Posts: 604 | Thanked: 108 times | Joined on Feb 2010 @ Phoenix, WA
http://www.nokiausa.com/find-product...unlocked201008

I was going to check out the N8 and saw this link, which is nice. Makes nokiausa a little more relevant.

For those who don't know, almost noone buys an unlocked phone here in the USA, 'they are too expensive'.

Posts: 236 | Thanked: 149 times | Joined on Jul 2007 @ Finland
Does anyone else have the problem, that the first paragraph ends with "Some featured products include: " and nothing after... like there was supposed to be a list of phones.

Originally Posted by Naranek View Post
Does anyone else have the problem, that the first paragraph ends with "Some featured products include: " and nothing after... like there was supposed to be a list of phones.
yes, same thing here. someone should write to them :P

Guest | Posts: n/a | Thanked: 0 times | Joined on
Originally Posted by SAABoy View Post
For those who don't know, almost noone buys an unlocked phone here in the USA, 'they are too expensive'.
But it's really more expensive. I have to ask... whilst in the US, how many times do you change your GSM carrier?

In one way or another, I've been with AT&T since '95. Can't say that I'm happy, I've used Suncom - which was bought by T-Mobile - but in the area I'm currently, there's no real good coverage for data.

And an unlocked phone doesn't grant you cheaper data, voice or bundle prices for the most part. You still have to pay for all of that crap.

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to For This Useful Post:
Posts: 36 | Thanked: 20 times | Joined on Nov 2009 @ Austin, TX
Originally Posted by gerbick View Post
But it's really more expensive.
And an unlocked phone doesn't grant you cheaper data, voice or bundle prices for the most part. You still have to pay for all of that crap.
Not necessarily so, if I had an Android device, no matter the carrier, I would certainly be paying more than I do now (for both voice and data), and there's no option with most carriers to get just voice service with any subsidized smartphone.

Choice is good for consumers, bad for companies.

Originally Posted by gerbick View Post
But it's really more expensive. I have to ask... whilst in the US, how many times do you change your GSM carrier?
Never actually, but I have ventured outside the country and enjoyed my phone not being locked to my carrier. What I'd rather see is carriers start offering cheaper plans for people who don't go for the subsidized phones, but it's too easy for them to just bone everyone.

Seriously, I could get a smartphone now and pay the same monthly. This is only viable because the carriers run unchecked.

Well it depends, if I buy via the carrier I -must- get the more expensive plans. I haven't upgraded my AT&T service since getting my N900 (no way am I paying $30/mo for 2.5G.)

Overall it's only more expensive to buy unlocked because the carriers screw you six ways to Sunday. If you do buy unlocked, you have to really want to and frankly, I'd rather do it if it means the carrier isn't dictating how my device works.

The Following User Says Thank You to wmarone For This Useful Post:
Posts: 282 | Thanked: 337 times | Joined on Dec 2009 @ Austin, TX, USA
My unlocked N9pp plus a month-to-month plan on T-mobile usa was a little less than the total cost of a similarly priced phone with the discount and contract plan over two years. And I am beholden to nobody.

Of course my N900 only works on T-Mobile 3G. I used it for a week or so on AT&T when I got it, but with GSM only. So I am not stuck with T-Mobile, but I can't realistically use my phone elsewhere. In spite of that, I say let freedom ring. Own your phone.

not true i think ive got a good deal,

the basic t-mobile even more plus for 29.99 a month. plus 9.99 internet, so about 40+taxes a month.

Posts: 4,384 | Thanked: 5,524 times | Joined on Jul 2007 @ ˙ǝɹǝɥʍou
When calculating the price increase, make sure you're comparing apple to apple.

It doesn't make much sense to compare a plan that includes thousands of free minutes, text and data plan with some sort of basic prepaid plan with more expensive airtime and whatnot; and attribute the price increase to the supposed phone price.
Agro ... : [###-------] | Relic(s) : iPhone 4S, Atrix, Milestone, N900, N800, N95, HTC G1, Treos, Zauri, BB 9000, BB 9700, etc

Follow the MeeGo Coding Competition!

The Following User Says Thank You to ysss For This Useful Post:
Originally Posted by Viny View Post
not true i think ive got a good deal,

the basic t-mobile even more plus for 29.99 a month. plus 9.99 internet, so about 40+taxes a month.
Yup, I'm going to be switching to this soon. sooo nice. Could we do this with a 'locked' phone we bought from t-mobile? Im pretty sure not.