Notices

Posts: 488 | Thanked: 107 times | Joined on Sep 2009 @ Asgard / Midgard / London
So far I've only found a discussion in N810:
http://talk.maemo.org/showthread.php...light=tube+app

However, recently on my Blackberry, I installed a couple of free apps: TubeBuddy (live departure boards and where trains are) and Tube (which is also available on iphone). Both use data from tfl.gov.uk apparently.

The latter (Tube) seems much nicer as it has a scrollable map (on a friends iphone you scroll around with touch rather than the rollerball). You can choose route planner which tells you where you need to change stations and lines. That part shouldn't be too difficult as it's just a database, however the actual time of travel will take longer, unless they just use a set interval between stations.

Anyway, the latter has adverts, which is a little annoying but for a free app, it's ok I guess.

Is there any similar app that could be made for the N900? I have a jpeg/gif image I used before in my N82 which can be downloaded from the tfl.gov.uk site, but a nice fancy app would be nice too

Guest | Posts: n/a | Thanked: 0 times | Joined on
Large Tube Map Image + Hildon PannableArea = Pannable tube map

Maybe something along the lines of MaeMaps that takes whatever Metro/Tube page (e.g. www.wmata.com) and combines it with a map?

"Meamo!" sounds like what Zorro would say to catherine zeta jones... after she slaps him for looking at her dirtily...

Metromap had been ported at some point, see also this thread.

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to lma For This Useful Post:
https://garage.maemo.org/projects/metromap/

This is a Python app, which makes modifications nice and easy. I have a version somewhere with a modified screen layout that was easier for me to use, if the standard isn't good enough ping me and I'll dig it out.

I had also planned to hook into TfL and grab journey time estimates, but haven't got round to it (yet...?).

Anyway give it a go and patches welcome.

The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to lardman For This Useful Post:
Posts: 64 | Thanked: 32 times | Joined on Apr 2008 @ Cambridge/London
Is the acceleronometer accurate enought to estimate where you are on the journey?

As a general train 'next stop' would be fun.

Though specific to the metro/subway question...I'm curious as to what other environmental ques there might be down there?

Oh yeah a 'best carriage for exit' would be a nice feature too.

Posts: 488 | Thanked: 107 times | Joined on Sep 2009 @ Asgard / Midgard / London
Originally Posted by lardman View Post
https://garage.maemo.org/projects/metromap/

This is a Python app, which makes modifications nice and easy. I have a version somewhere with a modified screen layout that was easier for me to use, if the standard isn't good enough ping me and I'll dig it out.

I had also planned to hook into TfL and grab journey time estimates, but haven't got round to it (yet...?).

Anyway give it a go and patches welcome.
Thanks, I'll have to try it out when the N900 hits.
To make it more universal, does it just use a jpg or gif file to scroll around on? That way the NYC metro etc can easily be added. The tricky thing is to actually use the graphic file and select a station and look up departure times.

I would guess that a database of lines with tube stations can cross reference each table to find where the changes are. eg.

Picadilly Line:
1 Cockfosters
... (intervening stations)
9 Finsbury Park
13 King's Cross
Green Park
etc etc

While for Victoria Line:
Walthamstow
Seven Sisters
Finsbury Park
King's Cross
Green Park

The table would be equal where they both have Finsbury Park, King's Cross and Green Park so we know they are the change points. The number on the left denotes which station in order it would be.

I'm not sure if that's the best way of doing it, thinking just off the top of my head, but having a database like that could make it easy to load database/picture files for each metro around the world that people may submit?

I probably should have posted this topic in the morning when Londoners were awake ...!

liqbase is your friend (at least for the touch scrolling). Where is lcuk

I'll probably just download the largest resolution tube map I (or rather Google) can find and just pan around it, Also with the browser you can call up tfl.gov.uk and use their journey planner.