactive replay is great, i would suggest something like a play / pause button.

The big problems came, when i was on a 3-day-tour and tried to record longer tracks, i started at about 10am and was on tour until about 6pm, but sadly it was impossible to record such a long track.

I tried it the first day with battery about 70% and no PSM etc. the battery died after 4 hours and the track was gone.
The second day, i made a new try, battery at 99%, PSM and Flightmode on to save battery, but the battery also died after 6 hours and the track was gone.

Long story short, battery consumption is far too heavy.

On the third day, i used Track@Way to compare the impact on the battery, it used only about 20% of the battery for recording 8 hours (from 92% to 72%).

Is there anything you can do to reduce the consumption?

Apart from that, great app!

Last edited by Leinad; 2013-04-02 at 15:04.

Posts: 144 | Thanked: 36 times | Joined on Jan 2010 @ New Zealand
Originally Posted by raniets View Post
Is the download problem still not solved? Bought the app when it first appeared in the store, tried downloading 4-5 days in a row, got the maximum downloads message, paid for the app again today, but seems the problem still remains. Is there any way I can get hold of the deb file and install myself. The app seems promising and I'm anxious to try it out.
PM the application developer - he has been active & responsive on the thread...

Posts: 37 | Thanked: 48 times | Joined on Sep 2012 @ East Timor
Originally Posted by raniets View Post
search on google: MeeRun Sports Tracker

Thanks for the feedback! I will have a look at the battery issue, the app itself does not require that much energy but there must be a reason for it. Do you use the map? MeeRun's screensaver? Standard screensaver? Another reason might be the animation of the GPS bars (above the Lap/Stop buttons), I will try to make more tests!

Originally Posted by Leinad View Post
Hi,

i tested the app 3 days now, and i really love the UI and usability. It was ok to record a track that lasted about 2 hours. Interactive replay is great, i would suggest something like a play / pause button.

The big problems came, when i was on a 3-day-tour and tried to record longer tracks, i started at about 10am and was on tour until about 6pm, but sadly it was impossible to record such a long track.

I tried it the first day with battery about 70% and no PSM etc. the battery died after 4 hours and the track was gone.
The second day, i made a new try, battery at 99%, PSM and Flightmode on to save battery, but the battery also died after 6 hours and the track was gone.

Long story short, battery consumption is far too heavy.

On the third day, i used Track@Way to compare the impact on the battery, it used only about 20% of the battery for recording 8 hours (from 92% to 72%).

Is there anything you can do to reduce the consumption?

Apart from that, great app!

Originally Posted by kodematem View Post
search on google: MeeRun Sports Tracker
??????????

Originally Posted by bwalter View Post
Thanks for the feedback! I will have a look at the battery issue, the app itself does not require that much energy but there must be a reason for it. Do you use the map? MeeRun's screensaver? Standard screensaver? Another reason might be the animation of the GPS bars (above the Lap/Stop buttons), I will try to make more tests!
I did not use the map or the MeeRunn screensaver, i just kept in in my pocket and did nothing else with the phone. On the second day i even turned LPS off to save battery.
Maybe sometimes GPS-Signal was weak, although i never was in buildings, but in the woods.

Maybe the easiest test, you can make to reproduce this, ist just turning recording on and then just let it run for some hours.

Are there any calculations for correction or something like that running in the background? Maybe they get heavier and heavier, when time / track get longer?

No, the power needed for calculation should be limited and does not grow with time.

Until now, I have found that the GPS itself is the major battery eater. A possible optimization (maybe used by Track@Way?) is to disable GPS during pauses and wake up when a move is detected by the accelerometer.

I will try to perform more measurements (already did a few ones using the energy profiler).

I did not use the map or the MeeRunn screensaver, i just kept in in my pocket and did nothing else with the phone. On the second day i even turned LPS off to save battery.
Maybe sometimes GPS-Signal was weak, although i never was in buildings, but in the woods.

Maybe the easiest test, you can make to reproduce this, ist just turning recording on and then just let it run for some hours.

Are there any calculations for correction or something like that running in the background? Maybe they get heavier and heavier, when time / track get longer?

The Following User Says Thank You to bwalter For This Useful Post:
Originally Posted by bwalter View Post
No, the power needed for calculation should be limited and does not grow with time.

Until now, I have found that the GPS itself is the major battery eater. A possible optimization (maybe used by Track@Way?) is to disable GPS during pauses and wake up when a move is detected by the accelerometer.

I will try to perform more measurements (already did a few ones using the energy profiler).
Something like auto-pause would be good, though i don't know if it's used in Track@Way like this. What i found MeeTrainer and Track@Way and some other apps is the possibility to set the record interval, i think, this is something that could also help...
the interval seems to be extremely "dynamic" at the moment, when i go through the track i recorded by replay , it varies from 2s to 6min.

Something like auto-pause would be good, though i don't know if it's used in Track@Way like this. What i found MeeTrainer and Track@Way and some other apps is the possibility to set the record interval, i think, this is something that could also help...
the interval seems to be extremely "dynamic" at the moment, when i go through the track i recorded by replay , it varies from 2s to 6min.
The record interval is actually 1s but depending on the current speed and accuracy, some values will be filtered/averaged and the final record will have higher intervals.

For example:
- moving slowly and/or bad GPS signal: higher interval
- moving fast and/or good GPS signal: smaller interval

That said, a smaller interval, while useful for accuracy, may require more energy. If it is the case, custom intervals will be added to the filter dialog.

The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to bwalter For This Useful Post: